Mount non-ipod mp3 player

Alligator
What would the /dev/____ name be, how do I mount it and what gnome apt
using Breezy would I use to download my tunes/

RE: Mount non-ipod mp3 player

Will H. Backman

That depends on the player.  Some mp3 players appear to be nothing more
than a USB memory drive and should pop up on your screen.  Other players
require special software to communicate with them.

What kind of MP3 player is it?

Re: Mount non-ipod mp3 player

Carlton Noles
I have a lyra and have not connected it yet , If it behaves the same as xp (i imagine it will) it will show up as sda1 just as my jump drive does.

On 11/15/05, Will H. Backman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Carlton "Kermit" Noles

Re: Mount non-ipod mp3 player

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
Hey

Alligator wrote:
> What would the /dev/____ name be, how do I mount it and what gnome apt
> using Breezy would I use to download my tunes/

I just plug my SanDisk SDMX1 and get a file browser window with the mp3
shown from my player. Drag and Drop the new files and that's it... I
have to listen to them too :-)

Regards, Thomas

PS: In my case it is /dev/sdc1. "fdisk -l" should give you a hint.

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Re: Mount non-ipod mp3 player

zach-7
you can watch /var/log/messages to see what device is created when you
plug it in.

do this
tail -f /var/log/messages

the tail command shows you the last n lines of a file, where n=10 by default.
The -f option says to "follow", i.e., show me any new lines as they're added.
/var/log/messages, is where may system messages get logged.

This should reveal to you what device maps to your mp3 player.

However, if it isn't getting mounted automatically then there probably
more complicated problems.

Some mp3 players do not conform the usb mass storage class
specification and require proprietary software to interact with them.
If you have ever used the mp3 player in another operating system such
as windows or OS X and you had to install special software before it
would be recognized, then this may be the case.