My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

c. marlow
I just googled my issue and it DOES look like 13.10 does have a memory
leak issue and the only thing you can do when it gets up real high is
either log off and back on to get it down from 1.1 gig back to 400 mb or
go and kill gnome-session and when it takes you back to the log in
screen just sign back in.... or when I get done just log off everytime
and sign in when im ready to get back on the computer

ugh......... just my luck I should of installed 13.04 or 12.04

--
c. marlow <[hidden email]>

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Colin Law
On 10 April 2014 16:57, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just googled my issue and it DOES look like 13.10 does have a memory
> leak issue and the only thing you can do when it gets up real high is
> either log off and back on to get it down from 1.1 gig back to 400 mb or
> go and kill gnome-session and when it takes you back to the log in
> screen just sign back in.... or when I get done just log off everytime
> and sign in when im ready to get back on the computer
>
> ugh......... just my luck I should of installed 13.04 or 12.04

I have not seen any such issues.  Is there a bug report for this?
Does the system monitor show that a particular app is using lots of memory?

You could always try 14.04.  Not much point installing 13.10 at the
moment anyway when the next version is due any day.

Colin

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 17:29 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 16:57, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I just googled my issue and it DOES look like 13.10 does have a memory
> > leak issue and the only thing you can do when it gets up real high is
> > either log off and back on to get it down from 1.1 gig back to 400 mb or
> > go and kill gnome-session and when it takes you back to the log in
> > screen just sign back in.... or when I get done just log off everytime
> > and sign in when im ready to get back on the computer
> >
> > ugh......... just my luck I should of installed 13.04 or 12.04
>
> I have not seen any such issues.  Is there a bug report for this?
> Does the system monitor show that a particular app is using lots of memory?
>
> You could always try 14.04.  Not much point installing 13.10 at the
> moment anyway when the next version is due any day.
>
> Colin

This was taken this morning Colin, I left NOTHING open... I went to bed
forgot to put pc in standby and just had turned the monitor off. I woke
up around 2 am and saw this.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/damnunity_zps86c07b3b.png

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 12:12 -0500, c. marlow wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 17:29 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 10 April 2014 16:57, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I just googled my issue and it DOES look like 13.10 does have a memory
> > > leak issue and the only thing you can do when it gets up real high is
> > > either log off and back on to get it down from 1.1 gig back to 400 mb or
> > > go and kill gnome-session and when it takes you back to the log in
> > > screen just sign back in.... or when I get done just log off everytime
> > > and sign in when im ready to get back on the computer
> > >
> > > ugh......... just my luck I should of installed 13.04 or 12.04
> >
> > I have not seen any such issues.  Is there a bug report for this?
> > Does the system monitor show that a particular app is using lots of memory?
> >
> > You could always try 14.04.  Not much point installing 13.10 at the
> > moment anyway when the next version is due any day.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> This was taken this morning Colin, I left NOTHING open... I went to bed
> forgot to put pc in standby and just had turned the monitor off. I woke
> up around 2 am and saw this.
>
> http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/damnunity_zps86c07b3b.png

Oops.. Correction that was from last night but I have one from this
morning too... If you google 13.10 memory eating issue a few people have
posted on the boards about it.

--
c. marlow <[hidden email]>

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Pete Smout-2
On 10/04/14 17:29, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 16:57, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just googled my issue and it DOES look like 13.10 does have a memory
>> leak issue and the only thing you can do when it gets up real high is
>> either log off and back on to get it down from 1.1 gig back to 400 mb or
>> go and kill gnome-session and when it takes you back to the log in
>> screen just sign back in.... or when I get done just log off everytime
>> and sign in when im ready to get back on the computer
>>
>> ugh......... just my luck I should of installed 13.04 or 12.04
>
> I have not seen any such issues.  Is there a bug report for this?
> Does the system monitor show that a particular app is using lots of memory?
>
> You could always try 14.04.  Not much point installing 13.10 at the
> moment anyway when the next version is due any day.
>
> Colin

Hi,
I've seen a similar issue, and conky <top> shows Clementine using 98% of
my CPU for playing a MP3 file! I had no idea whether it was Clementine
or 13.10 causing it!

