Looking for old computers

Gareth France-2
I'm working on a new project and need to ask for your help. Here in High
Wycombe we have a pop up shop which can be rented to try out new
business ideas before committing to long term leases etc. I am wanting
to launch a new service offering sales and support aimed at home and
small business users. My main focus will be on promoting Ubuntu but in
order to demonstrate the versatility of Linux I wanted to have a 486 (or
possibly early Pentium) running Damn Small Linux or Slitaz.

My problem is that 486s seem to be going for silly money on ebay, so
would anyone have one propping up a table leg they could donate to the
cause?

Thanks
Gareth

Re: Looking for old computers

Dan Andrews

Hi Gareth,

I don't know if it is exactly what you're looking for, but I've got an old(ish) Toshiba equium with a pentium processor that's running 32-bit Ubuntu 14.04.

I'd be more than happy to bring it along if you're interested.

Dan Andrews

On 12 Jun 2015 8:16 am, "Gareth France" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm working on a new project and need to ask for your help. Here in High
Wycombe we have a pop up shop which can be rented to try out new
business ideas before committing to long term leases etc. I am wanting
to launch a new service offering sales and support aimed at home and
small business users. My main focus will be on promoting Ubuntu but in
order to demonstrate the versatility of Linux I wanted to have a 486 (or
possibly early Pentium) running Damn Small Linux or Slitaz.

My problem is that 486s seem to be going for silly money on ebay, so
would anyone have one propping up a table leg they could donate to the
cause?

Thanks
Gareth

Re: Looking for old computers

Gareth France-2
Dan,
        It's a step in the right direction, ideally though I'd like to find
something at the extreme bottom range of what is still usable. I know
slitaz will run on a 486 very quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.
Of course it doesn't have the support you'd want for promoting it to
customers but it highlights very well that you don't need to upgrade,
upgrade, upgrade when you diversify from M$.

On 12/06/15 08:26, Dan Andrews wrote:

> Hi Gareth,
>
> I don't know if it is exactly what you're looking for, but I've got an
> old(ish) Toshiba equium with a pentium processor that's running 32-bit
> Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> I'd be more than happy to bring it along if you're interested.
>
> Dan Andrews
>
> On 12 Jun 2015 8:16 am, "Gareth France" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I'm working on a new project and need to ask for your help. Here in High
>     Wycombe we have a pop up shop which can be rented to try out new
>     business ideas before committing to long term leases etc. I am wanting
>     to launch a new service offering sales and support aimed at home and
>     small business users. My main focus will be on promoting Ubuntu but in
>     order to demonstrate the versatility of Linux I wanted to have a 486 (or
>     possibly early Pentium) running Damn Small Linux or Slitaz.
>
>     My problem is that 486s seem to be going for silly money on ebay, so
>     would anyone have one propping up a table leg they could donate to the
>     cause?
>
>     Thanks
>     Gareth

Re: Looking for old computers

Stuart Ward

On 12 June 2015 at 08:29, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
ideally though I'd like to find something at the extreme bottom range of what is still usable. I know slitaz will run on a 486 very quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.

Gareth

I am sure we have something like that it the various computers bits at rLab, Pop by and have a look.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Re: Looking for old computers

Bruno Girin-2

On 12 June 2015 at 15:55, Stuart Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12 June 2015 at 08:29, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
ideally though I'd like to find something at the extreme bottom range of what is still usable. I know slitaz will run on a 486 very quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.

Unfortunately all I've got is 2 Pentium M laptops that are gathering dust, which sounds over-powered. I will ask around.

Bruno

Re: Looking for old computers

Gareth France-2
Ah yes, thank you for the offer. I have been meaning to visit you for
years but family commitments now prevent such luxuries as hobbies! I
will try to stop by some time and see. It would be great to get some
feedback on my ideas also.

