Network printer error

Brandon Butler
Dear Sir/Madam

It is a pleasure to meet you and I hope you are doing well.

My computer runs Ubuntu 20.04.1 and I experience an error in CUPS
regarding being unable to resolve the IP address belonging to the
network printer which uses the default drivers from when Ubuntu
automatically detected and added that network printer after
installation. The printer model concerned is an EPSON WorkForce
WF-3640 and is connected via Ethernet and assigned a static IP address
in the printer's firmware settings and the router's DHCP allocation
configuration.

The error concerned only occurs when my computer remains suspended for
multiple days and that is resolved by restarting my computer which
will reconnect to the network printer and attempt to complete all
queued jobs during the next start or logging in and retrying the job
if the queue is cleared in advance.

I appreciate any responses to my enquiry.

Kind regards

Brandon Butler

Re: Network printer error

Colin Law
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 01:38, Brandon Butler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> It is a pleasure to meet you and I hope you are doing well.
>
> My computer runs Ubuntu 20.04.1 and I experience an error in CUPS
> regarding being unable to resolve the IP address belonging to the
> network printer which uses the default drivers from when Ubuntu
> automatically detected and added that network printer after
> installation. The printer model concerned is an EPSON WorkForce
> WF-3640 and is connected via Ethernet and assigned a static IP address
> in the printer's firmware settings and the router's DHCP allocation
> configuration.

First see if you can ping that address when the printer is operating
normally.  I would expect that the printer should respond to ping.
Assuming you can then try the ping again when the printer is not
accessible.  If you can't then it is not to do with the printer driver
but is a network problem or a problem with the printer.
Are you able to access other devices on the network when the printer
is not accessible?
Also, if you have another device on the network, try pinging the
printer from that device.
If you have other devices are you able to print from them when this
machine will not print.

Colin