Newly installed UbuntuMATE 18-04 does not boot

Newly installed UbuntuMATE 18-04 does not boot

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

I have just rebooted a computer after I (believe that I) installed
UbuntuMATE 18-04, on the computer that has MS Windows installed, and,
after the "Installation is complete. Reboot the computer" (or, words
to that effect), followed by the "Remove the installation media from
the DVD drive and press Return" (or, words to that effect, it booted
directly into MS Windows, as if Ubuntu had not been installed.

In using the MS Windows file manager, the C: drive size has been
changed, as intended, in the (believed) Ubuntu installation, but, no
GRUB boot manager or other bootloader screen (which would show the
presence of more than one operating system installation, being
present, apart from providing the option of which operating system to
boot) appeared, and it is as if the Ubuntu installation had not
happened (now, I am not confident that it did install).

In the installation process, in one screen, three options were displayed -
1. Install alongsside the Windows installation, using the Windows bootloader
2. Use the whole disk, eliminating the MS Windows installation
3.Other (this allows changing the disk partioning)

I used the third option, as I needed to repartition the HDD, and, from
memory, that was previously the option that installed and implemented
GRUB.

Now, no installation of Ubuntu Linux, is apparent.

This is on a UEFI/GPT system.

Please advise.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Newly installed UbuntuMATE 18-04 does not boot

Ralf Mardorf-2
The first steps of troubleshooting could be

1. Run a LINUX from a live media, e.g. an Ubuntu Mate 18.04 live DVD,
   by choosing the option to test Ubuntu Mate without installing it.

2. After the session started, open a terminal.

3. Run
   sudo gparted

4. In the right upper corner of the gparted window is a selection box.
   Select one drive after the other, perhaps you could see, that
   something already is installed.

5. Run
   caja

5. Mount all partitions, caja does provide mount options, but you not
   necessarily get access to all directories, since the live DVD default
   user might have UID 1001 and the /home/* of the installed user might
   be owned by 1000, but there's no need to access /home/*. However, if
   you want to acess it, run
   sudo caja
   or
   sudo -i
   and take a look by using command line only.

If you should see an installed Linux, e.g. run

cat /media/u*mate/*/etc/os-release

resp.

cat /mount/point/etc/os-release

the next step could be installing grub (not the packages, but the bootloader
to the drive).

On 04/06/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The first steps of troubleshooting could be
>
> 1. Run a LINUX from a live media, e.g. an Ubuntu Mate 18.04 live DVD,
>    by choosing the option to test Ubuntu Mate without installing it.
>
> 2. After the session started, open a terminal.
>
> 3. Run
>    sudo gparted
>
> 4. In the right upper corner of the gparted window is a selection box.
>    Select one drive after the other, perhaps you could see, that
>    something already is installed.
>
> 5. Run
>    caja
>
> 5. Mount all partitions, caja does provide mount options, but you not
>    necessarily get access to all directories, since the live DVD default
>    user might have UID 1001 and the /home/* of the installed user might
>    be owned by 1000, but there's no need to access /home/*. However, if
>    you want to acess it, run
>    sudo caja
>    or
>    sudo -i
>    and take a look by using command line only.
>
> If you should see an installed Linux, e.g. run
>
> cat /media/u*mate/*/etc/os-release
>
> resp.
>
> cat /mount/point/etc/os-release
>
> the next step could be installing grub (not the packages, but the bootloader
> to the drive).

gparted shows the partition that should be the / partition, as having
7.33GB used.

mount does not work - "can't find in /etc/fstab".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Newly installed UbuntuMATE 18-04 does not boot

Bret Busby-2
On 04/06/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The first steps of troubleshooting could be
>
> 1. Run a LINUX from a live media, e.g. an Ubuntu Mate 18.04 live DVD,
>    by choosing the option to test Ubuntu Mate without installing it.
>
> 2. After the session started, open a terminal.
>
> 3. Run
>    sudo gparted
>
> 4. In the right upper corner of the gparted window is a selection box.
>    Select one drive after the other, perhaps you could see, that
>    something already is installed.
>
> 5. Run
>    caja
>
> 5. Mount all partitions, caja does provide mount options, but you not
>    necessarily get access to all directories, since the live DVD default
>    user might have UID 1001 and the /home/* of the installed user might
>    be owned by 1000, but there's no need to access /home/*. However, if
>    you want to acess it, run
>    sudo caja
>    or
>    sudo -i
>    and take a look by using command line only.
>
> If you should see an installed Linux, e.g. run
>
> cat /media/u*mate/*/etc/os-release
>
> resp.
>
> cat /mount/point/etc/os-release
>
> the next step could be installing grub (not the packages, but the bootloader
> to the drive).

I have (I think) found the answer (by accident).

This new and weird(-ish) computer has the means within the BIOS
settings, so, I set the boot order in there, and (in the first
instance, anyway) it seems to work.I have not encountered that before,
where the boot sequence of the installed operating systems, is set and
controlled within the BIOS (on a UEFI machine).

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Newly installed UbuntuMATE 18-04 does not boot

Jeff Lane-2
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/06/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The first steps of troubleshooting could be
>>
>> 1. Run a LINUX from a live media, e.g. an Ubuntu Mate 18.04 live DVD,
>>    by choosing the option to test Ubuntu Mate without installing it.
>>
>> 2. After the session started, open a terminal.
>>
>> 3. Run
>>    sudo gparted
>>
>> 4. In the right upper corner of the gparted window is a selection box.
>>    Select one drive after the other, perhaps you could see, that
>>    something already is installed.
>>
>> 5. Run
>>    caja
>>
>> 5. Mount all partitions, caja does provide mount options, but you not
>>    necessarily get access to all directories, since the live DVD default
>>    user might have UID 1001 and the /home/* of the installed user might
>>    be owned by 1000, but there's no need to access /home/*. However, if
>>    you want to acess it, run
>>    sudo caja
>>    or
>>    sudo -i
>>    and take a look by using command line only.
>>
>> If you should see an installed Linux, e.g. run
>>
>> cat /media/u*mate/*/etc/os-release
>>
>> resp.
>>
>> cat /mount/point/etc/os-release
>>
>> the next step could be installing grub (not the packages, but the bootloader
>> to the drive).
>>

>> --
>>

> I have (I think) found the answer (by accident).
>
> This new and weird(-ish) computer has the means within the BIOS
> settings, so, I set the boot order in there, and (in the first
> instance, anyway) it seems to work.I have not encountered that before,
> where the boot sequence of the installed operating systems, is set and
> controlled within the BIOS (on a UEFI machine).

All EFI systems work like that. The OS installer, in general terms,
writes its bootloader somewhere and then writes an EFI boot entry into
the EFI tables.  Then when the system boots, EFI loads (EFI is a whole
OS environment based on TianoCore) and presents the boot options it's
aware of or has scanned, you choose an option or it times out and
executes the default, EFI unloads and hands off to whatever boot
option you've chosen, be it an on-disk boot loader like Grub or
Windows Loader, or the Network card for a PXE boot, or to boot the
onboard diagnostics.

When you set those things in the System Settings, you're likewise
modifying the EFI variables that the OS installers write to.

BIOS has been deprecated in favor of EFI and while there are still
millions of devices that support both, within the next 10 years pretty
much anything sold will be EFI only.

If you're multi-booting, by the way, I'd suggest installing rEFInd and
using that to write the EFI options.  http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Here's also a decent explanation (long-winded, though) of EFI and how
it works: https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/25/uefi-boot-how-does-that-actually-work-then/

Cheers,

Jeff