Netplan not detecting MII uplink down on a bonded network interface

Netplan not detecting MII uplink down on a bonded network interface

ubuntu-users mailing list

Hey guys,

Dealing with a weired issue where netplan is not detecting the uplink going down for one of it's primary slave and not selecting the other slave. I also tried setting up all parameters of mii-monitor-interval but that doesn't seems to be working either.

root@core2:~# lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Release: 18.04

Codename: bionic

root@core2:~# uname -a

Linux core2 4.15.0-121-generic #123-Ubuntu SMP Mon Oct 5 16:16:40 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@core2:~# dpkg -l | grep netplan

ii netplan.io0.98-0ubuntu1~18.04.1 amd64 YAML network configuration abstraction for various backends

root@core2:~#

Config file ->

network:

version: 2

renderer: networkd

ethernets:

enp6s0f0:

dhcp4: no

enp6s0f1:

dhcp4: no

bonds:

bond0:

addresses:

- 10.10.10.250/24

gateway4: 10.10.10.1

nameservers:

addresses: [8.8.8.8]

interfaces:

- enp6s0f0

- enp6s0f1

parameters:

mode: active-backup

primary: enp6s0f0

mii-monitor-interval: 10s

min-links: 1

down-delay: 50

Interesting issue is that event after setting mii-monitor-interval value to 10s, it's not updating on bond interface. It's shows 0ms and that means netplan is not monitoring the mii uplink.

root@core2:~# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0

Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.7.1 (April 27, 2011)

Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup)

Primary Slave: enp6s0f0 (primary_reselect always)

Currently Active Slave: enp6s0f0

MII Status: up

MII Polling Interval (ms): 0

Up Delay (ms): 0

Down Delay (ms): 0

Slave Interface: enp6s0f1

MII Status: up

Speed: 1000 Mbps

Duplex: full

Link Failure Count: 0

Permanent HW addr: 00:1b:21:3e:3f:29

Slave queue ID: 0

Slave Interface: enp6s0f0

MII Status: up

Speed: 1000 Mbps

Duplex: full

Link Failure Count: 0

Permanent HW addr: 00:1b:21:3e:3f:28

Slave queue ID: 0

root@core2:~#

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Netplan not detecting MII uplink down on a bonded network interface

Tom H-4
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM Sharad Kumar via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dealing with a weired issue where netplan is not detecting the uplink
> going down for one of it's primary slave and not selecting the other
> slave. I also tried setting up all parameters of mii-monitor-interval
> but that doesn't seems to be working either.
>
> network:
> version: 2
> renderer: networkd
> ethernets:
> enp6s0f0:
> dhcp4: no
> enp6s0f1:
> dhcp4: no
> bonds:
> bond0:
> addresses:
> - 10.10.10.250/24
> gateway4: 10.10.10.1
> nameservers:
> addresses: [8.8.8.8]
> interfaces:
> - enp6s0f0
> - enp6s0f1
> parameters:
> mode: active-backup
> primary: enp6s0f0
> mii-monitor-interval: 10s
> min-links: 1
> down-delay: 50

Please send plain-text emails to the list.

"down-delay: 50" is understood as "down-delay: 50ms", which doesn't
play well with "mii-monitor-interval: 10s".

Do you mean "down-delay: 50s"?