New Keyboard Shortcuts for Xubuntu

Sean Davis
Hello everyone!

During today's Xubuntu community meeting, we discussed the potential of shipping some new keyboard shortcuts in Xubuntu. I proposed the following shortcuts found in other DEs and OSes.

Super+D: Show Desktop
Super+L: Lock Screen

Spass also recommended Super+Space to display the applications menu. This one is found in elementary OS, and possibly other desktops as well.

Team, what do you think? Should we proceed with adding the first two shortcuts? Super+Space? Others? Discuss it here.

Sean Davis (bluesabre)
Xubuntu Technical Lead

Re: New Keyboard Shortcuts for Xubuntu

Pasi Lallinaho-3
On 15.6.2019 4.11, Sean Davis wrote:
Hello everyone!

During today's Xubuntu community meeting, we discussed the potential of shipping some new keyboard shortcuts in Xubuntu. I proposed the following shortcuts found in other DEs and OSes.

Super+D: Show Desktop
Super+L: Lock Screen

As I mentioned, I think these are sane and should be added.

Spass also recommended Super+Space to display the applications menu. This one is found in elementary OS, and possibly other desktops as well.

I've heard many people say the ideal situation would be to bind just the Super key to the menu, but unfortunately this is not possible tecnically (at least at the moment). This leads us to the question: do we add the Super+Space combo just to have "something" to open the menu and end up with a suboptimal combo – potentially leading to frustration?

Team, what do you think? Should we proceed with adding the first two shortcuts? Super+Space? Others? Discuss it here.

Sean Davis (bluesabre)
Xubuntu Technical Lead

Cheers,
Pasi
--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)         › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead           › https://xubuntu.org/

RE: New Keyboard Shortcuts for Xubuntu

Dave Pearson

The first two, I totally agree with, they are sensible and I would use.

The super + space I think personally  is a bit clumsy.

Dave

Re: New Keyboard Shortcuts for Xubuntu

Sean Davis

Since Super+D and Super+L seem to be generally well-received and unobtrusive, we'll go forward with adding these shortcuts.

Thanks everybody for your feedback!