I asked on the Clementine F-book page and they told me it was a Ubuntu
specific issue they were looking into, but if it happens with other apps
then it's unfair to blame them!

Hopefully it's solved in 14.04 being a LTS version :) by all I have read
on-line so far looking forward to it!

Regards

Pete S

On 10 April 2014 18:12, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 17:29 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 10 April 2014 16:57, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I just googled my issue and it DOES look like 13.10 does have a memory
>> > leak issue and the only thing you can do when it gets up real high is
>> > either log off and back on to get it down from 1.1 gig back to 400 mb or
>> > go and kill gnome-session and when it takes you back to the log in
>> > screen just sign back in.... or when I get done just log off everytime
>> > and sign in when im ready to get back on the computer
>> >
>> > ugh......... just my luck I should of installed 13.04 or 12.04
>>
>> I have not seen any such issues.  Is there a bug report for this?
>> Does the system monitor show that a particular app is using lots of memory?
>>
>> You could always try 14.04.  Not much point installing 13.10 at the
>> moment anyway when the next version is due any day.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> This was taken this morning Colin, I left NOTHING open... I went to bed
> forgot to put pc in standby and just had turned the monitor off. I woke
> up around 2 am and saw this.
>
> http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/damnunity_zps86c07b3b.png

It is using less than half of the available RAM and virtually no swap.
 That is probably nothing to worry about.  Linux will use available
RAM for disk buffers and so on when it can in order to speed up the
system.  If that is what is happening then the memory will be freed up
if it is required.

If there were a significant memory leak then you would probably the
swap usage go up.

Next time it happens run top in a terminal and post the two lines
showing the memory usage.

Colin

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Rashkae-2
On 14-04-10 03:55 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> It is using less than half of the available RAM and virtually no swap.
> That is probably nothing to worry about. Linux will use available RAM
> for disk buffers and so on when it can in order to speed up the
> system. If that is what is happening then the memory will be freed up
> if it is required. If there were a significant memory leak then you
> would probably the swap usage go up. Next time it happens run top in a
> terminal and post the two lines showing the memory usage. Colin

That was my first thought as well.  Fortunately for my foot (which
already spends enough time down my throat as it is,) I tested the theory
before hitting Send button.  Gnome System Monitor already removes
Caching/buffers from Memory used stat.  And 1GB of ram is a huge amount
of memory for a system with no applications running. (Even with several
browser windows, Open Office, and various other misc windows open, my
mem usage per Gnome System Monitor was only 700MB.)

But as you say, we need to find out exactly what process is hogging all
the memory in this case.

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 20:55 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 18:12, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I have not seen any such issues.  Is there a bug report for this?
> >> Does the system monitor show that a particular app is using lots of memory?
> >>
> >> You could always try 14.04.  Not much point installing 13.10 at the
> >> moment anyway when the next version is due any day.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>

> > This was taken this morning Colin, I left NOTHING open... I went to bed
> > forgot to put pc in standby and just had turned the monitor off. I woke
> > up around 2 am and saw this.
> >
> > http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/damnunity_zps86c07b3b.png
>
> It is using less than half of the available RAM and virtually no swap.
>  That is probably nothing to worry about.  Linux will use available
> RAM for disk buffers and so on when it can in order to speed up the
> system.  If that is what is happening then the memory will be freed up
> if it is required.
>
> If there were a significant memory leak then you would probably the
> swap usage go up.
>
> Next time it happens run top in a terminal and post the two lines
> showing the memory usage.
>
> Colin

Ok Here you go here is my TOP ....  I walked away came back and Ubuntu
was at 1.1 gig being used.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/TOP.jpeg

