New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Bryce Harrington-5
We are introducing new 'experimental' driver packages for NVIDIA, which
will be available via the Additional Hardware Drivers setup tool for
12.04 user (and 12.10 too).  These packages will provide NVIDIA's beta
drivers, which are required for certain commercial games.

There is an nvidia-experimental-304 package which isn't really a beta
driver, just what we've been using for testing.  The first real beta
package will be nvidia-experimental-310; it should be coming some time
later this month.

For Intel, there will be a PPA upgrade available for 12.04 gamers.

For more details, see my blog:
  http://www.bryceharrington.org/wordpress/?p=91

Bryce

Re: New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

a.grandi@gmail.com
Hi,

On 12 October 2012 01:12, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are introducing new 'experimental' driver packages for NVIDIA, which
> will be available via the Additional Hardware Drivers setup tool for
> 12.04 user (and 12.10 too).  These packages will provide NVIDIA's beta
> drivers, which are required for certain commercial games.
>
> There is an nvidia-experimental-304 package which isn't really a beta

Nvidia 304.x driver is required not only for gamers, but also for
people having new video cards (it's my case).

I've a Nvidia GT 640 and it's not supported by default on 12.04.
I had to use a PPA repository to install the 304.x driver so I was
able to use this video card.

I think it should be upgraded in the LTS too, not only in a PPA.

Andrea Grandi -  Software Engineer / Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi
website: http://www.andreagrandi.it

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 01:20:11AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12 October 2012 01:12, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We are introducing new 'experimental' driver packages for NVIDIA, which
> > will be available via the Additional Hardware Drivers setup tool for
> > 12.04 user (and 12.10 too).  These packages will provide NVIDIA's beta
> > drivers, which are required for certain commercial games.
> >
> > There is an nvidia-experimental-304 package which isn't really a beta
>
> Nvidia 304.x driver is required not only for gamers, but also for
> people having new video cards (it's my case).
>
> I've a Nvidia GT 640 and it's not supported by default on 12.04.
> I had to use a PPA repository to install the 304.x driver so I was
> able to use this video card.
>
> I think it should be upgraded in the LTS too, not only in a PPA.

Already done.  :-) Use the nvidia-current-updates package, which tracks
the latest stable nvidia driver, and currently is providing 304.43.

Bryce

Re: [ubuntu-x] New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Michael Wisheu
Hi Bryce,

How about updating it to 304.51? This is mainly a bugfix release and I would recommend it over 304.43.

Best,

Michael

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:18:07AM +0200, Michael Wisheu wrote:
> Hi Bryce,
>
> How about updating it to 304.51? This is mainly a bugfix release and I
> would recommend it over 304.43.
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-304.51-driver

We actually have looked at that, but we found there's a bug[1] with
304.51 and Unity when the launcher is set to auto-hide (it never
reveals).  This was found by testers of the development release, and we
reverted nvidia-current back to 304.43 as a result.

This is a particular problem for quantal because Unity is enabling
autohide by default, so the bug affects people by default and thus is
quite severe.  For precise, Unity does not auto hide by default, so that
makes it less severe; however precise is also an LTS so stability is
all the more important and known regressions in even non-default
functionality are still worth close scrutiny.

For quantal, we'll be shipping 304.43 as the nvidia-current version.
It's quite stable and received a huge amount of testing, so I think it's
a safe choice.

In quantal, we are including 304.51 as the nvidia-current-updates
version.  It does include some worthwhile bug fixes; still, this is a
bit risky: If precise users have -updates enabled and then upgrade to
quantal, then unity will break for them.  Yet at least there are paths
to work around the bug (by going back to nvidia-current).

I've notified NVIDIA about this bug, and they've confirmed it and are
working on a fix.  So we'll have it out in quantal's
nvidia-current-updates once it becomes available and passes testing.

For precise, it probably makes sense to just skip inclusion of 304.51
for nvidia-current-updates, and wait for the fix.  SRU policy applies
here, and that tends to strongly avoid updating things if there are
known regressions such as we have in this case.

But, many precise users probably don't use Unity's autohide feature and
would like 304.51 to fix other bugs, and don't want to wait for the next
update.  We are shipping it in the x-updates PPA[2], and would encourage
these users to install from there.

Bryce

1:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/1057000
2:  https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

Re: [ubuntu-x] New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Michael Wisheu
Hi Byrce,

Thanks for the great explanation and I agree that it makes sense this way.
Please note that we've seen another bug with 304.43 and later (but might affect also earlier 304.x driver versions) on Precise that cause X server crashes under certain circumstances.
The circumstances are:
* Multi-monitor setup
* At least one screen is in portrait orientation
* X server crashes once monitors should leave standby
* Disabling DPMS prevents the X server crashes

NVIDIA has confirmed this issue last week and they are working on a fix. They are tracking the issue under number 1060346. There is no Launchpad bug for this issue.

Best,

Michael

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:14:30AM +0200, Michael Wisheu wrote:

> Hi Byrce,
>
> Thanks for the great explanation and I agree that it makes sense this way.
> Please note that we've seen another bug with 304.43 and later (but might
> affect also earlier 304.x driver versions) on Precise that cause X server
> crashes under certain circumstances.
> The circumstances are:
> * Multi-monitor setup
> * At least one screen is in portrait orientation
> * X server crashes once monitors should leave standby
> * Disabling DPMS prevents the X server crashes
>
> NVIDIA has confirmed this issue last week and they are working on a fix.
> They are tracking the issue under number 1060346. There is no Launchpad bug
> for this issue.

Thanks for letting me know about this Michael.

Do you have a URL for viewing the issue number 1060346, or is that an
internal bug tracker number?  If the latter, is there a forum or mailing
list post from NVIDIA referencing that, which we could refer to?

