Major Ubuntu problems

Raymond-11
Installed Ubuntu-5.10 on Dell Demention 4500; unit has 80g of storage,
512m memory.

Unit continually freezes; mouse will erratically jump around screen from
time to time.

Help please.

Raymond

Re: Major Ubuntu problems

Senectus .
On 12/7/05, Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Installed Ubuntu-5.10 on Dell Demention 4500; unit has 80g of storage,
> 512m memory.
>
> Unit continually freezes; mouse will erratically jump around screen from
> time to time.

If you killall -9 X and GDM
and just run from console does it still freeze up?
While your doing that It'd be a good idea to filter through the
/var/log/ log files to find anything that looks explanatory..

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through

Re: Major Ubuntu problems

Darryl Clarke
On 12/6/05, Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Installed Ubuntu-5.10 on Dell Demention 4500; unit has 80g of storage,
> 512m memory.
>
> Unit continually freezes; mouse will erratically jump around screen from
> time to time.
>
> Help please.

Does it have ATI Video?

--
~ Darryl  ~ [hidden email]
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com

Re: Major Ubuntu problems

Scott J. Henson
Raymond wrote:

>Installed Ubuntu-5.10 on Dell Demention 4500; unit has 80g of storage,
>512m memory.
>
>Unit continually freezes; mouse will erratically jump around screen from
>time to time.
>
>Help please.

Ive seen this problem before.  It seems to happen most with P4's.
Basically you have a kernel installed on your system that is able to run
on any ia32 system.  But, I have found that on some P4's it runs like
crap and you get the behavior your experiencing.  To fix this you need
to install a 686 kernel.  You can do this by installing the linux-686
package(if you have a pentium 2, 3, or 4, or linux-k7 if you have any
athlon).  This should make your system perform as you expect it.

Re: Major Ubuntu problems

Raymond-11
> Does it have ATI Video?

Yes, Gnome Device Manager shows a Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF

Re: Major Ubuntu problems

Raymond-11

> Ive seen this problem before.  It seems to happen most with P4's.
> Basically you have a kernel installed on your system that is able to run
> on any ia32 system.  But, I have found that on some P4's it runs like
> crap and you get the behavior your experiencing.  To fix this you need
> to install a 686 kernel.  You can do this by installing the linux-686
> package(if you have a pentium 2, 3, or 4, or linux-k7 if you have any
> athlon).  This should make your system perform as you expect it.

Applied the 686 kernel and rebooted; so far so good; will know for sure
in the next day or so and update status.

Many thanks.

Raymond

Re: Major Ubuntu problems

Raymond-11
> Applied the 686 kernel and rebooted; so far so good; will know for sure
> in the next day or so and update status.

The 686 kernel was applied and helped immensely. However, display
freeze-ups still occur 'bout every two or three days. Mouse still runs
erratically and opened windows a couple of times. Could the solution be
both the 686 kernel AND a different display module; current installed is
Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF

Raymond