My friend's computer problem

calcmandan
I'll give some background of his story.  I told him months ago about a great distro called Kubuntu that I was going to test.  so I did all the testing to my heart's content when I decided to move from FC2 -> Hoary.  Then a few days later, Breezy came out.  So the upgrade really improved its disposition.  The checklist I had for doing the full upgrade had been met and did the migration.  He said the only way he'd move from his stable FC2 was if my install and implementation of software ran flawlessly.

The weekend before last, he came over to my house to install Kubuntu.  We could've done it at his house, but he has no broadband yet, while I do.  The first snag was the NIC.  It couldn't detect the internet (though FC2 and Mepis could.  We tested them to see if it was the hardware).  We tried a multitude of things to no luck.  I couldn't get the NIC or the spare to work in Kubuntu yet they worked in two other distros just fine.

So, we left it at that and decided to just update the packages slowly via modem.

Now, I got all the proper settings done in KPPP.  But the software hangs at "initializing" and won't even try to dial out.  I didn't see inetd daemon running on the list, or was it listed period.  And PPP and PPP-dns weren't running.

His modem is hardware based and purchased specifically to run in Linux since he's really trying hard to go with OSS permanently.  I'd really like to see his box online but I don't want him running a RPM based distro or one with a shabby interface.  Kubuntu is the chosen distro here.

Any hints?  So far we know the following:

  • Both NICS work (fedora and mepis)
  • Modem works in both M$ and Fedora
  • Stops at the 'initializing modem' part.
  • Hardware modem
  • Hardware is in the PCI listing (brand name included)
  • Installed Kubuntu a number of times
So, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--
Daniel

Download the best linux distro around at: http://www.kubuntu.org

Re: My friend's computer problem

Steve Turnbull-3
On Friday 11 November 2005 22:25, Daniel Lausevic wrote:

> I'll give some background of his story. I told him months ago about a great
> distro called Kubuntu that I was going to test. so I did all the testing to
> my heart's content when I decided to move from FC2 -> Hoary. Then a few
> days later, Breezy came out. So the upgrade really improved its
> disposition. The checklist I had for doing the full upgrade had been met
> and did the migration. He said the only way he'd move from his stable FC2
> was if my install and implementation of software ran flawlessly.
>
> The weekend before last, he came over to my house to install Kubuntu. We
> could've done it at his house, but he has no broadband yet, while I do. The
> first snag was the NIC. It couldn't detect the internet (though FC2 and
> Mepis could. We tested them to see if it was the hardware). We tried a
> multitude of things to no luck. I couldn't get the NIC or the spare to work
> in Kubuntu yet they worked in two other distros just fine.
>
> So, we left it at that and decided to just update the packages slowly via
> modem.
>
> Now, I got all the proper settings done in KPPP. But the software hangs at
> "initializing" and won't even try to dial out. I didn't see inetd daemon
> running on the list, or was it listed period. And PPP and PPP-dns weren't
> running.
>
> His modem is hardware based and purchased specifically to run in Linux
> since he's really trying hard to go with OSS permanently. I'd really like
> to see his box online but I don't want him running a RPM based distro or
> one with a shabby interface. Kubuntu is the chosen distro here.
>
> Any hints? So far we know the following:
>

>    - Both NICS work (fedora and mepis)
>     - Modem works in both M$ and Fedora
>    - Stops at the 'initializing modem' part.
>    - Hardware modem
>    - Hardware is in the PCI listing (brand name included)
>    - Installed Kubuntu a number of times
>
> So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to install 5.04 (Hoary) or 5.10 (Breezy) ?

I had problems with Breezy - one being wireless networking.

See this thread with my 5.10 issues;

http://kubuntuforums.net/index.php?topic=1540.0

Not a solution, just some thoughts really

--
Steve Turnbull

Digital Content Developer
YHGfL Foundation