New Page in Ubuntu Help on How to Quit A Hung Application

New Page in Ubuntu Help on How to Quit A Hung Application

Vincent Alexander
Dear Ubuntu Documentation Team,

I think that it would be a good idea to add a new page to the Ubuntu
Desktop Documentation, possibly under the "Tips & Tricks" section,
detailing how to quit a hung or frozen application. I am aware that the
manual for the System Monitor already details how to do this... but I don't
think that a new user may even know that the System Monitor application
exists - much less that it is the proper tool for the job they want to do
(quit a frozen or hung application).

This new page could be titled "Quitting a hung or frozen application" and
contain a link to the proper help page under System Monitor. Sample text
could be something like this: "On the rare occasion that an application on
your Ubuntu system becomes hung or frozen, you may need to force it to
quit. The 'System Monitor' (this text would be a link to the help page for
System Monitor) application may be used to quit applications that have
become unresponsive and thus cannot be closed using the usual method."

Sincerely,

Vincent H. Alexander

Re: New Page in Ubuntu Help on How to Quit A Hung Application

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your suggestion.

On 2019-06-15 19:33, Vincent Alexander wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Documentation Team,
>
> I think that it would be a good idea to add a new page to the Ubuntu
> Desktop Documentation, possibly under the "Tips & Tricks" section,
> detailing how to quit a hung or frozen application. I am aware that
> the manual for the System Monitor already details how to do this...
> but I don't think that a new user may even know that the System
> Monitor application exists - much less that it is the proper tool for
> the job they want to do (quit a frozen or hung application).

Hmm.. For me, when an application hangs, the whole desktop usually
freezes. In those cases it's not possible to just kill the process.

> This new page could be titled "Quitting a hung or frozen application"
> and contain a link to the proper help page under System Monitor.
> Sample text could be something like this: "On the rare occasion that
> an application on your Ubuntu system becomes hung or frozen, you may
> need to force it to quit. The 'System Monitor' (this text would be a
> link to the help page for System Monitor) application may be used to
> quit applications that have become unresponsive and thus cannot be
> closed using the usual method."

Nowadays, when the Ubuntu desktop uses the GNOME shell, most of Ubuntu
Help actually consists of the upstream GNOME Help. More specifically
Ubuntu Help is made up of these three packages:

- gnome-user-docs
- gnome-getting-started-docs
- ubuntu-docs

The latter, which the Ubuntu documentation team maintains, can be seen
as a 'plugin' which adds some pages and replaces a few gnome-user-docs
pages to make them fit Ubuntu better. The "Tips & tricks" section is
100% from gnome-user-docs.

So I would suggest that you post your idea to the gnome-user-docs
maintainers:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-user-docs/issues

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: New Page in Ubuntu Help on How to Quit A Hung Application

Tom Davies
Hi :)
I get this problem quite frequently but only when using Firefox. I've not
tried Chrome or other web-browser.  Killing Firefox frees up the rest of
the desktop.  So i keep a terminal console open and usually have an ssh
session from a tablet.  On those command-lines i try to have;

pkill firefox

already ready so i only need to press enter in order to kill firefox.

A few releases before Unity there used to be a cross-hair icon on the
panel/taskbar and clicking on it make the mouse arrow into a gun-sight.
Then clicking on any open window killed that app/program/document.  It was
kinda fun to use even when not really needed.

Regards from a Tom :)

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 00:01, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> On 2019-06-15 19:33, Vincent Alexander wrote:
> > Dear Ubuntu Documentation Team,
> >
> > I think that it would be a good idea to add a new page to the Ubuntu
> > Desktop Documentation, possibly under the "Tips & Tricks" section,
> > detailing how to quit a hung or frozen application. I am aware that
> > the manual for the System Monitor already details how to do this...
> > but I don't think that a new user may even know that the System
> > Monitor application exists - much less that it is the proper tool for
> > the job they want to do (quit a frozen or hung application).
>
> Hmm.. For me, when an application hangs, the whole desktop usually
> freezes. In those cases it's not possible to just kill the process.
>
> > This new page could be titled "Quitting a hung or frozen application"
> > and contain a link to the proper help page under System Monitor.
> > Sample text could be something like this: "On the rare occasion that
> > an application on your Ubuntu system becomes hung or frozen, you may
> > need to force it to quit. The 'System Monitor' (this text would be a
> > link to the help page for System Monitor) application may be used to
> > quit applications that have become unresponsive and thus cannot be
> > closed using the usual method."
>
> Nowadays, when the Ubuntu desktop uses the GNOME shell, most of Ubuntu
> Help actually consists of the upstream GNOME Help. More specifically
> Ubuntu Help is made up of these three packages:
>
> - gnome-user-docs
> - gnome-getting-started-docs
> - ubuntu-docs
>
> The latter, which the Ubuntu documentation team maintains, can be seen
> as a 'plugin' which adds some pages and replaces a few gnome-user-docs
> pages to make them fit Ubuntu better. The "Tips & tricks" section is
> 100% from gnome-user-docs.
>
> So I would suggest that you post your idea to the gnome-user-docs
> maintainers:
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-user-docs/issues
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: New Page in Ubuntu Help on How to Quit A Hung Application

Little Girl
Hey there,

Tom Davies wrote:

>A few releases before Unity there used to be a cross-hair icon on the
>panel/taskbar and clicking on it make the mouse arrow into a
>gun-sight. Then clicking on any open window killed that
>app/program/document.  It was kinda fun to use even when not really
>needed.

I like that one, too. You're looking for the xkill command. I either
use it by typing it into the command line or, sometimes, I turn it
into a shortcut that lives in my taskbar so I can click it at any
time to kill misbehaving windows.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.