Lynis on Ubuntu 18 out of date

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lynis on Ubuntu 18 out of date

マスターズ・イアン
Folks

I noticed that my Lynis utility, which I don't use that much, was sending me messages & I thought I'd install it via apty instead of the tarball version. However the version in the Ubuntu repos is v2.6.2 while the latest actual version is 275 released on  2018-02-13.

Does anyone know why Ubuntu is lagging so far behind? Is Lynis deemed to be unnecessary? Is there something better?

Thanks

Ian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lynis on Ubuntu 18 out of date

Matthew Crews
On 10/7/19 8:59 PM, マスターズ・イアン wrote:

> Folks
>
> I noticed that my Lynis utility, which I don't use that much, was
> sending me messages & I thought I'd install it via apty instead of the
> tarball version. However the version in the Ubuntu repos is v2.6.2 while
> the latest actual version is 275 released on  2018-02-13.
>
> Does anyone know why Ubuntu is lagging so far behind? Is Lynis deemed to
> be unnecessary? Is there something better?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian
>
File a bug report, or contact the package maintainer. Be aware though
that upstream Debian is still using 2.6.2, so until Debian updates to
the newest version, Ubuntu will most likely not either.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lynis on Ubuntu 18 out of date

マスターズ・イアン

> File a bug report, or contact the package maintainer. Be aware though
> that upstream Debian is still using 2.6.2, so until Debian updates to
> the newest version, Ubuntu will most likely not either.

Matthew

Thanks for the reply.

I've just noticed (after reading this: https://kifarunix.com/how-to-perform-system-security-auditing-with-lynis-on-ubuntu-18-04/) that Cisofy maintain a Debian repo, so that would appear to be the best way on Ubuntu to keep the version current.

Ian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lynis on Ubuntu 18 out of date

Ken D'Ambrosio
... or use their PPA:
https://packages.cisofy.com/community/#debian-ubuntu

On 2019-10-08 03:11, マスターズ・イアン wrote:

>> File a bug report, or contact the package maintainer. Be aware though
>> that upstream Debian is still using 2.6.2, so until Debian updates to
>> the newest version, Ubuntu will most likely not either.
>
> Matthew
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I've just noticed (after reading this:
> https://kifarunix.com/how-to-perform-system-security-auditing-with-lynis-on-ubuntu-18-04/)
> that Cisofy maintain a Debian repo, so that would appear to be the
> best way on Ubuntu to keep the version current.
>
> Ian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lynis on Ubuntu 18 out of date

マスターズ・イアン
Well, their PPA is basically an Ubuntu specific repo, isn't it?

The PPA is specifically mentioned on the page link I gave.

Ian

On 2019/10/08 19:03, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> ... or use their PPA:
> https://packages.cisofy.com/community/#debian-ubuntu
>
> On 2019-10-08 03:11, マスターズ・イアン wrote:
>>> File a bug report, or contact the package maintainer. Be aware though
>>> that upstream Debian is still using 2.6.2, so until Debian updates to
>>> the newest version, Ubuntu will most likely not either.
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> I've just noticed (after reading this:
>> https://kifarunix.com/how-to-perform-system-security-auditing-with-lynis-on-ubuntu-18-04/)
>> that Cisofy maintain a Debian repo, so that would appear to be the
>> best way on Ubuntu to keep the version current.
>>
>> Ian
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users