NO sound

Douglas Pollard-3
I bought a HP Pavilion Desktop Gaming machine new. I replaced Windows 10
with the latest version of Xubuntu and I have no sound. MY monitory has
speakers but no sound when plugged in I also have to external speakers
110V driven and have no sound in them either so it seems I am not
getting sound out of Xubuntu . The possessor is Rysen 5 2400G. *gg DDR
i2666 Sdram, I tb hard drive, 128 GB Sata solid state drive, AMD Radeon
Rx 580 graphics card, I think xubuntu is installed on the ssd 128GB G
card   I can check that if you need that info. I have another old box
that is a Dell computer hooked up sound to it and it works. OH sound did
work with windows so like it's a set up problem ??    Thanks for any
help anyone can give.  Thanks, Doug Pollard.

Re: NO sound

ubuntu-users mailing list
When do you get no sound? IOW what software are you using?

What output do you get when running

  aplay -l

from command line?

Much likely Xubuntu has some sound setting dialogues provided by it's
main menu.

There might be some dialogue that allows to chose sound devices that
should be used with pulseaudio.

There also much likely is a speaker test dialogue.

--
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”

― Charles Ives

Re: NO sound

Douglas Pollard-3

On 10/03/2019 12:45 PM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> When do you get no sound? IOW what software are you using?
>
> What output do you get when running
>
>    aplay -l
>
> from command line?
>
> Much likely Xubuntu has some sound setting dialogues provided by it's
> main menu.
>
> There might be some dialogue that allows to chose sound devices that
> should be used with pulseaudio.
>
> There also much likely is a speaker test dialogue.

OK Got it! Had playback in volume colume control set digital  radion
px580 instead of analog. I am sad to say I did this same thing back
about 10 years ago. I Kind of remembered but couldn't remember what to
do to fix it.  Getting 0ld I guess?  Thanks much , Doug Pollard

Re: NO sound

Stan-18
On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 11:50:51AM -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:

> I bought a HP Pavilion Desktop Gaming machine new. I replaced Windows 10
> with the latest version of Xubuntu and I have no sound. MY monitory has
> speakers but no sound when plugged in I also have to external speakers 110V
> driven and have no sound in them either so it seems I am not getting sound
> out of Xubuntu . The possessor is Rysen 5 2400G. *gg DDR i2666 Sdram, I tb
> hard drive, 128 GB Sata solid state drive, AMD Radeon Rx 580 graphics card,
> I think xubuntu is installed on the ssd 128GB G card ?? I can check that if
> you need that info. I have another old box that is a Dell computer hooked up
> sound to it and it works. OH sound did work with windows so like it's a set
> up problem ???????? Thanks for any help anyone can give.?? Thanks, Doug
> Pollard.

I have a couple of older (3 to 4 years old( laptops, and I continuee to
have sound issues on them with the latest LTS. Release. There are some
articles on the cforum that suggest killing and restarting ASLA, this
mostly works for me.

I believe something is grabbing the sound hardware in the boot cycle, and
not releasing it, but I have not been able to further diagnose this due to
the need to actually use these machines for work uses.

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin