New Ubuntu community hub and Xubuntu

Pasi Lallinaho-3
Hello people (CC: Alan Pope),

a new Ubuntu community hub [1] has been launched [2]. Flavors are not
listed (yet), but after a quick talk with Alan, he promised us we could
get involved pretty much any way we want, as long as allowed by the
software – Discourse.

My gut feeling was that flavors – or at least we – would likely want a
separate category (possibly one main category for flavors, then a
subcategory for each opt-in flavor) rather than sending our stuff to the
generic categories.

My questions for you are:
– Where would you like to see Xubuntu appear in the community hub, if
anywhere?
– What kind of content do you think we should be submitting there?

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://community.ubuntu.com/
[2] https://popey.com/blog/posts/new-ubuntu-community-hub-launched.html

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                    › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead & Council Member     › https://xubuntu.org/

Re: New Ubuntu community hub and Xubuntu

flocculant
On 04/10/17 11:41, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

> Hello people (CC: Alan Pope),
>
> a new Ubuntu community hub [1] has been launched [2]. Flavors are not
> listed (yet), but after a quick talk with Alan, he promised us we
> could get involved pretty much any way we want, as long as allowed by
> the software – Discourse.
>
> My gut feeling was that flavors – or at least we – would likely want a
> separate category (possibly one main category for flavors, then a
> subcategory for each opt-in flavor) rather than sending our stuff to
> the generic categories.
>
> My questions for you are:
> – Where would you like to see Xubuntu appear in the community hub, if
> anywhere?
> – What kind of content do you think we should be submitting there?
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi
>
> [1] https://community.ubuntu.com/
> [2] https://popey.com/blog/posts/new-ubuntu-community-hub-launched.html

I'd guess that if we bothered then we should discuss with the other
flavours what the general 'flavour' consensus is outside of Ubuntu. If
there were categories for each I suspect that 'Ubuntu' won't like as it
would be too cluttered ...

As far as what content - can't really see the point given we've got
x.org/google/fb/twitter - what would 'you' envisage being here and not
in other places?

Cheers,

Kev

Re: New Ubuntu community hub and Xubuntu

Sean Davis

What level of moderation is available here? Would we use this primarily as a bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop? Sorry if some of this is obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the past and don't know how much of this is structured.

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017, 7:10 AM flocculant <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/10/17 11:41, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> Hello people (CC: Alan Pope),
>
> a new Ubuntu community hub [1] has been launched [2]. Flavors are not
> listed (yet), but after a quick talk with Alan, he promised us we
> could get involved pretty much any way we want, as long as allowed by
> the software – Discourse.
>
> My gut feeling was that flavors – or at least we – would likely want a
> separate category (possibly one main category for flavors, then a
> subcategory for each opt-in flavor) rather than sending our stuff to
> the generic categories.
>
> My questions for you are:
> – Where would you like to see Xubuntu appear in the community hub, if
> anywhere?
> – What kind of content do you think we should be submitting there?
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi
>
> [1] https://community.ubuntu.com/
> [2] https://popey.com/blog/posts/new-ubuntu-community-hub-launched.html

I'd guess that if we bothered then we should discuss with the other
flavours what the general 'flavour' consensus is outside of Ubuntu. If
there were categories for each I suspect that 'Ubuntu' won't like as it
would be too cluttered ...

As far as what content - can't really see the point given we've got
x.org/google/fb/twitter - what would 'you' envisage being here and not
in other places?

Cheers,

Kev

Re: New Ubuntu community hub and Xubuntu

Alan Pope-4
On 4 October 2017 at 13:08, Sean Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What level of moderation is available here?

Most of the site is auto-moderated by people who frequent the site.
It's possible to set specific people as moderators though.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-moderation-guide/63116 has more details.

> Would we use this primarily as a
> bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop? Sorry if some of this is
> obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the past and don't know how much of
> this is structured.

So the two main goals of the ubuntu community hub are to improve
community communication and ease new contributors into the community.

It's not designed to be a general user-discussion site, like Ubuntu
Forums. The target audience is people who actually want to get
involved. That can be from ISO testing, to packaging to translations
and advocacy. We discourage technical support, because that's served
well elsewhere (askubuntu / irc / forums).

So I'd imagine if you wanted you could use it for open discussion of
upcoming features in Xubuntu, package selection, calls for testing,
announcements. Anything you might currently use irc or mailing lists
for. Those conversations are often buried in a mailman archive or
irclog somewhere, and not exposed where people who want to get
involved can find. I appreciate many people are very wedded to the
existing tools like irc/mail but if we want to expose more of what's
going on and welcome new people, it can be a bit abrasive in 2017 to
use those 'legacy' communication methods. :)

That said, if you guys already have tools you use and you're happy
with, there's no obligation or pressure from me to move everything to
the community hub. I think it would be great if you did, of course,
because it makes discovery easier, but no pressure :)

Alan Pope
Community Advocate

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
[hidden email]
http://ubuntu.com/

On 04/10/17 13:08, Sean Davis wrote:

What level of moderation is available here? Would we use this primarily as a bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop? Sorry if some of this is obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the past and don't know how much of this is structured.

iirc - you can moderate - but that would mean one of us being a moderator - for obvious reasons you can count me out of that :p

Basically it's much like the way askubuntu works - thread and people can comment on that.

