Local ShipIt offices?

Danko Alexeyev
Don't know if this wass discussed, but anyway

I just got my 1110 CDs and I'm going to distribute them in Latvia. I'll
send them by mail to those who ask me.

The idea is: what if we could create local ShipIt offices - one or more
for each country - that would redistribute Ubuntu on territory of that
country. Instead of sending many packages from Canonical, there could be
one _big_ crate per country and then LoCo would redistribute it. This
would be way faster and cheaper. An ShipIt order to particular country
could be automatically forwarded to the LoCo and they could proccess it
and change it's status. This wouldn't be hard to do, I don't see any
problems here.

Ubuntu Team Latvia is ready to do this. All we need is a little, well,
you know, support to organize the shipments.

Re: Local ShipIt offices?

Matthew East
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 19:08 +0200, Danko Alexeyev wrote:

> Don't know if this wass discussed, but anyway
>
> I just got my 1110 CDs and I'm going to distribute them in Latvia. I'll
> send them by mail to those who ask me.
>
> The idea is: what if we could create local ShipIt offices - one or more
> for each country - that would redistribute Ubuntu on territory of that
> country. Instead of sending many packages from Canonical, there could be
> one _big_ crate per country and then LoCo would redistribute it. This
> would be way faster and cheaper. An ShipIt order to particular country
> could be automatically forwarded to the LoCo and they could proccess it
> and change it's status. This wouldn't be hard to do, I don't see any
> problems here.
>
> Ubuntu Team Latvia is ready to do this. All we need is a little, well,
> you know, support to organize the shipments.
Yes this has been discussed quite a bit. I think the position is this:

* You are free to order and distribute cd's, as indeed you have done
from what you say in your email.
* As for local distributors being paid by Canonical to distribute
things, I will let someone from Canonical give you an "official" answer,
but I believe the answer is: if you have a legitimate proposal which
will work and save them money, write to them directly, at the address on
the shipit website.

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: Local ShipIt offices?

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On di, 2005-11-22 at 19:08 +0200, Danko Alexeyev wrote:

> I just got my 1110 CDs and I'm going to distribute them in Latvia.
> I'll send them by mail to those who ask me.

Same here, I give people the choice to wait 4 weeks for shipit or pay
the shipping costs (around €1,50) and wait just a few days :)
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org