Monitors will not go into standby

Tony Arnold-3
I'm running 18.04 with the vanilla Gnome desktop. I have an AMD R460 graphics card using the open source drivers that come with Ubuntu (amdgpu) and 2 Illiad ProLite B2483HS monitors.

The problem is that the monitors do not go into standby or power save mode when system is idle. If I lock the screen, I get the screen lock background picture which stays there forever. I'd like the monitors to go into stand by mode after a given time.

If I just leave the system for a while, I get a blank screen with the cursor, but still ni power save on the monitors.

I can't see anything in the settings either for Power or DIsplay where I can configure standby/power save mode for the monitors.

I've googled this as much as I can but have not found a solution.

Anybody any ideas on how I can fix this one?

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

Re: Monitors will not go into standby

Liam Proven
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 at 21:08, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running 18.04 with the vanilla Gnome desktop. I have an AMD R460 graphics card using the open source drivers that come with Ubuntu (amdgpu) and 2 Illiad ProLite B2483HS monitors.
[...]
> Anybody any ideas on how I can fix this one?

2 obvious questions spring to mind. Forgive me if they are _too_ obvious.

[1] X.org or Wayland? Whichever you're using, try the other.

[2] "...I'm using the open source drivers" → then try the AMD binary ones.

Re: Monitors will not go into standby

Tony Arnold-3
Liam,

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 11:16 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 at 21:08, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]
> k> wrote:
>
> I'm running 18.04 with the vanilla Gnome desktop. I have an AMD R460
> graphics card using the open source drivers that come with Ubuntu
> (amdgpu) and 2 Illiad ProLite B2483HS monitors.
> [...]
>
> Anybody any ideas on how I can fix this one?
>
> 2 obvious questions spring to mind. Forgive me if they are _too_
> obvious.
>
> [1] X.org or Wayland? Whichever you're using, try the other.
I'm using X.org. Trying to avoid Wayland for now! It has problems
especially when using screen sharing applications such as Webex, Zoom,
TeamViewer, but will give it a try.

> [2] "...I'm using the open source drivers" → then try the AMD binary
> ones.

I'll also try that.

I am half convinced it's a graphic driver issue, so worth pursuing that
one.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | Desk 51, Office 2, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Monitors will not go into standby

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 06/06/2018 06:28 AM, Tony Arnold wrote:

> I am half convinced it's a graphic driver issue, so worth pursuing that
> one.

The only troubles Ive had with monitors as you describe was because the
cable I was using didnt support it.

Re: Monitors will not go into standby

Tony Arnold-3
Compdoc,

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 09:50 -0600, compdoc wrote:

> On 06/06/2018 06:28 AM, Tony Arnold wrote:
>

> I am half convinced it's a graphic driver issue, so worth pursuing
> that
> one.
>
> The only troubles Ive had with monitors as you describe was because
> the
> cable I was using didnt support it.

Do you mean the type of cable or quality/features of cable? I have 2
monitors. One is on display port and the other is DVI. Neither of them
go into power save mode.

Regards,
Tony.

On 06/06/2018 11:33 AM, Tony Arnold wrote:

> Do you mean the type of cable or quality/features of cable? I have 2
> monitors. One is on display port and the other is DVI. Neither of them
> go into power save mode.

They make DVI cables that are fully wired with a decent gauge wire, and
they also make them with only a bare minimum wires and not all pins are
connected.

Theres various ways to make monitors sleep, and one way is using the
wiring. A way to rule things out would be to try a quality VGA cable, if
the vid card/monitor support it.

Another might be a try a different brand of DVI cable that appears to to
have all wires/pins actually connected properly.

I cant speak to Display Port. The connector reminds me of a usb cable,
where the video/audio signal must be sent serially? I haven't researched
it.

Maybe the OS expects VGA and the signaling its using is not compatible
with DVI or Display Port. Maybe the type of signaling can be adjusted.