On 12/06/15 15:55, Stuart Ward wrote:

> On 12 June 2015 at 08:29, Gareth France <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     ideally though I'd like to find something at the extreme bottom
>     range of what is still usable. I know slitaz will run on a 486 very
>     quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.
>

> Gareth
>
> I am sure we have something like that it the various computers bits at
> rLab, Pop by and have a look.
>
> rlab.org.uk <http://rlab.org.uk>
>

> -- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Re: Looking for old computers

George DiceGeorge
Torios is being developed for old computers, PAE
http://torios.net/more-new-features/

It's a step in the right direction, ideally though I'd like to find
something at the extreme bottom range of what is still usable. I know
slitaz will run on a 486 very quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.
Of course it doesn't have the support you'd want for promoting it to
customers but it highlights very well that you don't need to upgrade,
upgrade, upgrade when you diversify from M$.

On 12/06/15 08:26, Dan Andrews wrote:

> Hi Gareth,
>
> I don't know if it is exactly what you're looking for, but I've got an
> old(ish) Toshiba equium with a pentium processor that's running 32-bit
> Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> I'd be more than happy to bring it along if you're interested.
>
> Dan Andrews
>
> On 12 Jun 2015 8:16 am, "Gareth France" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I'm working on a new project and need to ask for your help. Here in
> High
>     Wycombe we have a pop up shop which can be rented to try out new
>     business ideas before committing to long term leases etc. I am wanting
>     to launch a new service offering sales and support aimed at home and
>     small business users. My main focus will be on promoting Ubuntu but in
>     order to demonstrate the versatility of Linux I wanted to have a 486
> (or
>     possibly early Pentium) running Damn Small Linux or Slitaz.
>
>     My problem is that 486s seem to be going for silly money on ebay, so
>     would anyone have one propping up a table leg they could donate to the
>     cause?
>
>     Thanks
>     Gareth

Re: Looking for old computers

Gareth France-2
Looks different. What is it based on?

On 12/06/15 21:43, George DiceGeorge wrote:
> Torios is being developed for old computers, PAE

Re: Looking for old computers

Barry Drake
On 12/06/15 21:44, Gareth France wrote:
> Looks different. What is it based on?

Hey - I'm really interested in this.  I quote from the Torios website:
"ToriOS, a GNU/Linux Distribution based on Ubuntu LTS, will be
potentially one of the strongest systems available for NON-PAE machines".

--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/

On 12/06/15 22:06, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 12/06/15 21:44, Gareth France wrote:
>> Looks different. What is it based on?
>
> Hey - I'm really interested in this.  I quote from the Torios website:
> "ToriOS, a GNU/Linux Distribution based on Ubuntu LTS, will be
> potentially one of the strongest systems available for NON-PAE machines".

I have chosen to use Zorin, I think it offers the best mix of low spec
performance and familiar interface for new users.

Re: Looking for old computers

Gareth France-2
I'm thinking about popping over to see if you can help with finding an
old pc. What are the opening hours please?

On 12/06/15 15:55, Stuart Ward wrote:

> On 12 June 2015 at 08:29, Gareth France <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     ideally though I'd like to find something at the extreme bottom
>     range of what is still usable. I know slitaz will run on a 486 very
>     quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.
>

> Gareth
>
> I am sure we have something like that it the various computers bits at
> rLab, Pop by and have a look.
>
> rlab.org.uk <http://rlab.org.uk>
>

> -- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Re: Looking for old computers

Stuart Ward
Wednesday evenings it is open to the public.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    ideally though I'd like to find something at the extreme bottom
    range of what is still usable. I know slitaz will run on a 486 very
    quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.

