Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

grasso
Dear mailing list members, Colin,

When I run update-manager in the terminal there is no window popping up.

I had Set Digest Mode set to On.
Now I switched Set Digest Mode to Off so I will be able to see the individual messages again.

I only get below messages shown in LXTerminal.

cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:/usr/bin$ cd /usr/bin
cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:/usr/bin$ update-manager

(update-manager:4944): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:46:57.955: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

--
Kind regards,

Frans Grasso
The Netherlands
[hidden email]

Avast logo

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 16:43 +0200, grasso wrote:
> When I run update-manager in the terminal there is no window popping up.

Hi,

I doubt running a manager to update software without root privileges
makes much sense, since sync of the package index files already requires
root privileges. Try running

  gksudo $(which update-manager)

and if it fails, copy and paste the _command_ + the _complete output_ as
is.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Colin Law
On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 15:43, grasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear mailing list members, Colin,
>
> When I run update-manager in the terminal there is no window popping up.
>
> I had Set Digest Mode set to On.
> Now I switched Set Digest Mode to Off so I will be able to see the individual messages again.
>
> I only get below messages shown in LXTerminal.
>
> cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:/usr/bin$ cd /usr/bin
> cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:/usr/bin$ update-manager
>
> (update-manager:4944): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:46:57.955: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

Does it then hang or return to the terminal prompt?  If it appears to
hang are you sure there it has not popped up a window behind other
windows or on a different screen?  Do you sometimes use multiple
screens but now not got them all plugged in?

What happens if in a terminal you run
sudo apt update

Are there any other obvious things not operating as expected?

Colin

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 16:12, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 16:43 +0200, grasso wrote:
> > When I run update-manager in the terminal there is no window popping up.
>
> Hi,
>
> I doubt running a manager to update software without root privileges
> makes much sense, since sync of the package index files already requires
> root privileges. Try running
>
>   gksudo $(which update-manager)

Not necessary, it will ask for privileges if it needs them, at least
that is the situation for me.  Have you tried it?

Colin

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 24.08.2018, 16:16 +0100 schrieb Colin Law:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 16:12, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 16:43 +0200, grasso wrote:
> > >
> > > When I run update-manager in the terminal there is no window
> > > popping up.
> > Hi,
> >
> > I doubt running a manager to update software without root
> > privileges
> > makes much sense, since sync of the package index files already
> > requires
> > root privileges. Try running
> >
> >   gksudo $(which update-manager)
> Not necessary, it will ask for privileges if it needs them, at least
> that is the situation for me.  Have you tried it?
also note that debian and ubuntu removed the gksu package (which ships
the gksudo command) from their archives a while ago (debian only for
sid (unstalble) and buster, ubuntu for 18.04 onwards).
apps are supposed to use policykit interally to obtain needed
pirvileges (not only because this is more secure but also to make them
work in wayland sessions where apps running as root are not allowed
anymore by design)

ciao
        oli

On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 18:24 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 24.08.2018, 16:16 +0100 schrieb Colin Law:
> > On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 16:12, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I doubt running a manager to update software without root
> > > privileges
> > > makes much sense, since sync of the package index files already
> > > requires
> > > root privileges. Try running
> > >
> > >   gksudo $(which update-manager)
> >
> > Not necessary, it will ask for privileges if it needs them, at least
> > that is the situation for me.  Have you tried it?

No, I didn't use it myself.

> also note that debian and ubuntu removed the gksu package (which ships
> the gksudo command) from their archives a while ago (debian only for
> sid (unstalble) and buster, ubuntu for 18.04 onwards).
> apps are supposed to use policykit interally to obtain needed
> pirvileges (not only because this is more secure but also to make them
> work in wayland sessions where apps running as root are not allowed
> anymore by design)

I didn't know that.

