LoCo Census

Daniel Holbach-2
Hello everybody,

while we all wait for two bugs to get fixed in the LoCo Directory ([1],
[2]) which would allow us to get very basic information about what's
going on in LoCo teams, I'd still like to ask a bit for a bit of general
feedback from you.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/559228
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/605651

If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.

 * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?
 * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
   joining/leaving?
 * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?
 * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
   (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
   you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
   or expired in the last cycle/year?

Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
a couple of results we can discuss them together.

Have a great day, and keep up the good work,
 Daniel

Re: LoCo Census

Rafael Carreras-3
2011/1/25 Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]>:

> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.

Catalan LoCo Team

>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Almost the same, maybe a little less at the beginning of the cycle.

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>   joining/leaving?

None joining, two leaving (expired).

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

Yes, a year.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>   (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>   you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>   or expired in the last cycle/year?

Two expired.

--
Rafael Carreras Guillén
http://rcarreras.caliu.cat

Re: LoCo Census - Ubuntu QC

Fabián Rodríguez
On 11-01-25 05:27 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
Hi Daniel, I am answering for Ubuntu Quebec here.

> while we all wait for two bugs to get fixed in the LoCo Directory ([1],
> [2]) which would allow us to get very basic information about what's
> going on in LoCo teams, I'd still like to ask a bit for a bit of general
> feedback from you.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/559228
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/605651
>

> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.
>
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?
What's a cycle ? If last year, I'd say it's less activity. Release
parties are not such a novelty anymore and most regular events are now
Ubuntu Hours, which have increased both in # of locations and frequency.
>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>    joining/leaving?
People that joing do so only when specifically directed. It's still
difficult to join for anyone not speaking English. Most members end up
expiring unless automatically renewed or actively reminded to renew.
>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?
1 year, automatic expiry (no external rules to renew)
>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>    (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>    you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>    or expired in the last cycle/year?
20 of 49 that expired did so in the last year
> Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
> a couple of results we can discuss them together.
>
> Have a great day, and keep up the good work,
>  Daniel

Re: LoCo Census

Greg Grossmeier-2
On 01/25/2011 05:27 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,

Hi Daniel!

>   * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Generally, about the same. Which means, I wish we could have done more.

>   * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>     joining/leaving?

Joining: About the same as always. Maybe a little bit more.
Leaving: see below.

>   * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

No.

>   * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>     (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>     you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>     or expired in the last cycle/year?

Looks like maybe just one (since I can't see when they deactivated
themselves, just when they joined).

> Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
> a couple of results we can discuss them together.

You're welcome and yes, I'd be curious to hear reasons why we should set
an auto-expirey on our team. I like the idea of knowing a more accurate
number of people *actually* *still* interested in the team, and maybe
for that I should just count how many are subscribed to our mailing list
(still hosted on lists.ubuntu.com, not Launchpad).

> Have a great day, and keep up the good work,

You too! Thanks, Daniel!

Greg

Re: LoCo Census

Michael Kotsarinis
2011/1/25 Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]>

Hi Daniel and fellow LoCos!

Greek LoCo Team

 * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Almost the same, there is though increased talk in our forum and IRC as more people become familiar with Ubuntu and we try to help them contribute as well

 * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
  joining/leaving?

We have a launchpad team but it doesn't have much "traffic" as it is usually used by people contributing (our main "meeting" point is our forum which is over 7000 members now and the last months (after 10.10) we 've seen an increased interest).

 * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?\

No we don't have one.

Have a nice day everyone!

Michael Kotsarinis

Re: LoCo Census

Michael Wood-10
Hi Daniel,

  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Similar if not the same

  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
    joining/leaving?

153 joined our team in 2009
170 joined our team in 2010

  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

No

  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
    (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former  <https://launchpad.net/%7EYOURTEAM/+members#former>  - only works if
    you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
    or expired in the last cycle/year?

One deactivated in 2010 compared to 6 in 2009

Might be of interest:
http://www.michaelwood.me.uk/wordpress/2010/03/02/ubuntu-uk-launchpad-team-growth/

Michael

Re: LoCo Census

Darcy Casselman
Ubuntu Canada, reporting in!

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Daniel Holbach
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Probably down a little, in terms of events.  The Maverick cycle had
some things (like Software Freedom Day) which don't apply to this
cycle.  Ubuntu Hours, release parties and Jams are about the same.

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>   joining/leaving?

4 new members since 10-10-10.  It's not something we promote heavily.

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

Nope.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>   (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>   you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>   or expired in the last cycle/year?

None.

Darcy.

Re: LoCo Census

Galen DeBord
Missouri Ubuntu LOCO Team

* In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?
 We are just restarting a previously defunct team so there has been a lot of increase in activity

* If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
  joining/leaving? We have quite a few (5-10) and many more becoming more active

* Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?
 I am only aware of one member with a expiration date based upon the Launchpad site

* If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
  are there many that got deactivated or expired in the last cycle/year?
 We had one drop out in June of last year and he was deactivated

Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
a couple of results we can discuss them together.
 We're looking for support resources and advice on building up the Ubuntu Missouri LOCO team
email me here as the contact person if you would,
                                                                    Thanks
                                                                Windwalker

Re: LoCo Census

Jessica Ledbetter

Howdy :) Looks like a great addition.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
 * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

More active.

 * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
  joining/leaving?

Not a lot of new members since 10.10 and can't tell when folks left.

 * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

I believe new members are set to expire in a year from join date.

 * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
  (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
  you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
  or expired in the last cycle/year?

8 are listed but I'm not sure when they left. I'd love to know why and when.

Jessica
US-Virginia

Re: LoCo Census

Leandro Gómez
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everybody,

while we all wait for two bugs to get fixed in the LoCo Directory ([1],
[2]) which would allow us to get very basic information about what's
going on in LoCo teams, I'd still like to ask a bit for a bit of general
feedback from you.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/559228
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/605651

If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.

 * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

We had 27 events in 2010 vs. 33 events in 2009. One of the reasons behind the decrease in activities was that we focused more on the community during this cycle. A significant amount of time went also to the reapproval process.

* 6 hacklabs and workshops for the community in 2010 vs. 0 in 2009
* Started working on 3 new community projects
* Updated website
* Created brand guidelines for the team
* Complete reorganization of community teams, projects and assets

 * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
  joining/leaving?

3.5% (7) increase in membership ((previously) open LP team), 1 of them in the M cycle
24% (7) increase in official members in 2010, 6 of them in the M cycle

 * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

No.

 * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
  (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
  you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
  or expired in the last cycle/year?

1 member deactivated in 2010? LP only shows the date they joined the team.

Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
a couple of results we can discuss them together.

Have a great day, and keep up the good work,
 Daniel

Re: LoCo Census

cprofitt-2
On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 11:27 +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.
>
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

The activity level is roughly the same, but we have seen an increase in
activity in areas that did not have activity before.

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>    joining/leaving?

We added 9 new members since October 2010 and lost 9 members since then
as well.

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

Yes.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>    (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>    you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>    or expired in the last cycle/year?

Since October 9 people have left; 23 for the year 2010. We gained 42
people in 2010 though.

> Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
> a couple of results we can discuss them together.

Thanks for gathering the information.

~ cprofitt

Re: LoCo Census

Daniel Holbach-2
Am 01/25/2011 11:27 AM, schrieb Daniel Holbach:

> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.
>
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?
>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>    joining/leaving?
>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?
>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>    (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>    you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>    or expired in the last cycle/year?

Anyone else?

Have a great day,
 Daniel

Re: LoCo Census

YoBoY

For the ubuntu-fr LoCo Team...

2011/1/25 Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]>
Hello everybody,

while we all wait for two bugs to get fixed in the LoCo Directory ([1],
[2]) which would allow us to get very basic information about what's
going on in LoCo teams, I'd still like to ask a bit for a bit of general
feedback from you.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/559228
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/605651

If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.

 * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

I think it was the same, without global jams (sorry), but with more IRC meetings.

 * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
  joining/leaving?

We use Launchpad only to maintain the source code of our web applications and for the LoCo team contacts. We plan to use it also for an official LoCo member status. All our teams on Launchpad are restricted.

 * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

Not yet, but we plan to introduce one with the new ubuntu-fr-member status

 * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
  (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
  you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
  or expired in the last cycle/year?

no

Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
a couple of results we can discuss them together.

Have a great day, and keep up the good work,
 Daniel

Thanks for your work

YoBoY

Re: LoCo Census

Dmitry Agafonov-4
Russian LoCo Team (big country, it is hard to be real "local" group)

> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.
>
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Natty cycle is about the same (low) regarding activity as during
Maveric, there were much more events during LTS cycle.

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>   joining/leaving?

LP team (launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ru) is the way we organize our
structure so there are lot of subteams (local and working groups) and
*-users team which was specially set up for people who just want to
denote they use ubuntu but not ready to actively participate right
now.
So, we have a lot members joining and leaving in total but core of the
team is stable (+/- 1-2 member/year).

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

Yes, most of the working groups have different membership expiry.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>   (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>   you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>   or expired in the last cycle/year?

Below 10 for local/working groups and hundreds for ~ubuntu-ru-users.

--
Dmitry Agafonov

Re: LoCo Census

Richard JOHNSON-5
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:27:27AM +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,

Hello and hugs!

[...]

Team: Ubuntu Chicago

>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Compared to Lucid or the Maverick cycle, at this time we are about the same
possibly a little low. We do have events coming up here in Chicago that
will get us all together a bit more frequently to do various activities as
a LoCo team.

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>    joining/leaving?

Joining/leaving is slow. We have had a few new members show up recently and
nobody has left within the last year.

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

No we do not.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>    (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>    you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>    or expired in the last cycle/year?

Maybe 1, but I can't find it in email notifications either, so I would have
to say none at this time.

> Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
> a couple of results we can discuss them together.

