Moving to a new computer

Bob

Moving to a new computer

Bob
I need to move Ubuntu to another computer.  Both computers use Intel chip sets.
What I want to do is just move the hard drive from one to the other.  I know
that all the devices will not be the same so what I want to know is how to
update the Ubuntu configuration on the new computer so it recognizes all the
devices.

--
Robert Blair

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.  -- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Re: Moving to a new computer

Colin Law
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 21:29, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to move Ubuntu to another computer.  Both computers use Intel chip sets.
> What I want to do is just move the hard drive from one to the other.  I know
> that all the devices will not be the same so what I want to know is how to
> update the Ubuntu configuration on the new computer so it recognizes all the
> devices.

If you are using the intel graphics, and assuming they are both 64 bit
processors, then there is a good probability it will just go.  Try it
and see, obviously you have already backed up all important data.
However you might have trouble getting it to boot with UEFI if the new
one uses that instead of a BIOS.

Colin

> --
> Robert Blair
>

> The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.  -- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bob

Re: Moving to a new computer

Bob
** Reply to message from Colin Law <[hidden email]> on Wed, 14 Aug 2019
22:05:47 +0100

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 21:29, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I need to move Ubuntu to another computer.  Both computers use Intel chip sets.
> > What I want to do is just move the hard drive from one to the other.  I know
> > that all the devices will not be the same so what I want to know is how to
> > update the Ubuntu configuration on the new computer so it recognizes all the
> > devices.
>
> If you are using the intel graphics, and assuming they are both 64 bit
> processors, then there is a good probability it will just go.  Try it
> and see, obviously you have already backed up all important data.
> However you might have trouble getting it to boot with UEFI if the new
> one uses that instead of a BIOS.
>
> Colin

Both computers are 64 bit and UEFI.  So it would be nice if I do not have to
manually do anything.  Will let you know what the results are.

Thanks

--
Robert Blair

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.  -- James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)

Re: Moving to a new computer

Robert Heller
At Wed, 14 Aug 2019 13:25:55 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to move Ubuntu to another computer.  Both computers use Intel chip sets.
> What I want to do is just move the hard drive from one to the other.  I know
> that all the devices will not be the same so what I want to know is how to
> update the Ubuntu configuration on the new computer so it recognizes all the
> devices.

For the most part this will happen automagically.  Most of the device-specific
"configuration" is dynamic anyway, very little is actually "configured" these
days.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Moving to a new computer

Colin Law
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 23:10 Bob, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ** Reply to message from Colin Law <[hidden email]> on Wed, 14 Aug 2019
> 22:05:47 +0100
>

> Both computers are 64 bit and UEFI.  So it would be nice if I do not have to
> manually do anything.  Will let you know what the results are.

It might be worth booting from a live image first to check that the
machine is happy with Ubuntu.

Colin

Re: Moving to a new computer

Stan-18
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 01:25:55PM -0700, Bob wrote:
> I need to move Ubuntu to another computer.  Both computers use Intel chip sets.
> What I want to do is just move the hard drive from one to the other.  I know
> that all the devices will not be the same so what I want to know is how to
> update the Ubuntu configuration on the new computer so it recognizes all the
> devices.

I would think the absolute 1st question would be if you are using UEFI boot,
or not.
neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin

Bob

Re: Moving to a new computer

Bob
** Reply to message from Colin Law <[hidden email]> on Wed, 14 Aug 2019
22:05:47 +0100

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 21:29, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I need to move Ubuntu to another computer.  Both computers use Intel chip sets.
> > What I want to do is just move the hard drive from one to the other.  I know
> > that all the devices will not be the same so what I want to know is how to
> > update the Ubuntu configuration on the new computer so it recognizes all the
> > devices.
>
> If you are using the intel graphics, and assuming they are both 64 bit
> processors, then there is a good probability it will just go.  Try it
> and see, obviously you have already backed up all important data.
> However you might have trouble getting it to boot with UEFI if the new
> one uses that instead of a BIOS.

Moving the hard drive to the new system worked well.

The display only came up in single display mode.  That was easy to fix.  Do not
understand why that setting changed.

VirtualBox would not start because of security issues.  I searched and found a
few messages on how to sign the VirtualBox modules but none of those worked.
So I have disabled boot security which allows VirtualBox to execute, I do not
remember how that was set on the old computer but my guess would be disabled.

--
Robert Blair

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!  -- Pericles (430 B..C.)