Network manager and split DNS for a VPN?

Re: Network manager and split DNS for a VPN?

Tom H-4
On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     chris$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>     # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
>     resolvconf(8)
>     #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
>     nameserver 127.0.1.1
>     search zbmc.eu
>
>     chris@raspberrypi:~$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>     cat: /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf: No such file or directory

Oops. I was sure that I'd been able to "cat" a file in "/run/" to get
the upstream servers that dnsmasq was using. Maybe I was
misremembering or maybe I'd customized the dnsmasq and/or resolvconf
configuration. Sorry!

If you're using dnsmasq as opposed to dnsmasq-base, you'd have to set
it up via "/etc/dnsmasq.conf" and you could then grep it for
"^server=" to get the upstream server(s).

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Green schreef op 13-04-2017 10:19:
>>
>> On my systems running the 'dnsmasq plugin' from NM I see:-
>>
>>     chris$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>>     # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
>>     resolvconf(8)
>>     #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE
>> OVERWRITTEN
>>     nameserver 127.0.1.1
>>     search zbmc.eu
>>
>>     chris@raspberrypi:~$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>>     cat: /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
>>     chris@raspberrypi:~$
>
> dnsmasq just lacks a proper querying method for all I'm concerned. At least
> the versions I am familiar with are capable of e.g. writing a file with DHCP
> lease contents, but actually having a user frontend, no.
>
> Apparently that channel exists in the form of dbus. But it shouldn't be so
> hard to have a form of "dnsmasq -q" command that would just query the
> contents of its database.

If dnsmasq is spawned by NM, "nmcli" is the tool to query dnsmasq, LOL.

If you're using dnsmasq, as opposed to NM and dnsmasq-base, you can
check "/etc/dnsmasq.conf" (or the output of ps if you're using
command-line options directly).