New to kubuntu

Mukesh Kumar-6
Hello All,
I am very new to kubuntu, previously i was using the opensuse. Is
there any tool to  install the softwate packages like yast in
opensuse.

I wan to install minicom, qt creator in Kubuntu9.10

--
Mukesh

Re: New to kubuntu

Luna Jernberg
KPackagemanager

On 3/24/10, Mukesh Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am very new to kubuntu, previously i was using the opensuse. Is
> there any tool to  install the softwate packages like yast in
> opensuse.
>
> I wan to install minicom, qt creator in Kubuntu9.10
>
> --
> Mukesh

Re: New to kubuntu

Mukesh Kumar-6
Thanks martin for your prompt reply. i need to install it or its
default in kubuntu.

On 3/24/10, Martin Jernberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> KPackagemanager
>
> On 3/24/10, Mukesh Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I am very new to kubuntu, previously i was using the opensuse. Is
>> there any tool to  install the softwate packages like yast in
>> opensuse.
>>
>> I wan to install minicom, qt creator in Kubuntu9.10
>>
>> --
>> Mukesh

Re: New to kubuntu

Lindsay Mathieson
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 05:10:17 pm Mukesh Kumar wrote:
> Thanks martin for your prompt reply. i need to install it or its
> default in kubuntu.

Its preinstalled.

  KMenu|Computer|KPackageKit

--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Re: New to kubuntu

Eric Jackson-5
Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 05:10:17 pm Mukesh Kumar wrote:
>> Thanks martin for your prompt reply. i need to install it or its
>> default in kubuntu.
>
> Its preinstalled.
>
>   KMenu|Computer|KPackageKit

I prefer to use Synaptic. I think it comes pre-installed. Take a look at
them both and you can decide for your self. If they aren't installed,
try sudo apt-get install synaptic from Konsole. That's the way to
install any program that's in the repositories using the command line.
Since kpackagekit is installed you can use it to install Synaptic if you
want to take a look at it.

Eric

Re: New to kubuntu

Fersure
Personally I just open up a terminal and type: sudo aptitude

Aptitude is a text-based interface to apt, where-as KPackageKit is QT-based.

Give them both a try, see what feels right for you. :)

Re: New to kubuntu

Knapp
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Fersure <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Personally I just open up a terminal and type: sudo aptitude
> Aptitude is a text-based interface to apt, where-as KPackageKit is QT-based.
> Give them both a try, see what feels right for you. :)
> Mukesh

You can also use aptitude just like apt-get

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Super Cow Powers

Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
On Wed, March 24, 2010 14:11, Knapp wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Fersure <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Personally I just open up a terminal and type: sudo aptitude
>> Aptitude is a text-based interface to apt, where-as KPackageKit is
>> QT-based.
>> Give them both a try, see what feels right for you. :)
>> Mukesh
>
> You can also use aptitude just like apt-get

Almost.
apt-get has Super Cow Powers but aptitude hasn't.

Just try:
apt-get --help | tail -n 1
apt-get moo
aptitude --help | tail -n 1
aptitude moo
aptitude -v moo
aptitude -vv moo
aptitude -vvv moo

It's supposed to be a reference to Le Petit Prince.

Re: New to kubuntu

Pastor JW-2
On Wednesday 24 March 2010 4:01:43 am Eric wrote:
> I prefer to use Synaptic. I think it comes pre-installed.

It is only pre-installed in Gnome.  It does use some Gnome libraries so it is
not really "pure" Kubuntu.  It is however "usable" Kubuntu!!

> Take a look at
> them both and you can decide for your self. If they aren't installed,
> try sudo apt-get install synaptic from Konsole. That's the way to
> install any program that's in the repositories using the command line.
> Since kpackagekit is installed you can use it to install Synaptic if you
> want to take a look at it.

I like Synaptic too.  It was the first thing I installed  on my machine after
installing Kubuntu.  It is in the native repositories.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403