Having a Launchpad bug report to follow this would be helpful.  The most
useful way to file this bug would be to reproduce the crash, and then on
the crashed system file the bug via 'ubuntu-bug xorg', which will
collect all the log and config files we need.  Then also reference any
and all background material (steps to reproduce, external bug #'s, forum
discussions, etc.)  Elaborating on any/all testing activity you've done
can also be invaluable.

Bryce

Re: [ubuntu-x] New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Michael Wisheu
Hi Bryce,

Unfortunately 1060346 is an internal bug tracking ID of NVIDIA and I also have no access to their bug tracker.
In addition to that I can't use easily 'ubuntu-bug xorg' as apport is disabled on our company computers.
I also don't know if it would be so helpful if I would submit that report as we build our own NVIDIA packages (based on X updates packages).

Thus I try to give as much details here:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  304.51  Tue Sep 18 17:16:56 PDT 2012
GCC version:  gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-common                                        1:0.2.44.2                              Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii  nvidia-current                                       304.51-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1~gg3        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii  nvidia-settings                                      304.51-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1~gg3        Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-updater                                       1.19                                    Postpone NVIDIA package updates until startup

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3120 x 1920, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 518mm x 324mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+   59.9
   1600x1200      60.0
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.0     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     59.9
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 connected 1200x1920+1920+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 518mm x 324mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+   59.9
   1920x1080      60.0     59.9     50.0     24.0     30.0     30.0     25.0
   1600x1200      60.0
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1280x720       60.0     59.9     50.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.0     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   720x576        50.0     25.0
   720x480        59.9     30.0
   640x480        75.0     59.9     59.9

Steps to reproduce the issue:
1) Configure one monitor in portrait orientation
2) xset dpms force standby
3) Press a key or move the mouse so that the monitors leave standby
4) Xorg crash

I've also attached my Xorg.0.log.old after a crash.
Please note that we were able reproduce this behavior on all release drivers between 304.43 and 304.51. This might be an issue in earlier 3xx.xx drivers too.
I hope this helps already a bit... If you need more details please let me know.

Best,

Michael

PS: Wish you a nice weekend...

Xorg.0.log.old.gz (12K) Download Attachment

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 05:18:33PM +0200, Michael Wisheu wrote:
> Hi Bryce,
>
> Unfortunately 1060346 is an internal bug tracking ID of NVIDIA and I also
> have no access to their bug tracker.
> In addition to that I can't use easily 'ubuntu-bug xorg' as apport is
> disabled on our company computers.
> I also don't know if it would be so helpful if I would submit that report
> as we build our own NVIDIA packages (based on X updates packages).

This is good info, can you paste it into a bug report?  If you can't use
ubuntu-bug, you can file it manually at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+filebug

It's helpful if you can file the bug report, because then we can contact
you for information or to let you know when it's fixed.

Bryce

> [...]
> > > for this issue.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know about this Michael.
> >
> > Do you have a URL for viewing the issue number 1060346, or is that an
> > internal bug tracker number?  If the latter, is there a forum or mailing
> > list post from NVIDIA referencing that, which we could refer to?
> >
> > Having a Launchpad bug report to follow this would be helpful.  The most
> > useful way to file this bug would be to reproduce the crash, and then on
> > the crashed system file the bug via 'ubuntu-bug xorg', which will
> > collect all the log and config files we need.  Then also reference any
> > and all background material (steps to reproduce, external bug #'s, forum
> > discussions, etc.)  Elaborating on any/all testing activity you've done
> > can also be invaluable.
> >
> > Bryce

Re: [ubuntu-x] New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Sorry for the delay from my side. It is a busy week... I have one little update for you though: According to NVIDIA the issue I've mentioned should be fixed in 304.60 which will be released this Friday.

Best,

Michael

Sent from phone... Please excuse typos.

On Oct 12, 2012 6:46 PM, "Bryce Harrington" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > for this issue.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know about this Michael.
> >
> > Do you have a URL for viewing the issue number 1060346, or is that an
> > internal bug tracker number?  If the latter, is there a forum or mailing
> > list post from NVIDIA referencing that, which we could refer to?
> >
> > Having a Launchpad bug report to follow this would be helpful.  The most
> > useful way to file this bug would be to reproduce the crash, and then on
> > the crashed system file the bug via 'ubuntu-bug xorg', which will
> > collect all the log and config files we need.  Then also reference any
> > and all background material (steps to reproduce, external bug #'s, forum
> > discussions, etc.)  Elaborating on any/all testing activity you've done
> > can also be invaluable.
> >
> > Bryce

Re: [ubuntu-x] New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Thanks for letting us know Michael.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 08:16:55PM +0200, Michael Wisheu wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Michael
> > >
> > > PS: Wish you a nice weekend...

> > might
> > server

> > fix.
> > Launchpad

> > mailing

> > most
> > on
> > forum

Re: New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

a.grandi@gmail.com

On 12 October 2012 01:12, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are introducing new 'experimental' driver packages for NVIDIA, which
> will be available via the Additional Hardware Drivers setup tool for
> 12.04 user (and 12.10 too).  These packages will provide NVIDIA's beta
> drivers, which are required for certain commercial games.

I don't know if/what you really introduced in 12.10, but I must tell
you that today, after upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10 (I was using
Nvidia drivers from X-Swat PPA) my GeForce GT 640 stopped working
properly :(

Now I've installed 304.51 from the Ubuntu repository, but the problem
persists: even if I'm using the Nvidia driver, the maximum screen
resolution is 1024x768 and it should be 1680x1050.

If I can't fix this ASAP I will have to reinstall 12.04 and use X-Swat PPA!