On 14-04-10 09:30 PM, c. marlow wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 20:55 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

>>> This was taken this morning Colin, I left NOTHING open... I went to bed
>>> forgot to put pc in standby and just had turned the monitor off. I woke
>>> up around 2 am and saw this.
>>>
>>> http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/damnunity_zps86c07b3b.png
>> It is using less than half of the available RAM and virtually no swap.
>>   That is probably nothing to worry about.  Linux will use available
>> RAM for disk buffers and so on when it can in order to speed up the
>> system.  If that is what is happening then the memory will be freed up
>> if it is required.
>>
>> If there were a significant memory leak then you would probably the
>> swap usage go up.
>>
>> Next time it happens run top in a terminal and post the two lines
>> showing the memory usage.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Ok Here you go here is my TOP ....  I walked away came back and Ubuntu
> was at 1.1 gig being used.
>
> http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/TOP.jpeg

Well, that shows your culplit pretty clear, Firefox and
"plugin-container" with 70% cpu usage, as well as 700+MB of memory for
that alone... you left a browser window open on a site with a demanding
flash thingy?

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 22:36 -0400, Rashkae wrote:

> On 14-04-10 09:30 PM, c. marlow wrote:

> >> It is using less than half of the available RAM and virtually no swap.
> >>   That is probably nothing to worry about.  Linux will use available
> >> RAM for disk buffers and so on when it can in order to speed up the
> >> system.  If that is what is happening then the memory will be freed up
> >> if it is required.
> >>
> >> If there were a significant memory leak then you would probably the
> >> swap usage go up.
> >>
> >> Next time it happens run top in a terminal and post the two lines
> >> showing the memory usage.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>

> > Ok Here you go here is my TOP ....  I walked away came back and Ubuntu
> > was at 1.1 gig being used.
> >
> > http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/TOP.jpeg
>
> Well, that shows your culplit pretty clear, Firefox and
> "plugin-container" with 70% cpu usage, as well as 700+MB of memory for
> that alone... you left a browser window open on a site with a demanding
> flash thingy?

Nope because I got up at 2 am this morning and got on the pc and it was
using 1.3 gigs and nothing was left open.
--
c. marlow <[hidden email]>

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Jeff Lane-2
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 22:36 -0400, Rashkae wrote:

>> > Ok Here you go here is my TOP ....  I walked away came back and Ubuntu
>> > was at 1.1 gig being used.
>> >
>> > http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/TOP.jpeg
>>
>> Well, that shows your culplit pretty clear, Firefox and
>> "plugin-container" with 70% cpu usage, as well as 700+MB of memory for
>> that alone... you left a browser window open on a site with a demanding
>> flash thingy?
>>

> Nope because I got up at 2 am this morning and got on the pc and it was
> using 1.3 gigs and nothing was left open.

Dump firefox and get Chrome...

This is a problem with Firefox, or if not specifically firefox, with
the plugins you have installed.  That's why you see plugin-container.
Watch it long enough, and you should see it slowly climb higher...

Another thing you need to do, is run top, but sort on the Res column.
Virt is the total memory size including what the app has mapped for
itself, any cached pages, etc., but Res is what's actually in RAM at
the moment.

http://mugurel.sumanariu.ro/linux/the-difference-among-virt-res-and-shr-in-top-output/

Anyway, I used to see this maddeningly as it would cause me to have to
reboot every two days because the browser plugins would constantly
chew up memory and never release it.  Eventually I dumped Firefox
completely and just use Chrome on my linux boxes today.  Chrome has
its own issues but it seems to work far better than Firefox.

Cheers
Jeff

On 11 April 2014 05:02, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nope because I got up at 2 am this morning and got on the pc and it was
> using 1.3 gigs and nothing was left open.

Well show us the mem figures for top from that then.  You can just
copy/paste the two memory lines from the terminal (Ctrl+Shift+C to
copy from the terminal).

