Need to resize a cloned hard drive

Billie Walsh
I upgraded my SSD to a larger one with an external cloner. The thing
made the larger hard drive one partition the same size as the old drive.
In Windows when this happens we just go into Disk Management and make
the whole drive the partition. Looking in Kparted there seems to be a
way to do it but it won't stick.

Partition > Resize/Move

Minimum Size 11179 GiB

Maximum Size 465.76 GiB

Down below is Size

I can type in the maximum size and the OK

It doesn't expand he partition to the maximum size entered.

I know I can just create a new partition in the unused area and use it
for storage or whatever but I would really like to have it all one
partition.

Re: Need to resize a cloned hard drive

Billie Walsh
Sorry to be replying to my own message but I forgot to add that when I
click on OK a popup opens that wants to know if I really want to resize
the partition from 111.79 to 111.79.

On 03/29/2018 08:36 AM, Billie Walsh wrote:

> I upgraded my SSD to a larger one with an external cloner. The thing
> made the larger hard drive one partition the same size as the old
> drive. In Windows when this happens we just go into Disk Management
> and make the whole drive the partition. Looking in Kparted there seems
> to be a way to do it but it won't stick.
>
> Partition > Resize/Move
>
> Minimum Size 11179 GiB
>
> Maximum Size 465.76 GiB
>
> Down below is Size
>
> I can type in the maximum size and the OK
>
> It doesn't expand he partition to the maximum size entered.
>
> I know I can just create a new partition in the unused area and use it
> for storage or whatever but I would really like to have it all one
> partition.

Re: Need to resize a cloned hard drive

Bruce Marshall
I haven’t used kparted but usually use gparted and graphically expand the partition.  BTW, good SSD. partitioning says to leave 10% of the drive unallocated but no more than 10GB.

Maybe a screen shot would help.

From: Billie Walsh <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Need to resize a cloned hard drive
Date: 3/29/18 9:44 AM
To: [hidden email]

Sorry to be replying to my own message but I forgot to add that when I
click on OK a popup opens that wants to know if I really want to resize
the partition from 111.79 to 111.79.

On 03/29/2018 08:36 AM, Billie Walsh wrote:

> I upgraded my SSD to a larger one with an external cloner. The thing
> made the larger hard drive one partition the same size as the old
> drive. In Windows when this happens we just go into Disk Management
> and make the whole drive the partition. Looking in Kparted there seems
> to be a way to do it but it won't stick.
>
> Partition > Resize/Move
>
> Minimum Size 11179 GiB
>
> Maximum Size 465.76 GiB
>
> Down below is Size
>
> I can type in the maximum size and the OK
>
> It doesn't expand he partition to the maximum size entered.
>
> I know I can just create a new partition in the unused area and use it
> for storage or whatever but I would really like to have it all one
> partition.

Re: Need to resize a cloned hard drive

Billie Walsh
Thank you.

I figured it out. When I was entering the new data I needed to enter the
last sector. In order to dind that I had to create a partition on the
unallocated section of the drive. Look at the properties and delete the
partition. Then enter the new data.