Multiple hard drives

adel wollemas

 I am totally new to Linux and Ubuntu. But guess what, my first installation went smoothly and I am even writing this email from Ubuntu.

My problem is that I have three hard drives: 1. Maxtor SATA drive 80 GB. running Winxp professional. 2. Western Digital standard ide 40 GB running Windows 2000 professional. 3. Last but not the least is Maxtor standard ide 10 GB running UBUNTU.

The only way I can boot UBUNTU is if I set it as the first choice on the boot sequence in Bios. If it is not the first choice, then I get the option of winxp or win2k. My guess is that grub is not seeing the other two os. Can somebody help me?

Thanks for your help

Adel

Re: Multiple hard drives

Paweł
Install grub in MBR on your 1st (Maxtor SATA drive 80 GB) hd. That shoud
fix problem.

adel wollemas napisa?(a):

>  I am totally new to Linux and Ubuntu. But guess what, my first
> installation went smoothly and I am even writing this email from Ubuntu.
>
> My problem is that I have three hard drives: 1. Maxtor SATA drive 80 GB.
> running Winxp professional. 2. Western Digital standard ide 40 GB
> running Windows 2000 professional. 3. Last but not the least is Maxtor
> standard ide 10 GB running UBUNTU.
>
> The only way I can boot UBUNTU is if I set it as the first choice on the
> boot sequence in Bios. If it is not the first choice, then I get the
> option of winxp or win2k. My guess is that grub is not seeing the other
> two os. Can somebody help me?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Adel

Re: Multiple hard drives

Richard Curley
On Thursday 01 December 2005 12:38, adel wollemas wrote:

>  I am totally new to Linux and Ubuntu. But guess what, my first
> installation went smoothly and I am even writing this email from
> Ubuntu.
>
> My problem is that I have three hard drives: 1. Maxtor SATA drive
> 80 GB. running Winxp professional. 2. Western Digital standard ide
> 40 GB running Windows 2000 professional. 3. Last but not the least
> is Maxtor standard ide 10 GB running UBUNTU.
>
> The only way I can boot UBUNTU is if I set it as the first choice
> on the boot sequence in Bios. If it is not the first choice, then I
> get the option of winxp or win2k. My guess is that grub is not
> seeing the other two os. Can somebody help me?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Adel

I recently read about SATA drives and the kernel and I gather that
they aren't well supported with our present kernel.  Should be ok in
the latest 2.6.15 I think.  At any rate don't be surprised if you
have problems,  be sure to have a means of starting XP on the SATA
drive if its MBR gets hosed when you try to write to it.

Cheers

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont.Can