Colin

On 11/04/14 05:27, J wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, that shows your culplit pretty clear, Firefox and
>>> "plugin-container" with 70% cpu usage, as well as 700+MB of memory for
>>> that alone... you left a browser window open on a site with a demanding
>>> flash thingy?
>>>

>> Nope because I got up at 2 am this morning and got on the pc and it was
>> using 1.3 gigs and nothing was left open.
>>

> Dump firefox and get Chrome...

Hi,

This hardly seems an answer, Ubuntu ships with Firefox as it's default
browser, and any newbie has the right to expect it to 'just work'(tm)
and a blanket "dump firefox for chrome(ium)" is hardly helpful!

> This is a problem with Firefox, or if not specifically firefox, with
> the plugins you have installed.  That's why you see plugin-container.
> Watch it long enough, and you should see it slowly climb higher...
>
> Another thing you need to do, is run top, but sort on the Res column.
> Virt is the total memory size including what the app has mapped for
> itself, any cached pages, etc., but Res is what's actually in RAM at
> the moment.
>
> http://mugurel.sumanariu.ro/linux/the-difference-among-virt-res-and-shr-in-top-output/
>
> Anyway, I used to see this maddeningly as it would cause me to have to
> reboot every two days because the browser plugins would constantly
> chew up memory and never release it.  Eventually I dumped Firefox
> completely and just use Chrome on my linux boxes today.  Chrome has
> its own issues but it seems to work far better than Firefox.
>
> Cheers
> Jeff

I have noticed the 'plug-in container' using a fair bit of my memory,
but it releases it when closed (the offending plug-in for me is
flash-player (non free)) <note:> I have tried gnash but it is NOT
compatible with all websites most notably youtube.com

I do not leave f-fox running all day open on any of my machines but as
an experiment I will leave it running tonight (not playing just open)
and see if I can replicate this and try to start debugging ;)

Let's see if we can solve this (or at least try and find if it is a
*buntu related or perhaps it's Adobe's fault (their Linux support has
been awful for a couple of years now :(  .) and deed it back up stream
to the relevant party (Mozilla, Adobe or the *buntu devs)

Regards

Pete S

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Nils Kassube-2
Peter Smout wrote:
> I have noticed the 'plug-in container' using a fair bit of my memory,
> but it releases it when closed (the offending plug-in for me is
> flash-player (non free)) <note:> I have tried gnash but it is NOT
> compatible with all websites most notably youtube.com

Are you sure flash is needed for youtube at all? I don't have flash (or
gnash) installed and can view youtube videos with firefox. Or is it pure
luck and YT requires flash for some videos?

Nils

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

iceblink
On 2014-04-11 13:33, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Peter Smout wrote:
>> I have noticed the 'plug-in container' using a fair bit of my
>> memory,
>> but it releases it when closed (the offending plug-in for me is
>> flash-player (non free)) <note:> I have tried gnash but it is NOT
>> compatible with all websites most notably youtube.com
>
> Are you sure flash is needed for youtube at all? I don't have flash
> (or
> gnash) installed and can view youtube videos with firefox. Or is it
> pure
> luck and YT requires flash for some videos?
>

> Nils

Flash is not needed:

Features
Video technology
Playback

Viewing YouTube videos on a personal computer needs the Adobe Flash
Player plug-in to be installed on the browser. The Adobe Flash Player
plug-in is one of the most common pieces of software installed on
personal computers and accounts for almost 75% of online video
material.[49]

In January 2010, YouTube launched an experimental version of the site
that uses the built-in multimedia capabilities of web browsers
supporting the HTML5 standard.[50] This allows videos to be viewed
without requiring Adobe Flash Player or any other plug-in to be
installed.[51][52] The YouTube site has a page that allows supported
browsers to opt into the HTML5 trial. Only browsers that support HTML5
Video using the H.264 or WebM formats can play the videos, and not all
videos on the site are available.[53][54]

