Monitoring temperature and fanspeed graphically in Ubuntu

Monitoring temperature and fanspeed graphically in Ubuntu

Ari Torhamo
Hi,

I just spent a while looking for a GUI-program for monitoring
temperature and fan speed in my system. I found a package named
lm-sensors which does the thing, but has no GUI. I found a Gnome
frontend for lm-sensors called GNOME Sensors Applet, but it doesn't seem
to be in any of the Ubuntu repositories.

Is anyone possibly planning to bring GNOME Sensors Applet to Ubuntu? I
think it would be good to have a way for not-so-skilled users to monitor
system health and perhaps get an early warning when their system is
running too hot. Or have I missed a way to do this graphically in
Ubuntu?

Here's a link to the applets home page:
http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=home

Regards,

Ari Torhamo

Re: Monitoring temperature and fanspeed graphically in Ubuntu

Chris Peterman
Its in Dapper Universe. If its not in Breezy Universe I'm sure it can be
Backported

~ Chris Peterman

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 03:35 +0200, Ari Torhamo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just spent a while looking for a GUI-program for monitoring
> temperature and fan speed in my system. I found a package named
> lm-sensors which does the thing, but has no GUI. I found a Gnome
> frontend for lm-sensors called GNOME Sensors Applet, but it doesn't seem
> to be in any of the Ubuntu repositories.
>
> Is anyone possibly planning to bring GNOME Sensors Applet to Ubuntu? I
> think it would be good to have a way for not-so-skilled users to monitor
> system health and perhaps get an early warning when their system is
> running too hot. Or have I missed a way to do this graphically in
> Ubuntu?
>
> Here's a link to the applets home page:
> http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=home
>
> Regards,
>
> Ari Torhamo

Re: Monitoring temperature and fanspeed graphically in Ubuntu

Peter Garrett
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:35:23 +0200
Ari Torhamo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> think it would be good to have a way for not-so-skilled users to monitor
> system health and perhaps get an early warning when their system is
> running too hot. Or have I missed a way to do this graphically in
> Ubuntu?

It can be done - I had it working (more or less) with Warty, using gkrellm as a graphical display- but setting it up was not trivial IMO.

I agree that a simple way to get this working and an easy monitoring GUI would be a great thing to have.

I used the instructions here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2780&highlight=lm-sensors

but I was flying blind, and have no idea if this is the "correct" method for doing it. I did notice that the temperature monitoring seemed not to work after following these instructions, although the fan monitor seemed OK, but whather that was an issue with my particukar hardware, an error on my part , or something odd in the "howto" I don't know.

Peter

--

Linux User #343161

su, 2005-11-13 kello 20:45 -0500, Chris Peterman kirjoitti:
> Its in Dapper Universe. If its not in Breezy Universe I'm sure it can be
> Backported

Krhm... I just noticed that I didn't have universe enabled :-/ I thought
I had, but I actually had just universe updates. Well, GNOME Sensors
Applett isn't in universe anyway. There are a couple of other lm-sensors
GUIs though, but none of them are Gnome apps - they are for KDE,
WindowMaker and Xfce.

Where should I go to file a request for backporting GNOME Sensors Applet
to Breezy? :-)

Ari

Re: Monitoring temperature and fanspeed graphically in Ubuntu

ulrich steffens
Am Montag, den 14.11.2005, 03:35 +0200 schrieb Ari Torhamo:

> Hi,
>
> I just spent a while looking for a GUI-program for monitoring
> temperature and fan speed in my system. I found a package named
> lm-sensors which does the thing, but has no GUI. I found a Gnome
> frontend for lm-sensors called GNOME Sensors Applet, but it doesn't seem
> to be in any of the Ubuntu repositories.
>
> Is anyone possibly planning to bring GNOME Sensors Applet to Ubuntu? I
> think it would be good to have a way for not-so-skilled users to monitor
> system health and perhaps get an early warning when their system is
> running too hot. Or have I missed a way to do this graphically in
> Ubuntu?
>
> Here's a link to the applets home page:
> http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=home
>
> Regards,
>
> Ari Torhamo

you could also have a look at gdesklets. its in universe and unlike the
sensors-applet the information is being displayed on the desktop.

ulrich

ma, 2005-11-14 kello 13:01 +1100, Peter Garrett kirjoitti:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:35:23 +0200
> Ari Torhamo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > think it would be good to have a way for not-so-skilled users to monitor
> > system health and perhaps get an early warning when their system is
> > running too hot. Or have I missed a way to do this graphically in
> > Ubuntu?
>
> It can be done - I had it working (more or less) with Warty, using gkrellm as a graphical display- but setting it up was not trivial IMO.
>
> I agree that a simple way to get this working and an easy monitoring GUI would be a great thing to have.
>
> I used the instructions here:
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2780&highlight=lm-sensors

Thanks for the link, but I had to start monitoring my own temperature
when I read those pages :-/ I'd propably pay for a new CPU every now and
then to replace the burned one, if that was the only way not to ever
have to study and implement those instructions :-) Anyway, I'm glad you
agree that a simple solution is needed.

Regards,

Ari

ma, 2005-11-14 kello 03:48 +0100, ulrich steffens kirjoitti:

> you could also have a look at gdesklets. its in universe and unlike the
> sensors-applet the information is being displayed on the desktop.
>
> ulrich

I installed gdesklets, but couldn't get out the temperature or fan speed
readings. After some struggle and head scratching I did sensor-detect in
terminal (read the readme :-), went through the process and tried again.
Now the desklet had sort of stopped working ("configure desklet" didn't
open and the log said "Something bad and unexpected happened."). Got the
idea of trying xsensors again (which I installed earlier and tried
without success) and now it worked! I almost couldn't believe my eyes.

Xsensors actually looks rather nice, but I still would like to have a
real Gnome UI. And above all, an easy to use graphical configuration
process. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to build - sensor-detect of
lm-sensors seemd quite intelligent and perhaps needs just a frontend and
a good user guide.

Regards,

Ari

Re: Monitoring temperature and fanspeed graphically in Ubuntu

tom-43
On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 03:35 +0200, Ari Torhamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just spent a while looking for a GUI-program for monitoring
> temperature and fan speed in my system. I found a package named
> lm-sensors which does the thing, but has no GUI. I found a Gnome
> frontend for lm-sensors called GNOME Sensors Applet, but it doesn't seem
> to be in any of the Ubuntu repositories.

snip ...

I have simply achieved the objectives you set by installs of lm-sensors
and gkrellm which is a highly configurable gui.

Being highly configurable you will prob need to spend 10 minutes or so
playing with its setup to get the results you want.

Its a snack really and i encourage you to try this route so that until a
better solution occurs at least you have the ability to watch the temps
etc.

tom

ma, 2005-11-14 kello 15:30 +1100, tom kirjoitti:

> I have simply achieved the objectives you set by installs of lm-sensors
> and gkrellm which is a highly configurable gui.
>
> Being highly configurable you will prob need to spend 10 minutes or so
> playing with its setup to get the results you want.
>
> Its a snack really and i encourage you to try this route so that until a
> better solution occurs at least you have the ability to watch the temps
> etc.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I installed gkrellm and it works. I remember seeing
gkrellm in many Linux screenshots, but didn't know what it was. BTW, is
it really a GUI for lm-sensors? I'm wondering because lm-sensors isn't
mentioned as one of it's dependencies.

One thing that seems a little odd is that gkrellm doesn't tell which
temperature is which, but I have to guess. Xsensors, which I installed
too, tells this information without need to configure anything. This too
made me think if gkrellm really is a GUI for lm-sensors.

Ari