Mail Delivery / Amavis / Spamassassin etc

Mail Delivery / Amavis / Spamassassin etc

Steven Heimann
On Friday I took the leap and replaced our firewall at work based on
RedHat 9.0? with Ubuntu 5.10.  It went surprisingly smoothly.

I seem to have postfix on the firewall working as a relay to our
internal mail server (Lotus Domino) and Amavis-new working with Clamav
and Spamassassin.  Over the next few months I plan to migrate all the
mail off the Domino server and onto Linux . (Domino is actually running
on Linux but it is still proprietary and getting in the way of plans for
improvement)

In the past, although I have run Spamassassin on the firewall its
effectiveness has been limited.  I think this was because I didn't have
the ability to integrate any sort of Bayesian analysis into the system
because I couldn't get Spamassassin access to the Domino store.  I
simply took the delete any mail with a score over 7 strategy and used
rules du jour occasionally.

On the new mail server this shouldn't be a problem.  I will transfer the
spamassassin functionality from the firewall to the mail server so I can
have users file the spam into local folders and run the Bayesian
analysis.  At the moment I have Spamassassin tagging the subjects of the
email.  I think this is a bad idea because that will affect the
Spamassassin analysis.

I have a number of questions.

I haven't yet worked out how to integrate this analysis into the server.
It appears Evolution is set up with this integrated.  Is it better to
let Evolution handle it?  However, because I still have some Lotus
clients I think I want to try to integrate this into the mail server.

I can't seem to find how the Ubuntu mail is delivered from postfix to
the user.  Is procmail used?  How would I arrange for identified spam to
be delivered to a separate folder in each users mail store?

I have been using offlineimap as a method of reading emails from the
Domino server to my own computer for a couple of weeks and it is quick
and reasonably reliable.  I plan to use it to transfer each users mail
from the old to the new system progressively.  Should I try to set up
each users mail using maildir or keep the mail inside Evolution's own
store?

My users need to have remote access to their mail.  I am inclined to
keep their mail stores outside Evolutions native store and use
offlineimap to sync mail to their laptops.  Which imap server would
people recommend?  There seems to be too many choices.

I am sorry this is a bit long and rambling but I couldn't see how to
make it more concise.

Thank you
Steven

Re: Mail Delivery / Amavis / Spamassassin etc

Mario Guerra
It's a pleasure to help ypu about this. I've been installing a
Postfix/Spamassassin/Clamav/Amavisd-new in a number of servers and it
work great. Let's see:

2005/11/6, Steven Heimann <[hidden email]>:

> On Friday I took the leap and replaced our firewall at work based on
> RedHat 9.0? with Ubuntu 5.10.  It went surprisingly smoothly.
>
> I seem to have postfix on the firewall working as a relay to our
> internal mail server (Lotus Domino) and Amavis-new working with Clamav
> and Spamassassin.  Over the next few months I plan to migrate all the
> mail off the Domino server and onto Linux . (Domino is actually running
> on Linux but it is still proprietary and getting in the way of plans for
> improvement)
>
> In the past, although I have run Spamassassin on the firewall its
> effectiveness has been limited.  I think this was because I didn't have
> the ability to integrate any sort of Bayesian analysis into the system
> because I couldn't get Spamassassin access to the Domino store.  I
> simply took the delete any mail with a score over 7 strategy and used
> rules du jour occasionally.
>
> On the new mail server this shouldn't be a problem.  I will transfer the
> spamassassin functionality from the firewall to the mail server so I can
> have users file the spam into local folders and run the Bayesian
> analysis.  At the moment I have Spamassassin tagging the subjects of the
> email.  I think this is a bad idea because that will affect the
> Spamassassin analysis.
>
> I have a number of questions.
>
> I haven't yet worked out how to integrate this analysis into the server.
> It appears Evolution is set up with this integrated.  Is it better to
> let Evolution handle it?  However, because I still have some Lotus
> clients I think I want to try to integrate this into the mail server.

1. As I said, the aforementioned combination works really great.

2. Regarding the Lotus clients, I undesrtand that they can access
directly an SMTP server. Configure them that way.

> I can't seem to find how the Ubuntu mail is delivered from postfix to
> the user.  Is procmail used?  How would I arrange for identified spam to
> be delivered to a separate folder in each users mail store?

1. The amavisd-new agent, which can be used by Postfix as a filter,
stores viruses and spam in a directory like
/var/lib/amavis/virusmails. Procmail is not used for this, amavisd-new
in in charge of this. If you want to manage this, I'd suggest to
change that directory to something in your home directory in your
amavisd-new configuration.

2. Another possibility is to use SpamAssassin as a local user and
store it somewhere in your home directory. In this case, you can use
Procmail, which is used for distribute local mail.

--
Mario A. Guerra
San José, Costa RIca