Netplan has made 3 big problem on this system with Ubuntu 19.10

Netplan has made 3 big problem on this system with Ubuntu 19.10

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hello, I did install Ubuntu 19.10 AMD64 through Net install image with
"Ubuntu minimal" packages group. Netplan has made 3 problems on this
system:

1. It always overwrites network manager configuration via "nm-
connection-editor" or GNOME Settings, for example I have disalbed
"Connect automatically ..." and "All users may connect ..." but Netplan
restores them to the default state.

2. Netplan has added one additional connection to the system named
"netplan-....." while the standard connection "Wired connection" is
presented, and has make "netplan-....." the default connection.

3. To solve above 2 problem, I did remove "netplan.io" package and it
caused the system can't connect to the internet at whole! I tried to
install it again but because it was installed during the net install,
there is no cached packages for it on the system! and I don't know hot
to undo that remove.

I have checked netplan.io with aptitude and it seesms that it is a
dependency for "Ubuntu minimal" but "Ubuntu minimal" is not a
dependency for the standard "Ubuntu desktop", is this correct?

PLEASE HELP and guide me to solve this problem. THANX

Re: Netplan has made 3 big problem on this system with Ubuntu 19.10

ubuntu-users mailing list
$ nmcli connection up id Wired\ connection\ 1

Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this
connection (device lo not available because device is strictly
unmanaged).

# networkctl --all

WARNING: systemd-networkd is not running, output will be incomplete.

and 2 links listed are "unmanaged"

**** netplan/01-netcfg.yaml ****
# For more information, see netplan(5).
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
    enx00113b14b994:
      dhcp4: yes

**** netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml ****
# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager

==========================

Doesn't anyone know what to do after removing the netplan.io packae?!

Fortunately I have Fedora 31 on the another partition so I can easily
manaage NetworkManager and send these messages without having to deal
with FUCKING netplan!!

YOU UBUNTU DEVELOPERS SHOULD SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT YOUR APPROACH IN
*twiddling* EVERYTHING IN THE SYSTEM INCLUDING CHANGING THE OFFICIAL
ICONS AND THEME OF GNOME!

Re: Netplan has made 3 big problem on this system with Ubuntu 19.10

Tom H-4
On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:49 PM Farhad Mohammadi Majd via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> $ nmcli connection up id Wired\ connection\ 1
>
> Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this
> connection (device lo not available because device is strictly
> unmanaged).
>
> # networkctl --all
>
> WARNING: systemd-networkd is not running, output will be incomplete.
>
> and 2 links listed are "unmanaged"
>
> **** netplan/01-netcfg.yaml ****
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # For more information, see netplan(5).
> network:
>   version: 2
>   renderer: networkd
>   ethernets:
>     enx00113b14b994:
>       dhcp4: yes
>
> **** netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml ****
> # Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
> network:
>   version: 2
>   renderer: NetworkManager
>
> ==========================
>
> Doesn't anyone know what to do after removing the netplan.io packae?!
>
> Fortunately I have Fedora 31 on the another partition so I can easily
> manaage NetworkManager and send these messages without having to deal
> with FUCKING netplan!!
>
> YOU UBUNTU DEVELOPERS SHOULD SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT YOUR APPROACH IN
> *twiddling* EVERYTHING IN THE SYSTEM INCLUDING CHANGING THE OFFICIAL
> ICONS AND THEME OF GNOME!

YOU SHOULD LEARN TO USE THE SOFTWARE THAT YOU INSTALL.

Did you enjoy the shouting?

If you don't have "cloud-init" installed and you want to set up NM
without netplan, delete the files under "/etc/netplan" and set up NM
connections whichever way that you prefer, as long as NM started by
systemd.

Re: Netplan has made 3 big problem on this system with Ubuntu 19.10

Rashkae-2
On 2019-11-07 8:07 a.m., Tom H wrote:

> If you don't have "cloud-init" installed and you want to set up NM
> without netplan, delete the files under "/etc/netplan" and set up NM
> connections whichever way that you prefer, as long as NM started by
> systemd.

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple, since Network Manager is
configured by default to ignore Ethernet connections.  I think this is
something inherited by Debian.

There is a proper way to correct this by adding a higher priority
configuration file in /etc

Personally, I've just been deleting
/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 3:46 PM Rashkae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-11-07 8:07 a.m., Tom H wrote:
>>
>> If you don't have "cloud-init" installed and you want to set up NM
>> without netplan, delete the files under "/etc/netplan" and set up
>> NM connections whichever way that you prefer, as long as NM
>> started by systemd.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple, since Network Manager is
> configured by default to ignore Ethernet connections.  I think this
> is something inherited by Debian.
>
> There is a proper way to correct this by adding a higher priority
> configuration file in /etc
>
> Personally, I've just been deleting
> /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf

Wow. Thanks.

If I use NM, it's on laptops that only have wifi.

It's not a Debian config, it's an Ubuntu one that was introduced in 2016.

"/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf"
isn't a conffile so it'll be re-installed without prompting you when
you upgrade NM.

Use "touch /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf"
to override it.

Or use "$EDITOR
/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf" to set up
your own

[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=*,except...