Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Graham Watkins-3
Anyone know of a good (preferably GUI) program for creating encrypted
files/devices?  Truecrypt is warning everybody to change but they don't
have much to suggest in the way of Linux alternatives.

Cheers,

Graham

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Kaj Haulrich-2
On 06/09/2014 09:59 PM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Anyone know of a good (preferably GUI) program for creating encrypted
> files/devices?  Truecrypt is warning everybody to change but they don't
> have much to suggest in the way of Linux alternatives.

I prefer ccrypt. It's command line, but very easy to use.
http://ccrypt.sourceforge.net/

Kaj Haulrich.
--
Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
Running Linux Kubuntu 14.04 - Trusty Tahr.

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

David Fletcher-5
On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 20:59 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Anyone know of a good (preferably GUI) program for creating encrypted
> files/devices?  Truecrypt is warning everybody to change but they don't
> have much to suggest in the way of Linux alternatives.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham

I've always used gpg in symmetrical mode to encrypt individual files. I
usually use it with about 3GB backup archives of my essential files that
I store off site one way or another.

With user home directories, you can use if you wish with Ubuntu or Mint,
from the command line adduser with the --encrypt-home option. Anyone who
also reads slashdot will be aware that it is unwise to use this on a
laptop you intend to carry with you to the USA, unless you have the
passwords to ALL user accounts.

Dave

--
Lisa Simpson:- "They must have programmed it to eliminate the
competition."

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Lou Katz-2
On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 11:37:22PM +0200, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 09:59 PM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> >Anyone know of a good (preferably GUI) program for creating encrypted
> >files/devices?  Truecrypt is warning everybody to change but they don't
> >have much to suggest in the way of Linux alternatives.

Many have suggested that there is nothing wrong with truecrypt, and to
continue using it. Binaries and source are still available on the net.
As far as I know, none of the alternatives make a closed container, which
hides all the internal structure, rather than encrypting a directory, which
still shows its structure.

--

-=[L]=-
Composed on an ASR33

[Christopher Beck] [http://pacanukeha.wordpress.com]
Say it with me: you don't get good government from people who think
government is the problem.

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Graham Watkins-3
Searching brought up this.  I await developments with baited breath.

http://truecrypt.ch/

Cheers,

Graham

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Gilles Gravier-2
The guys doing truecrypt.ch are really good.

They are former Swiss Pirate Party people. Which puts them on the good
side of things. And my colleagues at FSF definitely are vouching for them.

They have an archive with 7.1a which is OK. I use that.

Gilles

On 13/06/2014 15:05, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Searching brought up this.  I await developments with baited breath.
>
> http://truecrypt.ch/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Nathan Dorfman
LUKS support has been built into Ubuntu for a while. Just use the GUI
to create a new partition or format a drive, and there will be an
option to make it encrypted. The GUI also knows how to ask for the
passphrase and decrypt the filesystem when you subsequently go to
mount it.

For more advanced usage, you can use the cryptsetup command-line
utility, which is well-documented here:
https://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

For basic usage, however, you don't even need that.

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Gilles Gravier-2
TrueCrypt is nice as it is multi-platform...

Gilles

On 13/06/2014 18:19, Nathan Dorfman wrote:

> LUKS support has been built into Ubuntu for a while. Just use the GUI
> to create a new partition or format a drive, and there will be an
> option to make it encrypted. The GUI also knows how to ask for the
> passphrase and decrypt the filesystem when you subsequently go to
> mount it.
>
> For more advanced usage, you can use the cryptsetup command-line
> utility, which is well-documented here:
> https://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> For basic usage, however, you don't even need that.

Re: Maybe Off Topic - Truecrypt Compromised - What To Use?

Jonesy
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 14:05:37 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:

> I await developments with baited breath.

  Masticating some cat food, are you?

  http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm