MYSQL update

surruk51
Hi
I am on Hardy Heron (do not want to be a guinea pig, I want to USE
Ubuntu rather than play with it). I just had an update of MySQL which
failed because it could not close MySQL. I presume that was because it
needed a password and did not have it.

Anyway, I closed it myself using

mysqladmin -uroot -p stop

(Respose was
root@chris-u:/etc/init.d# mysqladmin -uroot -p stop
Enter password:
Slave stopped
)

However, even having closed it the update would still not run.

I checked on the web for problems with MySQL updates and saw a bug
raised that might be the same problem, but no comment on it.

Has anyone else experienced/got around this?

The error message was:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_all.deb:
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb:
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Re: MYSQL update

Hal Burgiss

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Chris Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi
I am on Hardy Heron (do not want to be a guinea pig, I want to USE
Ubuntu rather than play with it). I just had an update of MySQL which
failed because it could not close MySQL. I presume that was because it
needed a password and did not have it.

It almost sounds like the mysql system user is gone missing. Do you still have a mysql account like 'debian-sys-maint', and does it have the password it needs? Also, have you checked syslog for a better error message?

--
Hal

Re: MYSQL update

surruk51
On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 10:50 +0000, [hidden email]
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Chris Jeffries <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Hi
>         I am on Hardy Heron (do not want to be a guinea pig, I want to
>         USE
>         Ubuntu rather than play with it). I just had an update of
>         MySQL which
>         failed because it could not close MySQL. I presume that was
>         because it
>         needed a password and did not have it.
>
> It almost sounds like the mysql system user is gone missing. Do you
> still have a mysql account like 'debian-sys-maint', and does it have
> the password it needs? Also, have you checked syslog for a better
> error message?
>
> --
> Hal

Spot on. Thank you. I had hacked the user file to transfer users over
from a Windows system (not all that successfully) and trashed the debian
maint. user (I did not realise there was one) in the process.

Since I rarely use mysqladmin, I had also used the stop command instead
of the shutdown command. I shall really have to learn what I am doing
before doing it!!!

Chris.

Re: MYSQL update

Hal Burgiss
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:13:40PM +0800, Chris Jeffries wrote:

> > It almost sounds like the mysql system user is gone missing. Do you
> > still have a mysql account like 'debian-sys-maint', and does it have
> > the password it needs? Also, have you checked syslog for a better
> > error message?
>
> Spot on. Thank you. I had hacked the user file to transfer users
> over from a Windows system (not all that successfully) and trashed
> the debian maint. user (I did not realise there was one) in the
> process.
>
> Since I rarely use mysqladmin, I had also used the stop command
> instead of the shutdown command. I shall really have to learn what I
> am doing before doing it!!!

AFAIK, this is a debian convention. I learned mysql elsewhere and got
bit by this right off the bat with Ubuntu.

It is one serious gotcha about moving databases around from one system
to another.

--
Hal