Linux substitute for Dreamweaver

walt
Hello all:

I have a friend that is trying to convert all of his computing over to
Ubuntu based Linux.  A major holdup is that he maintains several WEB
sites on a volunteer basis.  He is using Dreamweaver for this purpose
and hasn't been able to find a Linux based alternate.  What can I tell
him to do?

Thanks.

   Walt

--
----- Walt Jamison, W7PRB  [hidden email]-----

Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweaver

ubuntu-users mailing list
21 April 2018  at 9:23, walt wrote:
Linux substitute for Dreamweaver (at least in part)

>Hello all:
>
>I have a friend that is trying to convert all of his computing over to
>Ubuntu based Linux.  A major holdup is that he maintains several WEB
>sites on a volunteer basis.  He is using Dreamweaver for this purpose
>and hasn't been able to find a Linux based alternate.  What can I tell
>him to do?

Use a plain text editor <G>

Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweaver

Gerhard Magnus-2
On 04/21/2018 09:40 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 21 April 2018  at 9:23, walt wrote:
> Linux substitute for Dreamweaver (at least in part)
>
>> Hello all:
>>
>> I have a friend that is trying to convert all of his computing over to
>> Ubuntu based Linux.  A major holdup is that he maintains several WEB
>> sites on a volunteer basis.  He is using Dreamweaver for this purpose
>> and hasn't been able to find a Linux based alternate.  What can I tell
>> him to do?
>
> Use a plain text editor <G>

What a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweaver

Robert Heller
At Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:40:48 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 21 April 2018  at 9:23, walt wrote:
> Linux substitute for Dreamweaver (at least in part)
>
> >Hello all:
> >
> >I have a friend that is trying to convert all of his computing over to
> >Ubuntu based Linux.  A major holdup is that he maintains several WEB
> >sites on a volunteer basis.  He is using Dreamweaver for this purpose
> >and hasn't been able to find a Linux based alternate.  What can I tell
> >him to do?
>
> Use a plain text editor <G>

Or (better probably) migrate the sites to WordPress.

There are some quasy "WYSIWYG" HTML editors out there, at least one open
source one that runs under Linux.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweaver

21 April 2018  at 10:42, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweave (at least in part)

>On 04/21/2018 09:40 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> 21 April 2018  at 9:23, walt wrote:
>> Linux substitute for Dreamweaver (at least in part)

>>> Hello all:

>>> He is using Dreamweaver for this purpose
>>> and hasn't been able to find a Linux based alternate.  What can I tell
>>> him to do?

>> Use a plain text editor <G>

>What a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that?

I "had" DreamWeaver on my system for a while but found I only used it "IF"
there was a feature I didn't know how to code, so I took up a lot of (disk)
space for no real gain, I could just as easy Google for that feature, and when
I did try to use it to make a compleate page, that page was huge compeared to
my plain text editor, If he really needs DW would it not run under Wine?

It seems that if he does not have version CS3 (9) or CS4 (10) of DW all other
versions work to at least the silver level (whatever that means) see

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=183

that would at least mean he has software he is familia with

Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweaver

Kaj Haulrich
On 21-04-2018 20:10, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 21 April 2018  at 10:42, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweave (at least in part)
>
>> On 04/21/2018 09:40 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>> 21 April 2018  at 9:23, walt wrote:
>>> Linux substitute for Dreamweaver (at least in part)

>>> Use a plain text editor <G>
>
>> What a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that?
>
> I "had" DreamWeaver on my system for a while but found I only used it "IF"
> there was a feature I didn't know how to code, so I took up a lot of (disk)
> space for no real gain, I could just as easy Google for that feature, and when
> I did try to use it to make a compleate page, that page was huge compeared to
> my plain text editor, If he really needs DW would it not run under Wine?
>
> It seems that if he does not have version CS3 (9) or CS4 (10) of DW all other
> versions work to at least the silver level (whatever that means) see
>
> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=183
>
> that would at least mean he has software he is familia with

If you really, really need a wysiwyg editor:

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

It's a bit outdated, but for relatively simple webdesigns fairly decent.
Scroll down on that page for a 64-bit version.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
Sent from my 100% Microsoft-free computer
----- running Linux Kubuntu 18.04 -----

Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweaver

Jim Byrnes-4
On 04/21/2018 01:10 PM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 21 April 2018  at 10:42, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Re: Linux substitute for Dreamweave (at least in part)
>
>> On 04/21/2018 09:40 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>> 21 April 2018  at 9:23, walt wrote:
>>> Linux substitute for Dreamweaver (at least in part)

>>> Use a plain text editor <G>
>
>> What a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that?
>
> I "had" DreamWeaver on my system for a while but found I only used it "IF"
> there was a feature I didn't know how to code, so I took up a lot of (disk)
> space for no real gain, I could just as easy Google for that feature, and when
> I did try to use it to make a compleate page, that page was huge compeared to
> my plain text editor, If he really needs DW would it not run under Wine?
>
> It seems that if he does not have version CS3 (9) or CS4 (10) of DW all other
> versions work to at least the silver level (whatever that means) see
>
> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=183
>
> that would at least mean he has software he is familia with

Or maybe use a VM to run windows and Dreamweaver. That's how I use
TurboTax to do my taxes.

Regards,  Jim

On 21 April 2018 at 18:23, walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I have a friend that is trying to convert all of his computing over to
> Ubuntu based Linux.  A major holdup is that he maintains several WEB sites
> on a volunteer basis.  He is using Dreamweaver for this purpose and hasn't
> been able to find a Linux based alternate.  What can I tell him to do?

What version?

Some older ones seem to run well on WINE:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=183

If plain WINE is too hard, I *highly* recommend Crossover, which works
very well and makes it much easier.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/adobe-dreamweaver-cs6

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/adobe-dreamweaver-cc

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053