Machine name

jean gruneberg
Hi all

OK stupid move of the week.... busy setting up a small ubuntu server on
my LAN and when building the pc to to act as file server, my stupid
trick was not to set a machine name during the build, and I would like
to change it to fall in line with the other pc's on the LAN.

Where do I do that?

Ta

Jean

Re: Machine name

Anders Karlsson-2
On 11/22/05, Gruneberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> OK stupid move of the week.... busy setting up a small ubuntu server on
> my LAN and when building the pc to to act as file server, my stupid
> trick was not to set a machine name during the build, and I would like
> to change it to fall in line with the other pc's on the LAN.
>
> Where do I do that?

/etc/hostname

If you mant to set a domain name, have a look at /etc/sysctl.conf

--
Anders Karlsson <[hidden email]>

Re: Machine name

Alf Vahau
If that's the same as hostname then look under
Computer->System Configuration->Networking

Click on General tab

HTH,

Alfred,

Gruneberg wrote:

> Hi all
>
> OK stupid move of the week.... busy setting up a small ubuntu server
> on my LAN and when building the pc to to act as file server, my stupid
> trick was not to set a machine name during the build, and I would like
> to change it to fall in line with the other pc's on the LAN.
>
> Where do I do that?
>
> Ta
>
> Jean

Re: Machine name

Bill Marcum
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:37:36 +0200, Gruneberg
  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> OK stupid move of the week.... busy setting up a small ubuntu server on
> my LAN and when building the pc to to act as file server, my stupid
> trick was not to set a machine name during the build, and I would like
> to change it to fall in line with the other pc's on the LAN.
>
> Where do I do that?

Use the "hostname" command to change the name immediately, and put the
name in /etc/hostname to make it permanent.  If you use a static IP
address, you can add it to /etc/hosts.

--
Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space.

Re: Machine name

jean gruneberg
Alfred Vahau wrote:
> If that's the same as hostname then look under
> Computer->System Configuration->Networking
>
> Click on General tab

Thanks all for the help.....

Jean