YouTube experimented with Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP
(MPEG-DASH), which is an adaptive bit-rate HTTP-based streaming solution
optimizing the bitrate and quality for the available network.[55]
Currently they are using Adobe Dynamic Streaming for Flash.[56]

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

On 11/04/14 12:33, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Peter Smout wrote:
>> I have noticed the 'plug-in container' using a fair bit of my memory,
>> but it releases it when closed (the offending plug-in for me is
>> flash-player (non free)) <note:> I have tried gnash but it is NOT
>> compatible with all websites most notably youtube.com
>
> Are you sure flash is needed for youtube at all? I don't have flash (or
> gnash) installed and can view youtube videos with firefox. Or is it pure
> luck and YT requires flash for some videos?
>

> Nils

Hi,

Before I installed the flash plug-in YT would not work at all, I install
flash and it works ;)

Hope we can solve this as I can see people leaving their browser open,
(I don't) but I can see why people do!

Pete S

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

c. marlow
On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 22:36 -0400, Rashkae wrote:

> On 14-04-10 09:30 PM, c. marlow wrote:

> >> It is using less than half of the available RAM and virtually no swap.
> >>   That is probably nothing to worry about.  Linux will use available
> >> RAM for disk buffers and so on when it can in order to speed up the
> >> system.  If that is what is happening then the memory will be freed up
> >> if it is required.
> >>
> >> If there were a significant memory leak then you would probably the
> >> swap usage go up.
> >>
> >> Next time it happens run top in a terminal and post the two lines
> >> showing the memory usage.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>

> > Ok Here you go here is my TOP ....  I walked away came back and Ubuntu
> > was at 1.1 gig being used.
> >
> > http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/TOP.jpeg
>
> Well, that shows your culplit pretty clear, Firefox and
> "plugin-container" with 70% cpu usage, as well as 700+MB of memory for
> that alone... you left a browser window open on a site with a demanding
> flash thingy?

Only plug ins I have installed are:

Last Pass ( for passwords)

Xmarks ( bookmark syncer)

I just disabled all the Unity integration ones..

On 11 April 2014 14:21, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Only plug ins I have installed are:
>
> Last Pass ( for passwords)
>
> Xmarks ( bookmark syncer)

I have lost track of what problem you are trying to solve.  Is it that
you think FF is consuming more memory than it should or that the
system is consuming memory when no applications are running (which was
your original complaint I thought).

Colin

Re: My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Martin Cigorraga
Dump firefox and get Chrome...

Hmmm...
I've been an *avid* Chromium/Chrome user for the last 3 years but
beginning with release 33 I had to switch to Firefox as Chrome's
became a total system hog for my laptop (i5 480m, 8GB, 2,66mhz).
In fact when IDLE and with only one blank tab open Chrome is
consuming a sustained rate of 10~15% of CPU resources, nuts!

On the bright side except for some weird glitches (most notably when
handling lots of bookmarks) Firefox 28 runs very snappy on my side.
I still have to accept the fact I'm back into the Paleozoic Era running
FF but at least it wont kill my machine.

I seriously think it's time for Chrome devs to start debloating and
stripping fat from their once wonderful browser...

This is a problem with Firefox, or if not specifically firefox, with
the plugins you have installed.  That's why you see plugin-container.
Watch it long enough, and you should see it slowly climb higher...

Absolutely, every addon has its share of impact on the browser and
system performance, that's why one have toenable only the ones that
really use and let the rest disabled untilneeded.

-Martin

On 14-04-11 09:32 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> I have lost track of what problem you are trying to solve.  Is it that
> you think FF is consuming more memory than it should or that the
> system is consuming memory when no applications are running (which was
> your original complaint I thought).
>
> Colin

That was the original complaint, but then he sends us a screenshot of
top output with FF and Flash (supposedly, plugin-container) consuming
the lion's share of the memory.  We can only work on the information
provided.