Nautilus acts as a front-end... (was: Re: Limit size of .thumbnails folder)

Nautilus acts as a front-end... (was: Re: Limit size of .thumbnails folder)

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On 12/12/05, Sasha Tsykin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The easiest way to limit the size of any folder is to put it in it's own
> partition. Barring that, I don' think there is an option to do so in
> nautilus because nautilus does not control movement to the folder from
> the terminal, it acts just as a graphical front end for such commands as
> "mv" and "cp" and does not is fact have functionality independent of theirs.

Can you really confirm this 'nautilus' thing of using stuff like 'mv' and 'cp'.
That used to be my assumption once, but on checking out the output of
'lsof', 'cp' ain't there at all. In fact, nautilus seems to do the
copying itself. I saw it all using 'lsof'.

Thanks...

Re: Nautilus acts as a front-end... (was: Re: Limit size of .thumbnails folder)

Arlen Cuss
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>On 12/12/05, Sasha Tsykin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>The easiest way to limit the size of any folder is to put it in it's own
>>partition. Barring that, I don' think there is an option to do so in
>>nautilus because nautilus does not control movement to the folder from
>>the terminal, it acts just as a graphical front end for such commands as
>>"mv" and "cp" and does not is fact have functionality independent of theirs.
>>

>Can you really confirm this 'nautilus' thing of using stuff like 'mv' and 'cp'.
>That used to be my assumption once, but on checking out the output of
>'lsof', 'cp' ain't there at all. In fact, nautilus seems to do the
>copying itself. I saw it all using 'lsof'.
>
>Thanks...

Even if it doesn't act as a front end, it's still just dependent on a
setting that nautilus might let you set. Even if it does, it's the same
- it could do the check to see if it's `n' bytes large before attempting
to mv or cp.

Putting it in a partition is a pretty bad workaround - a lot of work.
Quotas might help, somehow, here.

 - Yuki.