New 5.10 install

squareyes-2
Hi all,
just installed Ubuntu 5.10 as a fresh install.
I wrote everything to CD I could think of, from Hoary, but
managed to omit the pearls of wisdom I have been noting
from the emails on the list. I have a few questions,

With Hoary there was a "run" app in the applications list,
can't find it on 5.10 I used it to run apps that did not appear
in the menu's. Can run them from terminal, just a bit lazy :-)

Sound isn't working with totem-zine, get the background sound when
booting up, but nothing with totem. Have tried sudo killall esd no
success. Checked Volume Control (Alsa Mixer) nothing muted.

Could anyone let me know which repository win32codecs are in?
Otherwise 5.10 is impressive.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Take Care
Winton

My /etc/apt/sources.list

 deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release i386 (20051012)]/
breezy main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the
network
 deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch major bug fix updates
produced
## after the final release of the distribution.
 deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
 deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main
restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
security
## team.
deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe main restricted
multiverse
deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the
'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it
includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful
features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any
review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
#deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
#deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main
restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe

Re: New 5.10 install

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On di, 2005-11-08 at 22:03 +1030, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> just installed Ubuntu 5.10 as a fresh install.

Why didn't you simply dist-upgrade?

> With Hoary there was a "run" app in the applications list,
> can't find it on 5.10 I used it to run apps that did not appear
> in the menu's. Can run them from terminal, just a bit lazy :-)

It has been removed

> Sound isn't working with totem-zine, get the background sound when
> booting up, but nothing with totem. Have tried sudo killall esd no
> success. Checked Volume Control (Alsa Mixer) nothing muted.

Make sure the default audio sink is esound/esd in system -> prefs ->
multimedia systems selector

> Could anyone let me know which repository win32codecs are in?

marillat and seveas.ubuntulinux.nl have them
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Re: New 5.10 install

Inhabitant of Zion

> Could anyone let me know which repository win32codecs are in?

Add the following to your sources.list file.

deb ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/packages/ubuntu breezy main

Cheers

--
  John Willby Registered Linux user number 321644
  ICQ: 92791912  MSN: [hidden email]

Re: New 5.10 install

Norman Silverstone-2

> With Hoary there was a "run" app in the applications list,
> can't find it on 5.10 I used it to run apps that did not appear
> in the menu's. Can run them from terminal, just a bit lazy :-)

Right click on top panel and add the 'Run Application'.

Norman

Re: New 5.10 install

squareyes-2
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 12:39 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On di, 2005-11-08 at 22:03 +1030, squareyes wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > just installed Ubuntu 5.10 as a fresh install.
>
> Why didn't you simply dist-upgrade?

Am on dialup. seemed to have used more drive space than it should have,
so wanted to give it a good cleanout:-)

> > Sound isn't working with totem-zine, get the background sound when
> > booting up, but nothing with totem. Have tried sudo killall esd no
> > success. Checked Volume Control (Alsa Mixer) nothing muted.
>
> Make sure the default audio sink is esound/esd in system -> prefs ->
> multimedia systems selector

Audio Default Sink is ESD - Enlightenment Sound Daemon, Pipeline
esdsink, Test shows Error failed to construct test pipeline for "ESD
Enlightenment Sound Daemon

Thanks again
Take Care
Winton

Re: New 5.10 install

squareyes-2
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:45 +1030, squareyes wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 12:39 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> > On di, 2005-11-08 at 22:03 +1030, squareyes wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > just installed Ubuntu 5.10 as a fresh install.
> >
> > Why didn't you simply dist-upgrade?
>
> Am on dialup. seemed to have used more drive space than it should have,
> so wanted to give it a good cleanout:-)
> >

> > > Sound isn't working with totem-zine, get the background sound when
> > > booting up, but nothing with totem. Have tried sudo killall esd no
> > > success. Checked Volume Control (Alsa Mixer) nothing muted.
> >
> > Make sure the default audio sink is esound/esd in system -> prefs ->
> > multimedia systems selector
>
> Audio Default Sink is ESD - Enlightenment Sound Daemon, Pipeline
> esdsink, Test shows Error failed to construct test pipeline for "ESD
> Enlightenment Sound Daemon
>
> Thanks again
> Take Care
> Winton

Sorry forgot to mention tests with sound with ALSA and OSS
Winton

Re: New 5.10 install

neil woolford
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 12:39 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On di, 2005-11-08 at 22:03 +1030, squareyes wrote:
>
> > With Hoary there was a "run" app in the applications list,
> > can't find it on 5.10 I used it to run apps that did not appear
> > in the menu's. Can run them from terminal, just a bit lazy :-)
>
> It has been removed

Alt+F2 brings up a little run application popup.  Or you could try
installing the command line panel applet, which I'd not be without.
(Right click a panel, 'Add to Panel' etc.)

Neil

Re: New 5.10 install

Christian Riedel

Am 08.11.2005 12:33, squareyes schrieb:

> With Hoary there was a "run" app in the applications list,
> can't find it on 5.10 I used it to run apps that did not appear
> in the menu's. Can run them from terminal, just a bit lazy :-)

Just try ALT + F2

works for me

HTH

        Christian

--
To reply to this posting directly use the following address and
remove the 'NO-SPAM' part: [hidden email]

Re: New 5.10 install

squareyes-2
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 16:29 +0000, neil woolford wrote:

> > On di, 2005-11-08 at 22:03 +1030, squareyes wrote:
> >
> > > With Hoary there was a "run" app in the applications list,
> > > can't find it on 5.10 I used it to run apps that did not appear
> > > in the menu's. Can run them from terminal, just a bit lazy :-)
> >

> Alt+F2 brings up a little run application popup.  Or you could try
> installing the command line panel applet, which I'd not be without.
> (Right click a panel, 'Add to Panel' etc.)
>
> Neil
Hi,
thanks for that Neil,
just what the doctor ordered.