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Chris-2
On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 18:24 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 24.08.2018, 16:16 +0100 schrieb Colin Law:
> > On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 16:12, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I doubt running a manager to update software without root
> > > privileges
> > > makes much sense, since sync of the package index files already
> > > requires
> > > root privileges. Try running
> > >
> > >   gksudo $(which update-manager)
> >
> > Not necessary, it will ask for privileges if it needs them, at
> > least
> > that is the situation for me.  Have you tried it?
>
> also note that debian and ubuntu removed the gksu package (which
> ships
> the gksudo command) from their archives a while ago (debian only for
> sid (unstalble) and buster, ubuntu for 18.04 onwards).
> apps are supposed to use policykit interally to obtain needed
> pirvileges (not only because this is more secure but also to make
> them
> work in wayland sessions where apps running as root are not allowed
> anymore by design)
>
> ciao
> oli

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/gksu/2.0.2-9ubuntu1

apt-cache policy gksu
gksu:
  Installed: 2.0.2-9ubuntu1
  Candidate: 2.0.2-9ubuntu1

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Am Freitag, den 24.08.2018, 12:45 -0500 schrieb Chris:

> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/gksu/2.0.2-9ubuntu1
>
> apt-cache policy gksu
> gksu:
>   Installed: 2.0.2-9ubuntu1
>   Candidate: 2.0.2-9ubuntu1

the "Status" entry on that page says "superseded", that it was
(briefly) available during the bionic dev cycle doesn't mean it is
still there:

the page:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu

shows where it is actually still available and published in the archive

launchpad keeps old build data around for hysterical raisins ;)

so you can still look up build logs and where and when a version was
created but the only relevant publishing info is on the page i linked
above ...

on systems where you did not use do-release-upgrade such packages will
also not be removed (colin watson may correct me here, i might mis-
remember), this is actually one of the purposes of the update-
manager/do-release-upgrade, cleaning up obsolete packages.

ciao
        oli

On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 20:04 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 24.08.2018, 12:45 -0500 schrieb Chris:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/gksu/2.0.2-9ubuntu1
> >
> > apt-cache policy gksu
> > gksu:
> >   Installed: 2.0.2-9ubuntu1
> >   Candidate: 2.0.2-9ubuntu1
>
> the "Status" entry on that page says "superseded", that it was
> (briefly) available during the bionic dev cycle doesn't mean it is
> still there:
>
> the page:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu
>
> shows where it is actually still available and published in the
> archive
>
> launchpad keeps old build data around for hysterical raisins ;)
>
> so you can still look up build logs and where and when a version was
> created but the only relevant publishing info is on the page i linked
> above ...
>
> on systems where you did not use do-release-upgrade such packages
> will
> also not be removed (colin watson may correct me here, i might mis-
> remember), this is actually one of the purposes of the update-
> manager/do-release-upgrade, cleaning up obsolete packages.
>
> ciao
> oli
My apologies, as usual I'm incorrect. I just know it works on my 18.04
which was upgraded last Thursday when I was notified that a new release
was available.

Back to lurking

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
14:57:16 up 1 day, 4:37, 1 user, load average: 1.30, 0.59, 0.45

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

grasso
Dear Colin,

Did't have time to check yesterday.

This morning I checked for windows popping up. I just use a single
screen.
I could only see the "Software Updater" Window popping up checking for
updates and resulting in the normal Window listing the packages to be
updated.
So the same Window you see after starting "Menu System Tools/Software
Updater"

Next check I did is starting the command "sudo apt update" using my
admin password as shown below:
cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:~$ sudo apt update
[sudo] password for cp-admin:
Hit:1 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Get:2 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88,7
kB]
Get:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [83,2
kB]
Get:4 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease
[74,6 kB]
Get:5 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main i386
Packages [271 kB]
Get:6 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe i386
Packages [172 kB]
Get:7 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports/universe
Sources [1184 B]
Fetched 690 kB in 2s (344 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
49 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:~$

I also checked the packages with "apt list --upgradable"
cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
apt/bionic-updates,bionic-security 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 i386 [upgradable from:
1.6.3]
apt-transport-https/bionic-updates,bionic-security 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 all
[upgradable from: 1.6.3]
apt-utils/bionic-updates,bionic-security 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 i386 [upgradable
from: 1.6.3]
base-files/bionic-updates,bionic-security 10.1ubuntu2.2 i386 [upgradable
from: 10.1ubuntu2.1]
...JUST SHOWING A FEW OF THE 49 LINES HERE...
ubuntu-release-upgrader-core/bionic-updates 1:18.04.24 all [upgradable
from: 1:18.04.22]
ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk/bionic-updates 1:18.04.24 all [upgradable
from: 1:18.04.22]
wpasupplicant/bionic-updates,bionic-security 2:2.6-15ubuntu2.1 i386
[upgradable from: 2:2.6-15ubuntu2]
cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:~$