Gareth

I am sure we have something like that it the various computers bits at
rLab, Pop by and have a look.

rlab.org.uk <http://rlab.org.uk>

-- Stuart Ward M <a href="tel:%2B44%207782325143" value="+447782325143" target="_blank">+44 7782325143

Re: Looking for old computers

andres

El Fri, 19-06-2015 a las 08:29 +0100, Stuart Ward escribió:

> Wednesday evenings it is open to the public.
>

> -- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143
>
> On 17 June 2015 at 18:51, Gareth France
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         I'm thinking about popping over to see if you can help with
>         finding an old pc. What are the opening hours please?
>
>         On 12/06/15 15:55, Stuart Ward wrote:
>
>                 On 12 June 2015 at 08:29, Gareth France
>                 <[hidden email]
>                 <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                     ideally though I'd like to find something at the
>                 extreme bottom
>                     range of what is still usable. I know slitaz will
>                 run on a 486 very
>                     quickly and it looks as modern as any OS.
>

>                 Gareth
>
>                 I am sure we have something like that it the various
>                 computers bits at
>                 rLab, Pop by and have a look.
>
>                 rlab.org.uk <http://rlab.org.uk>
>

>                 -- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

RichmondMakerlabs open Tuesday evenings from 7:30 pm we have a load of
PCs and laptops that if you can give them life it would be great for our
monthly coder dojos.

Re: Looking for old computers

Gareth France-2
Sorry, what exactly are you proposing here?

Thanks
Gareth

El Fri, 19-06-2015 a las 13:46 +0100, Gareth France escribió:

> Sorry, what exactly are you proposing here?
>
> Thanks
> Gareth
>
> On 19/06/15 13:20, Andres wrote:
> >
> > RichmondMakerlabs open Tuesday evenings from 7:30 pm we have a load of
> > PCs and laptops that if you can give them life it would be great for our
> > monthly coder dojos.

No, I'm sorry, as I did not read your email correctly.

My comment must have read really cheeky, I'm sorry as I thought you
where offering to fix computers and I was proposing the ones donated to
our CIC.

--
http://richmondmakerlabs.uk
http://www.coderdojoham.org/

Re: Looking for old computers

Gareth France-2
As tempting an offer as that is I'm afraid I don't have the time so
spare for that sort of thing. Sorry.

On 19/06/15 08:29, Stuart Ward wrote:
> Wednesday evenings it is open to the public.

Yesterday, I collected a computer from someone the local Freecycle
group.  It had no power supply or hard drive, but otherwise is OK.  I
rigged it up with an old spare power supply and it booted from a DVD.
Torios is fantastic - but why doesn't the first screen tell you that
you'll almost certainly have to use the nomodeset parameter with any
older gear?  This computer is an old Sony - Pentium 4 a700 MHz and 256
Mb.  But I have had to use nomodeset on a far newer and faster box that
I've been running 14.04 on ....

I'd have thought that on something like Torios, this would have been a
'must have' with an extra option to boot with nomodeset and a little
notice about why ...

But yes - Torios is really good.  Strange that the Torios terminal
doesn't recognise lshw though.  Any idea why this might be?

Regards, Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/

Re: Looking for old computers

Simon Greenwood

On 23 June 2015 at 09:56, Barry Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Probably because it's a minimal install and the expectation could be that you don't need it for a desktop system. I find in my day job that their provisioning varies on servers, and 99% of ours are CentOS.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

Re: Looking for old computers

Barry Drake
Hi there ...   I mentioned getting good results with Tori OS on an old
pentium 4.  It didn't like Zorin, but since then I've resurrected a
newer computer that would run 14.04 Lubuntu, but was a bit stretched.  I
tried Zorin.  It has none of the freedom of Ubuntu.  It is very heavily
branded and 'locked in'.  To get a useable Firefox, I had to purge
Firefox, and then delete the entire .firefox directory.  It contained a
number of unidentifiable binaries so it's anybodies guess how they've
crippled it.  Downloading an archive from the Firefox site, and running
that was the only way to get something decent.  I'm sure there will be
intrusive hacks in other programs - I just haven't found them yet.

If anyone comes up with a better option than Zorin, I'll get it!

Regards, Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/

Re: Looking for old computers

Colin Law
On 25 June 2015 at 10:11, Barry Drake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If anyone comes up with a better option than Zorin, I'll get it!

Have you tried ubuntu mate?  I have found it good on old PCs

Colin