Not sure how we could get feedback other than one of us doing that by reading stuff.

hth

On 2017-10-04 14:09, flocculant wrote:

> On 04/10/17 11:41, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>> Hello people (CC: Alan Pope),
>>
>> a new Ubuntu community hub [1] has been launched [2]. Flavors are not
>> listed (yet), but after a quick talk with Alan, he promised us we
>> could get involved pretty much any way we want, as long as allowed by
>> the software – Discourse.
>>
>> My gut feeling was that flavors – or at least we – would likely want
>> a separate category (possibly one main category for flavors, then a
>> subcategory for each opt-in flavor) rather than sending our stuff to
>> the generic categories.
>>
>> My questions for you are:
>> – Where would you like to see Xubuntu appear in the community hub, if
>> anywhere?
>> – What kind of content do you think we should be submitting there?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pasi
>>
>> [1] https://community.ubuntu.com/
>> [2] https://popey.com/blog/posts/new-ubuntu-community-hub-launched.html
>>
> I'd guess that if we bothered then we should discuss with the other
> flavours what the general 'flavour' consensus is outside of Ubuntu. If
> there were categories for each I suspect that 'Ubuntu' won't like as
> it would be too cluttered ...
>
> As far as what content - can't really see the point given we've got
> x.org/google/fb/twitter - what would 'you' envisage being here and not
> in other places?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kev

Personally I'd consider this one more outlet for our testing calls etc.
– or in other words, mostly the same content as other outlets. I was
just wondering if anybody had any new ideas. Ultimately we can then take
those ideas for all of our social media as we see fit.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                    › http://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead & Council member     › http://xubuntu.org/
Ubuntu member

Re: New Ubuntu community hub and Xubuntu

dave@reklan.co.uk

Good Idea,

If it can be used to try and bring in new blood and additional testers..

its got to be worth a try...

sometimes. irc and mailing lists aren't always an easy option for people to get to grips with in the early stages of getting involved with communities.

Dave

On 04/10/17 13:27, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 4 October 2017 at 13:08, Sean Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What level of moderation is available here?
> Most of the site is auto-moderated by people who frequent the site.
> It's possible to set specific people as moderators though.
>
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-moderation-guide/63116 has more details.

Had a quick look at that - seems fairly simple. Though it also appears
that there should be moderators to deal with flags set by users? I
assume that at least you (Alan) are one?

>> Would we use this primarily as a
>> bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop? Sorry if some of this is
>> obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the past and don't know how much of
>> this is structured.
>>
> So the two main goals of the ubuntu community hub are to improve
> community communication and ease new contributors into the community.
>
> It's not designed to be a general user-discussion site, like Ubuntu
> Forums. The target audience is people who actually want to get
> involved. That can be from ISO testing, to packaging to translations
> and advocacy. We discourage technical support, because that's served
> well elsewhere (askubuntu / irc / forums).
>
> So I'd imagine if you wanted you could use it for open discussion of
> upcoming features in Xubuntu, package selection, calls for testing,
> announcements. Anything you might currently use irc or mailing lists
> for. Those conversations are often buried in a mailman archive or
> irclog somewhere, and not exposed where people who want to get
> involved can find. I appreciate many people are very wedded to the
> existing tools like irc/mail but if we want to expose more of what's
> going on and welcome new people, it can be a bit abrasive in 2017 to
> use those 'legacy' communication methods. :)
>
> That said, if you guys already have tools you use and you're happy
> with, there's no obligation or pressure from me to move everything to
> the community hub. I think it would be great if you did, of course,
> because it makes discovery easier, but no pressure :)
That all makes sense - and if by using it we are inclusive to a new
group of people - all the better.

I'm still of the opinion (from 4th) that if there should be a seperation
of 'flavours' from Ubuntu there. And perhaps a discussion with other
flavours as to how to go about that. eg Xubuntu/Kubuntu et all nested
inside a main Flavours section - if there was a main section for each of
the official flavours - going to get long on the front page
> Cheers,

Kev

Re: New Ubuntu community hub and Xubuntu

Alan Pope-4
Hiya,

On 5 October 2017 at 12:25, flocculant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Had a quick look at that - seems fairly simple. Though it also appears that
> there should be moderators to deal with flags set by users? I assume that at
> least you (Alan) are one?

Discourse is mostly self-moderating, but yeah, I'm a site admin along
with my colleague Martin Wimpress (who recently got elected to the
Community Council). Happy to add leaders in the Xubuntu community as
mods, as you've earned it.

> I'm still of the opinion (from 4th) that if there should be a seperation of
> 'flavours' from Ubuntu there. And perhaps a discussion with other flavours
> as to how to go about that. eg Xubuntu/Kubuntu et all nested inside a main
> Flavours section - if there was a main section for each of the official
> flavours - going to get long on the front page

Happy to create those once you're ready to start posting content. I've
got a pipeline of Ubuntu related stuff lined up. I don't want to flood
the place with stuff this week, but drip some of it out. Also, some is
time sensitive / time critical so it makes sense to hold back. Maybe
you could plan some posts leading up to the 17.10 release. I'm
reluctant to have an empty category sat there waiting for content, but
happy to create it as and when you're ready - as I kinda sprung this
on you :)

On 05/10/17 13:05, Alan Pope wrote:

> Hiya,
> Happy to create those once you're ready to start posting content. I've
> got a pipeline of Ubuntu related stuff lined up. I don't want to flood
> the place with stuff this week, but drip some of it out. Also, some is
> time sensitive / time critical so it makes sense to hold back. Maybe
> you could plan some posts leading up to the 17.10 release. I'm
> reluctant to have an empty category sat there waiting for content, but
> happy to create it as and when you're ready - as I kinda sprung this
> on you :)
>
> Cheers,

If we jump this way a bit - it's likely to be pre-RC for arty artichoke.
At least that's the first time I could possibly see any use for it (with
Xubuntu QA hat)

cheers