I checked
https://askubuntu.com/questions/8458/how-to-update-ubuntu-terminal#8460
It shows Update software(s) i.e. apply updates:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Should I check if this will work or do you have another suggestion for
me to check first?

Regards,

Frans

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 at 12:19, grasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Colin,
>
> Did't have time to check yesterday.
>
> This morning I checked for windows popping up. I just use a single
> screen.
> I could only see the "Software Updater" Window popping up checking for
> updates and resulting in the normal Window listing the packages to be
> updated.
> So the same Window you see after starting "Menu System Tools/Software
> Updater"

Hold on, in your first post you said nothing happens when you run the
updater. Now you say does exactly what is expected, so what is the
problem you need help with?

> [...]
> >> individual messages again.
> >>
> >> I only get below messages shown in LXTerminal.
> >>
> >> cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:/usr/bin$ cd /usr/bin
> >> cp-admin@cpadmin-PX707AA-ABH-SR1409NL-NL520:/usr/bin$ update-manager
> >>
> >> (update-manager:4944): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 11:46:57.955:
> >> g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed
> >

> > Does it then hang or return to the terminal prompt?  If it appears to
> > hang are you sure there it has not popped up a window behind other
> > windows or on a different screen?  Do you sometimes use multiple
> > screens but now not got them all plugged in?
> >
> > What happens if in a terminal you run
> > sudo apt update
> >
> > Are there any other obvious things not operating as expected?
> >
> > Colin

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Sorry if I was not clear in explaining the problem.

I tried to explain that after starting the "Software Updater", using the menu as well as using the command line both do result in the expected behavior of showing the list of packages to be upgraded, but the problem is that when I then try to proceed, so really start the update, no update is performed.
So far I only used the menu System Tools/Software Updater to
really start the update, not using the command line.

I checked
https://askubuntu.com/questions/8458/how-to-update-ubuntu-terminal#8460
It shows Update software(s) i.e. apply updates:
sudo apt-get upgrade

My question is now:
Is it a good check to try running "sudo apt-get upgrade" to see if update will then be performed, because I did not yet tried.

Hopefully now it is more clear what my problem is.

Regards,
Frans

On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 08:20 +0200, grasso wrote:
> My question is now:
> Is it a good check to try running "sudo apt-get upgrade" to see if
> update will then be performed, because I did not yet tried.

Yesno. Don't follow the link you posted.

First run

  sudo apt upgrade

(alternatively you could run

  sudo apt-get update)

this will sync the package index files, not the packages.

Then run

  sudo apt full-upgrade

('sudo apt-get upgrade' isn't good, an alternative would be

  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade)

If there should be upgrades, they will be shown. You need to confirm if
you want to continue and do the upgrade or if you don't want to upgrade.

See

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/apt-get.8.html

and

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/apt.8.html

if you want to understand the difference between 'upgrade' and 'full-
upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade'.

By default there is one important difference between the "old"
'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' and the "new" 'sudo apt full-upgrade'.

By default 'apt-get' caches the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives/,
'apt' doesn't.

If you want to use the "new" apt, but cache the packages, too, run

  sudo apt full-upgrade -o APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages=1

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Ralf Mardorf-2

> On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 08:20 +0200, grasso wrote:
> > My question is now:
> > Is it a good check to try running "sudo apt-get upgrade" to see if
> > update will then be performed, because I did not yet tried.
>
> Yesno. Don't follow the link you posted.
>
> First run
>
>   sudo apt upgrade
             ^^^^^^^
             ^^^^^^^
This is a typo, it should read

first run

  sudo apt update

_update_, not _upgrade_

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 08:26, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 09:22 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 08:20 +0200, grasso wrote:
> > > My question is now:
> > > Is it a good check to try running "sudo apt-get upgrade" to see if
> > > update will then be performed, because I did not yet tried.
> >
> > Yesno. Don't follow the link you posted.
> >
> > First run
> >
> >   sudo apt upgrade
>              ^^^^^^^
>              ^^^^^^^
> This is a typo, it should read
>
> first run
>
>   sudo apt update

He has already done that.

