Maverick Movies!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Maverick Movies!

Mark Shuttleworth-3
Hi folks

I saw this amazing movie from the Ubuntu Ads guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHzP7mxRFJE and was inspired to blog  http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/489 about https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMovies

Shout if you are interested in helping host the process or participating.

Mark

--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing

signature.asc (270 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ayatana] Maverick Movies!

Mark Shuttleworth-3
 On 20/08/10 15:17, Christian Giordano wrote:
> Shouldn't we promote our style guides? Sure they probably don't
> include video editing/transitions etc, but the typography of some of
> those videos is just too inconsistent.

Yes, we should. The wiki page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMovies
says "use the styling of 10.10 where you can: Ubuntu Font, colour
palette, circle of friends... you get the drift." Please go ahead and
update that with pointers to the actual guidelines!

Mark


--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing

signature.asc (270 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ayatana] Maverick Movies!

Mark Shuttleworth-3
In reply to this post by Mark Shuttleworth-3
On 20/08/10 17:55, Shane Fagan wrote:
Well I think it would be fun to put some of the high quality ones on the front page of ubuntu.com using HTM5 video embedding.

We can do that for release if we get something stunning.

--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing

signature.asc (270 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ayatana] Maverick Movies!

Lisandro Vaccaro
We could do some sort of video contest, I can promote it through the Facebook page and other Ubuntu sites could help, most of the admins are around here somewhere, it shouldn't be very tough to promote it on all the sites.

I don't know if putting the videos on Ubuntu.com would be enough incentive.

We can also make a youtube site and gather all the videos and put the winner on the main page. I have been thinking on it for some time. We could also have something like the best video of the month and have it always on the main page and keep it going.  

What do you all think?



2010/8/21 Mark Shuttleworth <[hidden email]>
On 20/08/10 17:55, Shane Fagan wrote:
Well I think it would be fun to put some of the high quality ones on the front page of ubuntu.com using HTM5 video embedding.

We can do that for release if we get something stunning.

--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing




--
Lisandro H. Vaccaro


--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ayatana] Maverick Movies!

Mark Shuttleworth-3
 On 21/08/10 07:49, Lisandro Vaccaro wrote:
>
> We can also make a youtube site and gather all the videos and put the
> winner on the main page. I have been thinking on it for some time. We
> could also have something like the best video of the month and have it
> always on the main page and keep it going.  

Sure, sounds good.


--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing

signature.asc (270 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ayatana] Maverick Movies!

Mark Shuttleworth-3
In reply to this post by Mark Shuttleworth-3
 On 20/08/10 18:54, Jake Tolbert wrote:

> This is an interesting question that I'd like some perspective on (as
> a bit of an outsider to Canonical, but part of the FLOSS community):
> where does Canonical a/o Ubuntu's responsibility to maintain the
> Ubuntu brand end?
>
> As a marketer in a rather traditional market, I'm conditioned to think
> that I need to preserve my brand wherever possible, to make sure
> everything looks consistent in every medium.
>
> At the same time, it's foolish, and I think, counter to FLOSS
> ideology, to clamp down on this sort of 'fan art', to categorize it
> broadly. So how does a company deeply devoted to open source ideology
> interact with fan art?
Canonical owns the brand / trademark, but we license it very freely to
the Ubuntu community. Folks who want to set something up that claims to
be Ubuntu, or representing Ubuntu, just send mail to
[hidden email] and as long as the use falls within the
trademark policy, it gets ack'd and approved.

Your point is exactly right: Ubuntu is bigger than Canonical's
contributions could ever make it, it's the sum of aspirations, hope,
dreams and effort from a very large community, and that community needs
to be able to express itself and speak for Ubuntu.

In the design guidelines, we have a framework for styling that includes
an axis from "Canonical <-> Community". When designing materials, you
ask the question "am I speaking for a Canonical service or offering, or
from a Canonical perspective, or from a community perspective, or
somwehre in between". Then, based on the position on that axis, we
provide guidance as to the balance of colour in the materials (in short,
more Canonical == more aubergine, more Community == more orange).

We're breaking quite a bit of new ground, I think, in formalising the
voice of a broader community in the brand.

Mark


--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing

signature.asc (270 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ayatana] Maverick Movies!

Lisandro Vaccaro
Some people need guidance regarding the content they issue.

I don't think the colors and font are as important as this issue. I see admins posting geeky stuff when it's obvious it doesn't fit the userbase, we can't just send them a message telling them "hey man your site is awful".

We started the MK pledge, less than a week ago trying to offer a guide to all the people working on social networks and loco teams, but it would be great if we could cover this issues on the official Guidelines, it would also stop many debates going on on the community.


2010/8/21 Mark Shuttleworth <[hidden email]>
 On 20/08/10 18:54, Jake Tolbert wrote:
> This is an interesting question that I'd like some perspective on (as
> a bit of an outsider to Canonical, but part of the FLOSS community):
> where does Canonical a/o Ubuntu's responsibility to maintain the
> Ubuntu brand end?
>
> As a marketer in a rather traditional market, I'm conditioned to think
> that I need to preserve my brand wherever possible, to make sure
> everything looks consistent in every medium.
>
> At the same time, it's foolish, and I think, counter to FLOSS
> ideology, to clamp down on this sort of 'fan art', to categorize it
> broadly. So how does a company deeply devoted to open source ideology
> interact with fan art?

Canonical owns the brand / trademark, but we license it very freely to
the Ubuntu community. Folks who want to set something up that claims to
be Ubuntu, or representing Ubuntu, just send mail to
[hidden email] and as long as the use falls within the
trademark policy, it gets ack'd and approved.

Your point is exactly right: Ubuntu is bigger than Canonical's
contributions could ever make it, it's the sum of aspirations, hope,
dreams and effort from a very large community, and that community needs
to be able to express itself and speak for Ubuntu.

In the design guidelines, we have a framework for styling that includes
an axis from "Canonical <-> Community". When designing materials, you
ask the question "am I speaking for a Canonical service or offering, or
from a Canonical perspective, or from a community perspective, or
somwehre in between". Then, based on the position on that axis, we
provide guidance as to the balance of colour in the materials (in short,
more Canonical == more aubergine, more Community == more orange).

We're breaking quite a bit of new ground, I think, in formalising the
voice of a broader community in the brand.

Mark


--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing




--
Lisandro H. Vaccaro


--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ayatana] Maverick Movies!

Mark Shuttleworth-3
In reply to this post by Mark Shuttleworth-3
 On 21/08/10 17:40, Andrew wrote:
> Actually the font is available for everyone with a Launchpad account
> [1] but it seems not a lot of people know this...
>
>
> [1] http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/new-ubuntu-1010-font-available-for.html
>

It should not (yet) be available to open teams. We are aiming to nail
the first wave of issues, as soon as that's done we'll make the beta
fully open by landing the font in Maverick and in a public PPA. I've
fixed the Accessibility team case now, and will fix others that arise
accidentally.

For the purposes of this discussion, I'll say:

 - it's no problem for someone making one of these movies to get access
to the font if they don't already have it.
 - I can add Ubuntu Marketing if it's not an open team (i.e. requires
some supervision and criteria to join)
 - I can add any other supervised team (that has a criteria related to
Ubuntu participation and contribution)

The rationale for the semi-open stage in the beta process is: (a) we
don't own the font till it's done 1.0, and (b) we want the font to
mostly strongly reflect the views of those who contribute most to Ubuntu.

Mark


--
ubuntu-marketing mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing

signature.asc (270 bytes) Download Attachment