Thank you Daniel! Remember to call me if you want to discuss something as I
am not on IRC as much anymore.

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
  WWW|  http://www.ubuntu.com
Email|  [hidden email]
GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Re: LoCo Census

Vojtěch Trefny
2011/1/25 Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]>:

> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.
>
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

Compared to Lucid or the Maverick cycle, at this time the activity is
about the same,
maybe a little lower.

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>   joining/leaving?

We have Launchpad team, but we're not using it. Sometimes someone join
the team but it's omly several people per year.

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

No.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>   (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>   you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>   or expired in the last cycle/year?

We've only two "deactivated" members.

Ubuntu Czech Republic (ubuntu-cz)

--

Vojtěch Trefný

Re: LoCo Census

Aviv Sapire-2
On 25 January 2011 12:27, Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

 * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

The activity is about the same, though we have made a great progress as a community.

 * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
  joining/leaving?

We do use a launchpad team. since 10/10 we had about 15 joins.

 * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

No we don't have.

 * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team  are there many that got deactivated

  or expired in the last cycle/year?

There are 4 people who got deactivated.

I'll just add that we want our launchpad team open. It is not a team for official members (we don't have these sort of status)
everybody who wants can join the team.

Have a great day, and keep up the good work,
 Daniel

cheers and a pleasant weekend, serfus, Israeli LoCo PoC :)

serfus @ irc.freenode, #ubuntu-il

Re: LoCo Census

Chris Crisafulli
On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 12:00 +0000,
[hidden email] wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:27:27 +0100
> From: Daniel Holbach <[hidden email]>
> To: "Ubuntu local community team (LoCo) contacts"
>         <[hidden email]>
> Subject: LoCo Census
>
> Hello everybody,

Hey there !!!

> while we all wait for two bugs to get fixed in the LoCo Directory
> ([1],
> [2]) which would allow us to get very basic information about what's
> going on in LoCo teams, I'd still like to ask a bit for a bit of
> general
> feedback from you.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/559228
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/605651
>

> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.
>
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

A little slower than in the past, Hopefully things will start picking up
soon!

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>    joining/leaving?

We had about 18 join and 1 left LP, since @ UDS. I do think a hanful
more have unsubscribed from the team mailing list.

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

We have no expiration policy set for the team at the moment.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>    (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>    you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>    or expired in the last cycle/year?
>
> Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we
> have
> a couple of results we can discuss them together.
>
> Have a great day, and keep up the good work,
>  Daniel

Re: LoCo Census

J Mark Cox-2
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everybody,

> If you could reply back to the list and give a brief (one line answers
> are totally fine) update on the following questions, that'd be great.
>
>  * In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

I think the NC team is down a bit over all media (IRC, mailing list,
and LP). Hopefully we'll see things pick-up moving toward the 11.04
release date.

>  * If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
>   joining/leaving?

We have 91 LP members, I recall 86 when we became an approved LoCo
team. A total of 8 have deactivated themselves for various reasons.
The team mailing list membership is up.

>  * Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

Not on LP; the mailing list is set to the server's default mailman for bounces.

>  * If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
>   (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
>   you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
>   or expired in the last cycle/year?

I suppose it is the 8 I see as deactivated. I do not see a field for
when they deactivated.

> Thanks a lot for giving some brief feedback on this. Maybe once we have
> a couple of results we can discuss them together.

I think our LoCo doesn't use LP very much. We could probably make
better use of Blueprints; despite the heavy techy population of NC I
doubt we'll see a team PPA. Perhaps links to team members PPA's would
be appropriate.

-mark

> Have a great day, and keep up the good work,
>  Daniel

Re: LoCo Census

Flemming Christensen-2
Hello

I am answering as a stand in for jarlen,our regular loco-contact - from
the Danish team:

>* In this cycle, how was activity compared to the cycle before?

I should say more activity: in Aarhus, the second largest town in
Denmark we participate in what we call Open Space (meetings and lectures
together with other Linux/Open Source people) on a regular basis, there
were a couple of arrangements in public malls, and this spring we
participate in Open Source Days. We run a very active Forum, which has
recently had a serious overhaul and been brought up to state of the art.
Support is also ongoing on irc, but the schedule for regular irc
meetings has been tuned down a little.

>* If you use a Launchpad team for your LoCo, did you have many people
joining/leaving?

We do use a Launchpad team (Ubuntu DK) which is growing steadily. At the
moment there are 41 members as compared to ab. 30 last year.

>* Do you have an expiry policy set for your team?

No - as of January we noticed that most of the group, administrators
included, were expiring at the end of January although we were all
active - but in the nick of time the date was set to infinity. I don't
suppose that another data will be set, as members of the group are
active in support or setting up other activities.

>* If you have a look at the list of former members of your team
  (https://launchpad.net/~YOURTEAM/+members#former - only works if
    you're admin/owner of the team) are there many that got deactivated
   or expired in the last cycle/year?
I'm not an administrator, but to my knowledge none or at the most a few
have been deactivated.

yours flemming christensen (laoshi)

--
http://stromata.dk