Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi

Clean install of Ubuntu 16.04.4, worked fine, then update & dist-upgrade (to
16.04.5)

Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly

I have tried all the normal solutions I can find, with no success

Booting

Advanced - Recovery - Resume

gets me in and running but would prefer been able to boot normally

Any pointers or tests to perform help find/cure this

It's a Compaq M2000 Laptop if that is relivant

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

Colin Law
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 09:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Clean install of Ubuntu 16.04.4, worked fine, then update & dist-upgrade (to
> 16.04.5)
>
> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly
>
> I have tried all the normal solutions I can find, with no success

I presume it is ok until you try to login (since you have not said otherwise.
Have you tried logging in as a different user?

Colin

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 10:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly

Sounds like your 3D driver is crashing at startup. Unity needs working OpenGL.

Do you have the correct graphics driver for your machine installed?

Can you update the system firmware? Use a DOS bootable USB or
something like that.

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

05 September 2018  at 9:24, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 09:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi

>> Clean install of Ubuntu 16.04.4, worked fine, then update & dist-upgrade (to
>> 16.04.5)

>> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
>> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
>> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
>> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly

>> I have tried all the normal solutions I can find, with no success

>I presume it is ok until you try to login (since you have not said otherwise.
>Have you tried logging in as a different user?

It is set to auto_login, but I will try setting to manual (via
Advanced-Recover-Resume?) and see where that takes me

Not sure if I can do it from a "Ctrl+Shif+F1" terminal, as I seem to get many
"Cant connect to xxx" from there when trying to edit any file (e.g. Grub)

05 September 2018  at 10:55, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 10:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
>> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
>> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
>> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly

>Sounds like your 3D driver is crashing at startup. Unity needs working OpenGL.
>Do you have the correct graphics driver for your machine installed?

Any way to check and compare between normal and "Advanced - Recover -Resume"
boot (which does work)

Also was there a change 16.04.4 -> 16.04.5 that could have removed the working
driver?

>Can you update the system firmware? Use a DOS bootable USB or
>something like that.

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

Colin Law
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 13:27, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure if I can do it from a "Ctrl+Shif+F1" terminal, as I seem to get many
> "Cant connect to xxx" from there when trying to edit any file (e.g. Grub)

That sounds suspicious.  What exactly are you seeing?

You should be able to disable auto login by commenting out the
autologin-user line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Colin

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:27, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure if I can do it from a "Ctrl+Shif+F1" terminal, as I seem to get many
> "Cant connect to xxx" from there when trying to edit any file (e.g. Grub)

Use a text-mode editor, not a GUI one. You can't use a GUI editor
(e.g. Gedit) on the console.

My favourite is Tilde but you'd have to install it.

Alternatives: pico, nano, joe, or if there's no choice, vim.

n Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:23, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:27, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Not sure if I can do it from a "Ctrl+Shif+F1" terminal, as I seem to get many
> > "Cant connect to xxx" from there when trying to edit any file (e.g. Grub)
>
> Use a text-mode editor, not a GUI one. You can't use a GUI editor
> (e.g. Gedit) on the console.

Oh, yes, it had not occurred to me that he was attempting to use a gui
editor.  I should have realised of course.  I use nano.

Colin

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

05 September 2018  at 9:24, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 09:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Clean install of Ubuntu 16.04.4, worked fine, then update & dist-upgrade (to
>> 16.04.5)
>>
>> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
>> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
>> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
>> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly
>>
>> I have tried all the normal solutions I can find, with no success
>
>I presume it is ok until you try to login (since you have not said otherwise.
>Have you tried logging in as a different user?

Just did and the same (just shows the default purple wallpaper)

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

05 September 2018  at 10:55, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 10:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
>> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
>> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
>> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly

>Sounds like your 3D driver is crashing at startup. Unity needs working OpenGL.
>Do you have the correct graphics driver for your machine installed?

According to Ubuntu, my Radion RS480 is supported so I think yes

05 September 2018  at 13:58, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 13:27, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Not sure if I can do it from a "Ctrl+Shif+F1" terminal, as I seem to get many
>> "Cant connect to xxx" from there when trying to edit any file (e.g. Grub)
>
>That sounds suspicious.  What exactly are you seeing?
>
>You should be able to disable auto login by commenting out the
>autologin-user line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

I just set it via the Advanced - Recovery Mode - Resume then tested

05 September 2018  at 14:27, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>n Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:23, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:27, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >

>> > Not sure if I can do it from a "Ctrl+Shif+F1" terminal, as I seem to get many
>> > "Cant connect to xxx" from there when trying to edit any file (e.g. Grub)
>>
>> Use a text-mode editor, not a GUI one. You can't use a GUI editor
>> (e.g. Gedit) on the console.
>
>Oh, yes, it had not occurred to me that he was attempting to use a gui
>editor.  I should have realised of course.  I use nano.

