NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Erast Benson
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that with help of system-tools-backends
maintainers I was working on system-tools-backends and
gnome-system-tools frontends to bring GUI tools up to the level when
average user could easy configure NexentaOS, new exciting Ubuntu
GNU/Solaris based operating system!

I ported almost all system-tools-backends components and did quite a lot
of bug fixing and SunOS-awareness fixes in gnome-system-tools frontends.

Specific OpenSolaris/Nexenta features fully supported:

* SMF management (start,stop,view)
* dfstab NFS and Samba shares
* native OpenSolaris Wifi network locator and configuration using
wificonfig and native wireless drivers
* native NIC interfaces configuration which utilizes existing
configuration schema, i.e. /etc/netmasks, /etc/networks,
/etc/hostname.$dev, etc
* native NTP client and timezone support
* disk administration with UFS partition support

Backends are fully integrated into Nexenta desktop, for instance,
missing NTP or Samba packages will be requested via Synaptic package
manager and will be downloaded via popup GUIs. Nautilus integrated with
disks-admin as well as the rest of tools spread out through the GNOME's
menu and options.

Check out screenshot at my homepage:
http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/ErastBenson

If you are not Nexenta OS user yet, than become one and help us make it
the best OS environment available around!

Enjoy and happy new year!!!
Erast

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On wo, 2005-12-28 at 13:20 -0800, Erast Benson wrote:

> Hi Guys,

Hi,

Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntu.com

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 22:44 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On wo, 2005-12-28 at 13:20 -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
>
> Hi,
>
> Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?

for those who is hopelessly blind: Nexenta OS is Ubuntu/Breezy port. Its
like Kubuntu if you will. And my contribution actually applies to both
Ubuntu and Nexenta developments.

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Myles Green
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:44:47 +0100
Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On wo, 2005-12-28 at 13:20 -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
>
> Hi,
>
> Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?

I think he is sending this here because Nexenta is Ubuntu Breezy with
the OpenSolairis kernel (plus a few libraries). To be sure, it should
possibly have been posted to the sounder list, which I have just done.
But still, you can tell he is excited and proud of his accomplishment -
as he should be. Personally I find this pretty exciting myself, now we
have an exceptional Linux distribution in Ubuntu and an exceptional
derivative using the OpenSolairis platform as well.

Just my thoughts,
Myles

--
Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.

On wo, 2005-12-28 at 13:55 -0800, Erast Benson wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 22:44 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> > On wo, 2005-12-28 at 13:20 -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?
>
> for those who is hopelessly blind: Nexenta OS is Ubuntu/Breezy port. Its
> like Kubuntu if you will. And my contribution actually applies to both
> Ubuntu and Nexenta developments.
The message you sent has nothing to do with Ubuntu development. As
suggested, you should use the sounder list.

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 15:12 -0700, Myles Green wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:44:47 +0100
> Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On wo, 2005-12-28 at 13:20 -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?
>
> I think he is sending this here because Nexenta is Ubuntu Breezy with
> the OpenSolairis kernel (plus a few libraries). To be sure, it should
> possibly have been posted to the sounder list, which I have just done.
> But still, you can tell he is excited and proud of his accomplishment -
> as he should be. Personally I find this pretty exciting myself, now we
> have an exceptional Linux distribution in Ubuntu and an exceptional
> derivative using the OpenSolairis platform as well.

Right.

Forgive me folks if you can for my "spamming" :-) But I indeed pretty
excited to see how Nexenta OS is taking off. And in fact, I'd like to do
some more future Ubuntu/Nexenta integrational work. D-BUS/HAL is the
next target.

Needless to say that I'm also asking free developers to help
Ubuntu/Nexenta progress.

Another thing is that as it usually happened with this sort of porting
efforts I'm fixing pure Ubuntu bugs too. Fixes will be available in the
Launchpad/Nexenta.

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Jeff Waugh-2
<quote who="Dennis Kaarsemaker">

> Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?

Important point to be made here: If you don't agree with someone's behaviour
on the list, please ask them about it kindly - and better yet privately - so
you understand where they're coming from without embarrassing them. If we're
open and polite, we'll have more success directing them onto the right path.

Public shaming certainly has its place, but only after some genuine outreach
has been done. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Patrick McFarland (Diablo-D3)
On Wednesday 28 December 2005 20:17, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Dennis Kaarsemaker">
>
> > Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?
>
> Important point to be made here: If you don't agree with someone's
> behaviour on the list, please ask them about it kindly - and better yet
> privately - so you understand where they're coming from without
> embarrassing them. If we're open and polite, we'll have more success
> directing them onto the right path.

