Quantcast

Making a bootable USB stick from a CD (not a Linux distro)

Making a bootable USB stick from a CD (not a Linux distro)

Adam Funk-4
I have a bootable CD of the Spinrite software, & I'm trying to make a
bootable USB stick from it.  I tried the following:

$ readom  dev=/dev/cdrom  f=spinrite.iso

$ file /opt/downloads/spinrite.iso
/opt/downloads/spinrite-6.0-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'SPINRITE_V6_BOOT' (bootable)

$ sudo dd if=spinrite.iso  of=/dev/sdb

I also tried the last command with the conv=notrunc option, & various
bs settings.  Every time, I end up with a USB stick that will mount
and contains the SPINRITE.EXE file, but when I try to boot a laptop
from it, I get an error to the effect that it's not bootable.

$ sudo parted -l
Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label
Model: TOSHIBA TransMemory (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 31.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Adam

Re: Making a bootable USB stick from a CD (not a Linux distro)

Enrique Villalobos
You need to specify the partition target as follows:

sudo dd if=spinrite.iso  of=/dev/sdb1

Or sdb2 or whatever.

> I have a bootable CD of the Spinrite software, & I'm trying to make a
> bootable USB stick from it.  I tried the following:
>
> $ readom  dev=/dev/cdrom  f=spinrite.iso
>
> $ file /opt/downloads/spinrite.iso
> /opt/downloads/spinrite-6.0-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'SPINRITE_V6_BOOT' (bootable)
>
> $ sudo dd if=spinrite.iso  of=/dev/sdb
>
> I also tried the last command with the conv=notrunc option, & various
> bs settings.  Every time, I end up with a USB stick that will mount
> and contains the SPINRITE.EXE file, but when I try to boot a laptop
> from it, I get an error to the effect that it's not bootable.
>
> $ sudo parted -l
> Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label
> Model: TOSHIBA TransMemory (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdb: 31.0GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: unknown
> Disk Flags:
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Re: Making a bootable USB stick from a CD (not a Linux distro)

Nils Kassube-2
Adam Funk wrote:
> I have a bootable CD of the Spinrite software, & I'm trying to make a
> bootable USB stick from it.  I tried the following:
[...]
> I also tried the last command with the conv=notrunc option, & various
> bs settings.  Every time, I end up with a USB stick that will mount
> and contains the SPINRITE.EXE file, but when I try to boot a laptop
> from it, I get an error to the effect that it's not bootable.

Probably the software on the CD is not meant to be copied to a USB
stick. Then the software can't boot because a USB stick is something
like a hard disk and not something like a CDROM drive.

I think, if the laptop doesn't have an internal CD/DVD drive you would
have to get a USB CD/DVD drive.

Nils

Re: Making a bootable USB stick from a CD (not a Linux distro)

Conny Enström
Den 2017-02-10 kl. 13:16, skrev Adam Funk:
> I have a bootable CD of the Spinrite software, & I'm trying to make a
> bootable USB stick from it.  I tried the following:
>
> $ readom  dev=/dev/cdrom  f=spinrite.iso

You may try this, never failed for me.

https://etcher.io/

Better than "unetbootin"

Conny

Re: Making a bootable USB stick from a CD (not a Linux distro)

Liam Proven
On 10 February 2017 at 17:06, Conny Enström <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Better than "unetbootin"

For Windows users there's also Rufus.

On 10 February 2017 at 13:16, Adam Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a bootable CD of the Spinrite software, & I'm trying to make a
> bootable USB stick from it.  I tried the following:

I was a big fan of Steve Gibson & his work in the late 20th century,
but a LOT of it has been obsoleted by modern intelligent disk drives,
which do their own sector-remapping etc.

Although Spinrite 6 supports SATA, it's well over a decade old now.
Spinrite 6.1 has been in development for 11+ years. Its functions in
drive remapping, re-interleaving etc. are pretty much all obsolete now
and Gibson himself says it's pointless on SSDs.

Q.v.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpinRite

So, honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't bother.

Re: Making a bootable USB stick from a CD (not a Linux distro)

Doug McGarrett

On 02/10/2017 11:06 AM, Conny Enström wrote:

> Den 2017-02-10 kl. 13:16, skrev Adam Funk:
>> I have a bootable CD of the Spinrite software, & I'm trying to make a
>> bootable USB stick from it.  I tried the following:
>>
>> $ readom  dev=/dev/cdrom  f=spinrite.iso
>
> You may try this, never failed for me.
>
> https://etcher.io/
>
> Better than "unetbootin"
>
> Conny

I downloaded and unzipped the file, which produces
Etcher-1.0.0-beta.18-linux-x64.AppImage. Now what? (Running PCLOS, a KDE
system.)

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.--A.M,Greeley

Den 2017-02-10 kl. 18:05, skrev Doug:

> On 02/10/2017 11:06 AM, Conny Enström wrote:
>> Den 2017-02-10 kl. 13:16, skrev Adam Funk:
>>> I have a bootable CD of the Spinrite software, & I'm trying to make a
>>> bootable USB stick from it.  I tried the following:
>>>
>>> $ readom  dev=/dev/cdrom  f=spinrite.iso
>>
>> You may try this, never failed for me.
>>
>> https://etcher.io/
>>
>> Better than "unetbootin"
>>
>> Conny
>>

> I downloaded and unzipped the file, which produces
> Etcher-1.0.0-beta.18-linux-x64.AppImage. Now what? (Running PCLOS, a KDE
> system.)
>
> --doug

Doubleclick the file from a filebrowser  to start it.

On 10 February 2017 at 18:05, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I downloaded and unzipped the file, which produces
> Etcher-1.0.0-beta.18-linux-x64.AppImage. Now what? (Running PCLOS, a KDE
> system.)

Just Google it, sir.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/774490/what-is-an-appimage-how-do-i-install-it