Yeh hands up on that one, gedit is force of habit

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

05 September 2018  at 9:24, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 09:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Clean install of Ubuntu 16.04.4, worked fine, then update & dist-upgrade (to
>> 16.04.5)
>>
>> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
>> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
>> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
>> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly

>> I have tried all the normal solutions I can find, with no success

>I presume it is ok until you try to login (since you have not said otherwise.

Yes, at the login screen, there is a panel along the top of screen, as soon as
I login that goes away

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

Colin Law
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:50, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 05 September 2018  at 9:24, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)
>
> >On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 09:14, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Clean install of Ubuntu 16.04.4, worked fine, then update & dist-upgrade (to
> >> 16.04.5)
> >>
> >> Now all I have is wallpaper (background) Dash/Panel/Launcher missing, only
> >> thing that shows (sometimes) is the update to 18.04.1 dialogue, then only for a
> >> fraction of a second, it goes away before I can click anything, it will come
> >> back lower on screen a bit later, and go again as quickly
>
> >> I have tried all the normal solutions I can find, with no success
>
> >I presume it is ok until you try to login (since you have not said otherwise.
>
> Yes, at the login screen, there is a panel along the top of screen, as soon as
> I login that goes away

It is a long time since I used 16.04 but I don't remember a panel
across the top of the login screen.

Colin

05 September 2018  at 16:12, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:50, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Yes, at the login screen, there is a panel along the top of screen, as soon as
>> I login that goes away

>It is a long time since I used 16.04 but I don't remember a panel
>across the top of the login screen.

A rose by any other name...

on the login screen, there is (on the default purpleish background)

the login dialogue
at the top (in a darker colour, same as login box) reading right to left

The Cog Wheel
The Time
Audio Icon (Muted IIRC)
The Keyboard Layout Selector
The Network Icon (not WiFi icon)
The Accesibility? Icon

That was what I meant

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

Colin Law
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 19:15, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 05 September 2018  at 16:12, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)
>
> >On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 14:50, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> Yes, at the login screen, there is a panel along the top of screen, as soon as
> >> I login that goes away
>
> >It is a long time since I used 16.04 but I don't remember a panel
> >across the top of the login screen.
>
> A rose by any other name...
>
> on the login screen, there is (on the default purpleish background)
>
> the login dialogue
> at the top (in a darker colour, same as login box) reading right to left
>
> The Cog Wheel
> The Time
> Audio Icon (Muted IIRC)
> The Keyboard Layout Selector
> The Network Icon (not WiFi icon)
> The Accesibility? Icon
>
> That was what I meant

Right, ok.
After you have failed to login is there anything useful in
/var/log/syslog?  Also look at .xsession-errors.

Colin

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 15:42, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to Ubuntu, my Radion RS480 is supported so I think yes

What driver are you using?

Free or proprietary?

Whichever it is, switch and try the other one. Google will help.

05 September 2018  at 20:58, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 19:15, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 05 September 2018  at 16:12, Colin Law wrote:
>> Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>> >It is a long time since I used 16.04 but I don't remember a panel
>> >across the top of the login screen.
>>
>> A rose by any other name...
>>
>> on the login screen, there is (on the default purpleish background)
>>
>> the login dialogue
>> at the top (in a darker colour, same as login box) reading right to left
>>
>> The Cog Wheel
>> The Time
>> Audio Icon (Muted IIRC)
>> The Keyboard Layout Selector
>> The Network Icon (not WiFi icon)
>> The Accesibility? Icon
>>
>> That was what I meant
>
>Right, ok.
>After you have failed to login is there anything useful in
>/var/log/syslog?  Also look at .xsession-errors.

Nothing in .xsession-errors

/var/log/syslog was full but I don't know what I should be looking for

06 September 2018  at 17:56, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher (at least in part)

>On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 15:42, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:

>> According to Ubuntu, my Radion RS480 is supported so I think yes

>What driver are you using?

The built in one, just shows in

lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3

as radeon

>Free or proprietary?

I also tried

ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

that they don't seem to make any difference

>Whichever it is, switch and try the other one. Google will help.

I'll see if there are any more out there

Re: Missing Dash/Panel/Launcher

Liam Proven
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 20:20, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The built in one, just shows in
>
> lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3
>
> as radeon
>
> >Free or proprietary?
>
> I also tried
>
> ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

Hey, wait, whoah -- what?

You're adding additional third-party stuff?

Why?

That's quite likely to break things.

This is how to add the official bundled one:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/847479/how-to-install-ati-drivers-on-ubuntu-16-10

If that doesn't work well you can install direct from AMD:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

I would advise *against* any other methods.

> I'll see if there are any more out there

No no no! Don't. From Ubuntu or from AMD, nothing else.