I agree. Infact, I think whoever this Dennis character is should be removed
from the list until they learn to play nice with others; the "I hate people
who work on open source software" mailing list is --> that way.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || [hidden email]
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Jeff Waugh-2
<quote who="Patrick McFarland">

> I agree. Infact, I think whoever this Dennis character is should be
> removed from the list until they learn to play nice with others

Dennis has been an excellent, positive contibutor to Ubuntu for ages now, so
this kind of reaction is entirely unwarranted.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

   "We are not lovers. We are not romantics. We are here to serve you." -
                        Gary Numan, Down In The Park

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 22:06, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Patrick McFarland">
>
> > I agree. Infact, I think whoever this Dennis character is should be
> > removed from the list until they learn to play nice with others
>
> Dennis has been an excellent, positive contibutor to Ubuntu for ages now,
> so this kind of reaction is entirely unwarranted.

Ahh, you missed my on purpose situational irony.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || [hidden email]
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo,
Inc, 1989

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Daniel Holbach-2
Hi Dennis,

Am Mittwoch, den 28.12.2005, 23:22 +0100 schrieb Dennis Kaarsemaker:
> The message you sent has nothing to do with Ubuntu development. As
> suggested, you should use the sounder list.

I oppose. Since gnome-system-tools (g-s-t) is an essential part of the
Desktop for new users and has a pile of bugs, I'm *very happy* to see
patches which we might integrate: this *is* Ubuntu development.

Ok, this might have gone to the ubuntu-desktop@ list or to the bug
tracker and assigned to the 'gnome' team - whatever. I'm *very* happy to
see the collaboration.

For me sounder@ is a chit-chat list and doesn't have much to do with
development.

I hope you're not mad at me over these frank words.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Jeroen van Splunder
Op wo, 28-12-2005 te 15:12 -0700, schreef Myles Green:
> I think he is sending this here because Nexenta is Ubuntu Breezy with
> the OpenSolairis kernel (plus a few libraries). To be sure, it should
> possibly have been posted to the sounder list, which I have just done.
> But still, you can tell he is excited and proud of his accomplishment -
> as he should be. Personally I find this pretty exciting myself, now we
> have an exceptional Linux distribution in Ubuntu and an exceptional
> derivative using the OpenSolairis platform as well.

A _Linux_ distribution?
--
Jeroen van Splunder <[hidden email]>

On do, 2005-12-29 at 09:43 +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> > The message you sent has nothing to do with Ubuntu development. As
> > suggested, you should use the sounder list.
>
> I oppose. Since gnome-system-tools (g-s-t) is an essential part of the
> Desktop for new users and has a pile of bugs, I'm *very happy* to see
> patches which we might integrate: this *is* Ubuntu development.

How are solaris-specific things for which there are no patches to be
found anywhere even remotely related to Ubuntu development?

I would also appreciate patches that fix gnome-system-tools very much,
but a one-line mention of having fixed things (without the actual
patches, which by the way I can't find anywhere) in a mail full of
ubuntu-unrelated nexenta spam is useless.

> I hope you're not mad at me over these frank words.

Of course not :)
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntu.com
  - Linux voor iedereen:    http://www.ubuntu-nl.org

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Eric Dunbar
With all respect due to Dennis for his contributions...

There appears to be at least one person common to both the Nexenta and
the Ubuntu projects:

https://launchpad.net/people/sabdfl

"Team Memberships

Mark Shuttleworth is a member of:

Debian Developers (Administrator)
Launchpad Administrators (Administrator)
Launchpad Developers (Administrator)
Nexenta Team (Administrator)"

On 12/28/05, Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On wo, 2005-12-28 at 13:55 -0800, Erast Benson wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Why do you keep spamming Nexenta on the Ubuntu developers list?
> >
> > for those who is hopelessly blind: Nexenta OS is Ubuntu/Breezy port. Its
> > like Kubuntu if you will. And my contribution actually applies to both
> > Ubuntu and Nexenta developments.
>
> The message you sent has nothing to do with Ubuntu development. As
> suggested, you should use the sounder list.
>
> --
> Dennis K.
>   - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntu.com
>   - Linux voor iedereen:    http://www.ubuntu-nl.org

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Jerome Gotangco
On 12/29/05, Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would also appreciate patches that fix gnome-system-tools very much,
> but a one-line mention of having fixed things (without the actual
> patches, which by the way I can't find anywhere) in a mail full of
> ubuntu-unrelated nexenta spam is useless.

