New PPA for Backports + Qt

Erich Eickmeyer-2
Hi all,

Many of you already know me. I've been working on Ubuntu Studio for the past 3
years, basically bringing it back from the dead and moving it to Plasma. Since
then, I have become a MOTU and part of the Ubuntu Community Council.

Back in July I appeared on Big Daddy Linux Live to talk about Ubuntu Studio
and answer any questions. This attracted the attention of Mike Mikowski of
MindShareManagement, the company creating the Kubuntu Focus computers. Back in
November, he brought me on to the project, and I am now the Director of User
Experience and Packaging as my day job. I also get the privilege of working
with Rick Timmis, one of the Kubuntu Counselors.

One thing we had been noticing is that Rik Mills is tackling most of the
maintenance work by himself, and that the Backports repository can no longer
carry the latest Plasma as it could historically since it requires a newer Qt.
Having found a solution, I approached Rik about this, and we decided it might
be best to create a new PPA for those adventurous enough to have a newer Qt
and, therefore, Plasma. Basically, I'd be paid to do this as part of my job.

Additionally, I want to help out in whatever way I can, since helping Kubuntu
also helps Ubuntu Studio.

In order to do this, I respectfully request to join these teams:
~kubuntu-ninjas
~kubuntu-dev
~kubuntu-ppa

My launchpad name is ~eeickmeyer

Rik and I also discussed perhaps creating a new team to deal with this highly-
adventurous endeavour. We plan to discuss this on Saturday the 27th.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
Erich
--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader, Ubuntu Studio

Re: New PPA for Backports + Qt

Martin van Es
On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 6:07 PM Erich Eickmeyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Having found a solution, I approached Rik about this, and we decided it might
be best to create a new PPA for those adventurous enough to have a newer Qt
and, therefore, Plasma.

That's great news!
Have been disappointed by the lack of recent Plasma backports due to the Qt upgrade, eager to add the PPA to my list of repo's and test!

Best regards,
Martin

Re: New PPA for Backports + Qt

Paulo Dias
Hi Erich,

Great initiative.
If you need an extra pair of hands for package creation / testing, count me in.

Let me know how we can start working together.
best regards

| Paulo Dias
| [hidden email]

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.