Muon and Kubuntu Package Management

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hello I am somewhat new to linux Kubuntu. I am wanting access to FSF GNU software can anyone give me suggestions for how to access this software. Is the trisquel repo best for this?. Also their is a graphical package called Muon on kubuntu.It slows me to add repositories but says to enter the complete APT line on the repo that you want to add. What does this mean? Do I just type apt etc.etc. or sudo apt? Can anyone tell me what the best repos are for linux? Or the best software cd rooms?
        also in ubuntu in the graphical interface I select discover and then at the bottom of the screen I can select sources. When I do this at the top of the screen it says snap than bellow that UBUNTU Default below that their are a number of check boxes but half are not checked. What is this?

Re: Muon and Kubuntu Package Management

Wade Smart-2
I use Kubuntu but I installed synaptic and use that instead.
Muon had issues running.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 6:41 PM M.R.P. zensky via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello I am somewhat new to linux Kubuntu. I am wanting access to FSF GNU software can anyone give me suggestions for how to access this software. Is the trisquel repo best for this?. Also their is a graphical package called Muon on kubuntu.It slows me to add repositories but says to enter the complete APT line on the repo that you want to add. What does this mean? Do I just type apt etc.etc. or sudo apt? Can anyone tell me what the best repos are for linux? Or the best software cd rooms?
>         also in ubuntu in the graphical interface I select discover and then at the bottom of the screen I can select sources. When I do this at the top of the screen it says snap than bellow that UBUNTU Default below that their are a number of check boxes but half are not checked. What is this?

Re: Muon and Kubuntu Package Management

Little Girl
Hey there,

M.R.P. zensky via ubuntu-users wrote:

>Hello I am somewhat new to linux Kubuntu. I am wanting access to FSF
>GNU software can anyone give me suggestions for how to access this
>software. Is the trisquel repo best for this?. Also their is a
>graphical package called Muon on kubuntu.It slows me to add
>repositories but says to enter the complete APT line on the repo
>that you want to add. What does this mean? Do I just type apt
>etc.etc. or sudo apt?

This page might be useful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Muon and Kubuntu Package Management

Tommy Trussell
[...]

Just to be clear, at some point in your message you switched from writing "Kubuntu" to "Ubuntu." Of course "under the hood" there are lots of similarities, but a lot about the way you interact with the different "flavors" of Ubuntu differ depending on which one(s) you're using. This is the ubuntu-users email list so most of the discussion here will assume "regular" Ubuntu (whatever that is -- you often have to specify even still).

You might also want to join the kubuntu-users email list to be around discussions focused more specifically on Kubuntu.

You also mentioned the trisquel repository -- If you are using Trisquel then you're starting from yet ANOTHER different place, so you might want to figure out where their folks hang out and be ready to ask questions there. I just looked it up at https://trisquel.info/ -- it's a linux distribution based upon Ubuntu, but that leaves out the "non-free" software. So there's a possibility that any answer folks provide HERE may depend upon software that's not available for Trisquel.

OK all that said, remember I have not seen the exact software screen you are describing. ALL of this assumes you're connected to the Internet, so there are no CD-ROMs needed.

Looking at the page Little Girl linked to about software repositories:

That page describes how software repositories work in Kubuntu. Please realize it was written in 2015 for an older release of Kubuntu (probably the LTS version from 2014), so the screens you see on your system will look different. But I am sure a lot of the information is similar.

Please wait before you enter any special repositories onto your system -- if you stick with the "checkboxes" you will not likely break things. If you start keying in special repositories, you may.

If you are not BUILDING software then you do not need to activate any of the "source code" or "src" repositories. (It won't hurt anything if you do.) So for getting started, feel free to ignore those.

Since the Kubuntu repositories page was written, software is now available via "snaps," which make software easier for developers to deliver to lots of different systems, at the expense of taking a bit more space than the repository method. Sometimes you will find the same software in snaps AND from repositories, which unfortunately can be a bit confusing. IN GENERAL, the snap packages will usually be newer. You might also notice some operational differences with the same package delivered in a snap, so if you report a problem, the developers will often need to know the exact version and how it has been installed on your system.

I hope that makes the checkboxes you asked about a bit more clear.

Re: Muon and Kubuntu Package Management

Bret Busby-2
On 31/10/2019, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 6:41 PM M.R.P. zensky via ubuntu-users <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello I am somewhat new to linux Kubuntu. I am wanting access to FSF GNU
>> software can anyone give me suggestions for how to access this software.
>> Is
>> the trisquel repo best for this?. Also their is a graphical package
>> called
>> Muon on kubuntu.It slows me to add repositories but says to enter the
>> complete APT line on the repo that you want to add. What does this mean?
>> Do
>> I just type apt etc.etc. or sudo apt? Can anyone tell me what the best
>> repos are for linux? Or the best software cd rooms?
>>         also in ubuntu in the graphical interface I select discover and
>> then at the bottom of the screen I can select sources. When I do this at
>> the top of the screen it says snap than bellow that UBUNTU Default below
>> that their are a number of check boxes but half are not checked. What is
>> this?
>>

> Just to be clear, at some point in your message you switched from writing
> "Kubuntu" to "Ubuntu." Of course "under the hood" there are lots of
> similarities, but a lot about the way you interact with the different
> "flavors" of Ubuntu differ depending on which one(s) you're using. This is
> the ubuntu-users email list so most of the discussion here will assume
> "regular" Ubuntu (whatever that is -- you often have to specify even
> still).
>
> You might also want to join the kubuntu-users email list to be around
> discussions focused more specifically on Kubuntu.
>
> You also mentioned the trisquel repository -- If you are using Trisquel
> then you're starting from yet ANOTHER different place, so you might want to
> figure out where their folks hang out and be ready to ask questions there.

Users -
https://listas.trisquel.info/mailman/listinfo/trisquel-users

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Muon and Kubuntu Package Management

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 00:41, M.R.P. zensky via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello I am somewhat new to linux Kubuntu.

Which? Linux or Kubuntu?

> I am wanting access to FSF GNU software

Ubuntu & Kubuntu are almost entirely built from GNU software.

> can anyone give me suggestions for how to access this software.

If you are running Kubuntu,. you are looking at it.

> Is the trisquel repo best for this?

*NO!* Do NOT add any distribution's repositories to another distro, ever!

> Also their is a graphical package called Muon on kubuntu.

I recommend Synaptic. It's not a KDE program but it's the best I know.

> It slows me to add repositories but says to enter the complete APT line on the repo that you want to add.

Don't.

If you are a beginner, don't. Not at all, not ever. Do not do this.

> What does this mean?

Don't worry about it just don't do it.

> Do I just type apt etc.etc. or sudo apt?

No. Those are commands.  They are alternatives to Muon or whatever.

> Can anyone tell me what the best repos are for linux?

You don't need repos. All the repos you need are built in.

> Or the best software cd rooms?

You never ever need these. Do not install software from disk into Linux, ever.

>         also in ubuntu

Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

> in the graphical interface

In the GUI to what?

> I select discover

In what program?

> and then at the bottom of the screen I can select sources.

Leave them alone.

> When I do this at the top of the screen it says snap than bellow that UBUNTU Default below that their are a number of check boxes but half are not checked. What is this?

Quit the program, do not change anything.

This is not where to begin.