Microsoft signs up Xandros

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
 From http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1565 :

"""
Microsoft has signed up another Linux distributor in a patent-licensing
and collaboration deal similar to the one it struck with Novell last
year, writes InfoWorld
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070605/tc_infoworld/89062;_ylt=Agd5yMBYtPT5T92Qh6eWV6Gor7oF>.

Xandros, which offers desktop and server versions of Linux, has agreed
to license Microsoft intellectual property (IP), said Bob Muglia, senior
vice president of the Server and Tools Business at Microsoft. He dropped
the news in the middle of a keynote Monday at the company's TechEd 2007
conference in Orlando.
"""

Infoworld article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070605/tc_infoworld/89062;_ylt=Agd5yMBYtPT5T92Qh6eWV6Gor7oF

Re: Microsoft signs up Xandros

Jerome Gotangco-2
On 6/5/07, Jonathan Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Microsoft has signed up another Linux distributor in a patent-licensing
> and collaboration deal similar to the one it struck with Novell last
> year, writes InfoWorld

Yeah its quite similar to the one with Novell, but made it a wee-bit
broader in scope. Most of the stuff is sugar coating for sure, since
the core piece of agreement is compliance with Microsoft's IP or what
they claim to be infringing on their IPs without specifying.

The official press release is at
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jun07/06-04XandrosPR.mspx

> Xandros, which offers desktop and server versions of Linux, has agreed
> to license Microsoft intellectual property (IP), said Bob Muglia, senior
> vice president of the Server and Tools Business at Microsoft. He dropped
> the news in the middle of a keynote Monday at the company's TechEd 2007
> conference in Orlando.

I have a friend who used to work with Xandros ever since the Corel
days and left recently and what I remember him saying before that the
core competency of Xandros is pretty much interop between Windows and
Xandros which is pretty evident of their product offering especially
on the server side. In a way it does benefit Xandros with their core
competency, but at the same time, asserts MS' claims of patent
infringement of Linux-related technologies without specifying. Are we
seeing an emerging business for MS? Most probably. If they get to sign
one more known commercial distro developer then its a trend ;-)

--
Best,

Jerome Gotangco

Re: Microsoft signs up Xandros

Conrad Knauer
On 6/5/07, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are we seeing an emerging business for MS? Most probably.

<cynic>
http://limulus.wordpress.com/2007/05/15/microsofts-new-business-model-extortion/
</cynic>

> If they get to sign one more known commercial distro developer then its a trend ;-)

Red Hat has already said no, so who's left?
Mandriva, Mepis, Turbolinux and Linspire?  (Did I miss any?)

Ah well, some people said there were too many distros out there; I
strongly suspect that this sort of deal is a 'kiss of death' for those
who sign them.

CK

On 6/5/07, Conrad Knauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah well, some people said there were too many distros out there; I
> strongly suspect that this sort of deal is a 'kiss of death' for those
> who sign them.

I note via Groklaw that Xandros users aren't too thrilled with Xandros
about their 'deal with the devil'; there's a poll "Xandros =
Microsoft, Which Linux To Use Now?" on
http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=31422

The results so far (only 36 respondents), have PCLinuxOS at 36% and
Ubuntu at 25% (note that Xandros uses a KDE desktop, which is also the
default for PCLinuxOS).

So let me be the first to say welcome to the new Xandros-emigrees! :)

CK

Re: Microsoft signs up Xandros

ac-8
Conrad Knauer wrote:

> On 6/5/07, Conrad Knauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ah well, some people said there were too many distros out there; I
>> strongly suspect that this sort of deal is a 'kiss of death' for those
>> who sign them.
>
> I note via Groklaw that Xandros users aren't too thrilled with Xandros
> about their 'deal with the devil'; there's a poll "Xandros =
> Microsoft, Which Linux To Use Now?" on
> http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=31422
>
> The results so far (only 36 respondents), have PCLinuxOS at 36% and
> Ubuntu at 25% (note that Xandros uses a KDE desktop, which is also the
> default for PCLinuxOS).

also of course, kde is the default for Kubuntu!
:-)

> So let me be the first to say welcome to the new Xandros-emigrees! :)

Seconded

Re: Microsoft signs up Xandros

Conrad Knauer
On 6/5/07, Conrad Knauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > If they get to sign one more known commercial distro developer then its a trend ;-)
>
> Red Hat has already said no, so who's left?
> Mandriva, Mepis, Turbolinux and Linspire?  (Did I miss any?)
>
> Ah well, some people said there were too many distros out there; I
> strongly suspect that this sort of deal is a 'kiss of death' for those
> who sign them.

Helios made a blog post mentioning that he has some inside info on
which distro will likely be next:

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?archives/209-they-will-be-known-by-their-stripes.html

Not-so-cryptically, he says what to watch for: "If esr suddenly
announces his resignation from a particular board or organization..."

(ESR is on the Freespire board;
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2603651519.html)

So Linspire.  We shall see...

CK