Colin

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 08:24, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then run
>
>   sudo apt full-upgrade

I am surprised at you suggesting full-upgrade, it is safer to use apt
upgrade (which is not the same as apt-get upgrade).  full-upgrade will
remove packages if necessary whereas upgrade installs/upgrades as
necessary but will not remove any existing packages. It instead tells
you that some packages will be removed so that you can use
full-upgrade if you want.

So my standard procedure is
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
and then in the very rare situation where it says it is necessary to
remove packages I can consider whether I want to do that and run
sudo apt full-upgrade
if necessary.

Colin

Am Sonntag, den 26.08.2018, 09:22 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> By default there is one important difference between the "old"
> 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' and the "new" 'sudo apt full-upgrade'.
>
> By default 'apt-get' caches the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives/,
> 'apt' doesn't.

curious what makes you think this ? both download packages to that
place and keep the debs there until a regular cron job cleans them up.
while there are small differences between apt and apt-get, the caching
of debs is definitely not one of them.

ciao
        oli

Re: Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Colin Law
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 11:18, grasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Colin,

Thank you for your recommended command on 18.04.

I executed "sudo apt upgrade" and now all packages are updated.
Also used menu System Tools/Software Updater to check,
Software Updater showed a restart was needed.
After restarting my PC I checked again using
Software Updater and now system is up to date.

Good that the PC is now updated, but unfortunately that has not helped to understand the basic problem, as 'apt upgrade' is effectively what the gui upgrader does, I believe.  I had thought you might get an error in the command line update which might have helped to understand the problem.  I suspect you will find the same issue again next time there are updates.  If so then please come back and we can try to investigate further.

Colin

Should menu System Tools/Software Update now work again for future updates?

Otherwise I will keep in mind when it would not work to use "sudo apt upgrade" again.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Regards,

Frans

Op 26-8-2018 om 08:43 schreef Colin Law:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018, 07:20 grasso, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes, understood. But on 18.04 the recommended command is
sudo apt upgrade
Apt has superceded apt-get.

Colin

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 10:21 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 26.08.2018, 09:22 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> >

> > By default there is one important difference between the "old"
> > 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' and the "new" 'sudo apt full-upgrade'.
> >
> > By default 'apt-get' caches the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives/,
> > 'apt' doesn't.
> >

> curious what makes you think this ? both download packages to that
> place and keep the debs there until a regular cron job cleans them up.
> while there are small differences between apt and apt-get, the caching
> of debs is definitely not one of them.

It at least was a default, I kept for my customized Xenial install. Next
time I boot Ubuntu Mate 18.04.1 from a DVD to backup my Linux installs,
I'll check the current default.

On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 09:17 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> I am surprised at you suggesting full-upgrade, it is safer to use apt
> upgrade (which is not the same as apt-get upgrade).  full-upgrade will
> remove packages if necessary whereas upgrade installs/upgrades as
> necessary but will not remove any existing packages. It instead tells
> you that some packages will be removed so that you can use
> full-upgrade if you want.

full-upgrade shows what it wants to do. _I read this output_ and then
_decide if I want to continue or not_, so it's not less or more safe.

Btw. I never needed to cancel the upgrade, when it wanted to remove
packages, so IMO for those not reading what the upgrade wants to do,
removing packages to avoid a partial upgrade is safer, than not removing
packages and finishing with a partial upgraded system.

> So my standard procedure is
> sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
> and then in the very rare situation where it says it is necessary to
> remove packages I can consider whether I want to do that and run
> sudo apt full-upgrade if necessary.

So you read the output, too. The situations are not that rare, but if
you stay with official repositories there is usually no need to keep the
packages that a full-upgrade wants to remove, so removing them makes
sense and will ensure a complete upgraded system.