I wouldn't really consider it as spam; sure its probably noise to some
but definitely is not spam =) I only subscribe to NBTS on the Nexenta
side so knowing what's happening is over to the other side is
refreshing.

Jerome Gotangco
[hidden email] | [hidden email]
Mobile: +639196555242
GPG: 0xA97B69A0

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Myles Green
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:51:14 +0100
Jeroen van Splunder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op wo, 28-12-2005 te 15:12 -0700, schreef Myles Green:
> > I think he is sending this here because Nexenta is Ubuntu Breezy
> > with the OpenSolairis kernel (plus a few libraries). To be sure, it
> > should possibly have been posted to the sounder list, which I have
> > just done. But still, you can tell he is excited and proud of his
> > accomplishment - as he should be. Personally I find this pretty
> > exciting myself, now we have an exceptional Linux distribution in
> > Ubuntu and an exceptional derivative using the OpenSolairis
> > platform as well.
>
> A _Linux_ distribution?

Did I not say that Ubuntu was a Linux distribution? NexentaOS is
nothing more than an Ubuntu derivative that uses the OpenSolairis
kernel/libraries.

In the begining there was Debian. Then came the good folks at Ubuntu
who took the unstable branch of Debian, added love and all the goodness
that comes thereof, and gave birth to our beloved Linux distribution.
Then came the folks at Nexenta who took the latest stable release of
Ubuntu known to us as Ubuntu-5.10 (Breezy Badger) and modified it to
work with OpenSolairis thereby creating yet another flavor of
Debian-come-Ubuntu.

At this point Erast (the original poster) is probably creating the
necessary patches to the GNOME System Tools to contribute back to the
Ubuntu community as he said he would do. I would have expected a little
more understanding from a community the likes of Ubuntu.

--
Q: What do you call a WASP who doesn't work for his father,
isn't a lawyer, and believes in social causes?

On do, 2005-12-29 at 07:14 -0700, Myles Green wrote:
> Did I not say that Ubuntu was a Linux distribution? NexentaOS is
> nothing more than an Ubuntu derivative that uses the OpenSolairis
> kernel/libraries.

Exactly, so it is no longer a _Linux_ distribution :)
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntu.com
  - Linux voor iedereen:    http://www.ubuntu-nl.org

Re: NexentaOS GUI configuration tools fully ported

Myles Green
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:42:43 +0100
Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On do, 2005-12-29 at 07:14 -0700, Myles Green wrote:
> > Did I not say that Ubuntu was a Linux distribution? NexentaOS is
> > nothing more than an Ubuntu derivative that uses the OpenSolairis
> > kernel/libraries.
>
> Exactly, so it is no longer a _Linux_ distribution :)

*sigh* fine... have it your way. So much for open minds. BTW Dennis,
did you even bother to read the rest of that post? Whatever, it doesn't
matter anymore I'm tired of this crap, I'll just take my business
somewhere else.

I hope you had fun.
Myles
--
Q: What's the difference between Bell Labs and the Boy Scouts of
America?

On do, 2005-12-29 at 08:37 -0700, Myles Green wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:42:43 +0100
> Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On do, 2005-12-29 at 07:14 -0700, Myles Green wrote:
> > > Did I not say that Ubuntu was a Linux distribution? NexentaOS is
> > > nothing more than an Ubuntu derivative that uses the OpenSolairis
> > > kernel/libraries.
> >
> > Exactly, so it is no longer a _Linux_ distribution :)
>
> *sigh* fine... have it your way. So much for open minds. BTW Dennis,
> did you even bother to read the rest of that post? Whatever, it doesn't
> matter anymore I'm tired of this crap, I'll just take my business
> somewhere else.
This has nothing to do with open minds and I never meant to
insult/disrespect you in any way. I jsut find it weird to call something
a Linux distribution when there is no Linux in it...

And don't get me wrong, Nexenta is a great initiative and I hope they
succeed.

Please read again, Myles said:

"""Personally I find this pretty exciting myself, now we have an
exceptional Linux distribution in Ubuntu and an exceptional derivative
using the OpenSolairis platform as well."""

So, I think you misread his e-mail.

> And don't get me wrong, Nexenta is a great initiative and I hope they
> succeed.

Thanks. And sure all bugs we will find and fix we will contribute back
via Lanuchpad's patches.