NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Alex Ross-5
NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 is now available for download at:

http://www.gnusolaris.org/Download

This release contains 3,596 packages, and in particular:

* OpenOffice 2.0 (distributed with both InstallCD and LiveCD).

* Storage Subsystem (thanks to OpenSolaris Storage Community!)

* OpenSolaris build #34, non-DEBUG kernel.

In addition, Alpha 3 provides:

* LiveCD

    The LiveCD "Alpha 2" problem is now fixed. Also, we were able to fit in
    the entire OpenOffice 2.0 suite (110MB compressed) into the LiveCD image, and
    still keep the result below 700MB, which is suitable for most CD writers.
    The trick: ZFS compression.

* NexentaOS Installer: added time zone management. The Alpha 3 Installer will
    upgrade from both Alpha 1 and Alpha 2, will recognize removable drives, and
    more.

NexentaOS Alpha 3 is the first partially-automatically-built release. To see the
ongoing builds, please visit:

http://www.gnusolaris.org/cgi-bin/hackzone-web

And to actually put the builder to work:

http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/HackZoneNotify

Everybody's invited!

Thanks!

--
Nexenta Team.

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

John Moser-2

I tried alpha 2, my assessment was that the OS was indeed alpha quality
but good for its alphaness; while the solaris kernel was like a billion
times slower than Linux.  Programs visibly launched slow, stuff was just
slow.

Why are you announcing on ubuntu-devel?  Is Nexenta eventually going to
be a slower version of Ubuntu?

Alex Ross wrote:

> NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 is now available for download at:
>
> http://www.gnusolaris.org/Download
>
> This release contains 3,596 packages, and in particular:
>
> * OpenOffice 2.0 (distributed with both InstallCD and LiveCD).
>
> * Storage Subsystem (thanks to OpenSolaris Storage Community!)
>
> * OpenSolaris build #34, non-DEBUG kernel.
>
> In addition, Alpha 3 provides:
>
> * LiveCD
>
>    The LiveCD "Alpha 2" problem is now fixed. Also, we were able to fit in
>    the entire OpenOffice 2.0 suite (110MB compressed) into the LiveCD
> image, and
>    still keep the result below 700MB, which is suitable for most CD
> writers.
>    The trick: ZFS compression.
>
> * NexentaOS Installer: added time zone management. The Alpha 3 Installer
> will
>    upgrade from both Alpha 1 and Alpha 2, will recognize removable
> drives, and
>    more.
>
> NexentaOS Alpha 3 is the first partially-automatically-built release. To
> see the
> ongoing builds, please visit:
>
> http://www.gnusolaris.org/cgi-bin/hackzone-web
>
> And to actually put the builder to work:
>
> http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/HackZoneNotify
>
> Everybody's invited!
>
> Thanks!

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                                     -- Evil alien overlord from Blasto

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Erast Benson
On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 00:05 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> I tried alpha 2, my assessment was that the OS was indeed alpha quality
> but good for its alphaness; while the solaris kernel was like a billion
> times slower than Linux.  Programs visibly launched slow, stuff was just
> slow.

I'm seeing exactly opposite picture on my comparison HW (2-way amd64).
It boots noticeably faster than Ubuntu/Breezy mostly because system
services are SMF-backed and allows parallel execution. GUI applications
starts much faster and system seems more responsive due to kernel's
built-in real-time scheduler.

> Why are you announcing on ubuntu-devel?

Because essentially, NexentaOS is a GNU/Solaris Ubuntu.

>   Is Nexenta eventually going to be a slower version of Ubuntu?

Hmm... a faster and different version of Ubuntu... :-)
Seriously, it is not an easy task to make a fair comparison between two
systems even though they built from the same bits, except that kernel
and libc are different. I think NexentaOS performance is not the only
factor to consider. Think about a stability/scalability/maintainability
factors? One could consider Ubuntu GNU/Solaris as a perfect server
solution.

--
Erast

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Vincent Untz-3
Le mercredi 22 février 2006 à 19:31 -0800, Alex Ross a écrit :
> NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 is now available for download at:
>
> http://www.gnusolaris.org/Download

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to send this to ubuntu-announce or
ubuntu-devel-announce? Just wondering...

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Reinhard Tartler-2
On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:24:12AM +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 is now available for download at:
> > http://www.gnusolaris.org/Download
>
> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to send this to ubuntu-announce or
> ubuntu-devel-announce? Just wondering...

nexeta-devel-announce would have been the most appropriate list for
that.

This list is already overloaded and it is very hard to track important
items. Please try to focus on really relevant stuff and increase the N/S
ratio. Please move discussions about nexenta announcements off this
list.

Gruesse,
        Reinhard

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Lucas Nussbaum
On 23/02/06 at 12:21 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Please try to focus on really relevant stuff and increase the N/S ratio.
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please, please, don't !! ;)
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| [hidden email]   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: [hidden email]             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

John Moser-2

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Robin Sonefors
tor 2006-02-23 klockan 13:14 +0100 skrev Lucas Nussbaum:
> On 23/02/06 at 12:21 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > Please try to focus on really relevant stuff and increase the N/S ratio.
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Please, please, don't !! ;)

You just did! :P

(oh no, so did I...)

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Daniel Holbach-2
Hello everybody,

Am Donnerstag, den 23.02.2006, 07:27 -0500 schrieb John Richard Moser:
> Oh it boots faster, yeah.  The more responsive thing, I'm not seeing; I
> launch a program and it goes *groan* :(

This is a post I did on [hidden email] yesterday as
well. In my opinion, it fits here too:

I don't want to be rude and maybe your mail just came with a very bad
timing.

The mailing lists are full at the moment, it takes too much time to read
through them all. We are in a very hard timing for the development of
the distribution, Feature Freeze is today and urgent decisions have
to be made.

Please let's try all to (and I don't say that to you alone):

      * be very focused about problems
      * propose solutions
      * don't discuss for discussion's sake
      * maybe try to move the forming of an idea to a wiki page
      * make every creative effort you can to keep the noise / fact
        ratio at a reasonable level
      * use the bug tracker for bugs
      * stop ranting

Sorry Richard, if I picked your mail for this, but the situation
justified it.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel

Re: NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Tom Marshall
> The mailing lists are full at the moment,

  http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20060222.html

Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

--
quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur
(anything said in Latin sounds profound)

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 07:27 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> > I'm seeing exactly opposite picture on my comparison HW (2-way amd64).
> > It boots noticeably faster than Ubuntu/Breezy mostly because system
> > services are SMF-backed and allows parallel execution. GUI applications
> > starts much faster and system seems more responsive due to kernel's
> > built-in real-time scheduler.
> >

> Oh it boots faster, yeah.  The more responsive thing, I'm not seeing; I
> launch a program and it goes *groan* :(

Your observation is really depends on an application. At the alpha stage
we know for sure that some applications/environments requires at least
recompilation since bunch of OpenSolaris-specific optimizations wasn't
enabled at all. We've fixed that bug in Alpha3 but number of major
software needs to be recompiled. For instance, GNOME is noticeably
slower than on Solaris Express and Ubuntu/Breezy. This is a alpha bug
with the GNOME packages itself. But NexentaOS's OpenOffice2 is
noticeably faster than Ubuntu/Breezy compilation. I even noticed that in
VMware session it starts faster than on native Ubuntu host. KDE is also
requires some amount of work, though I noticed that Qt's widget drawing
engine works much faster than in GNOME. This is something we will fix in
the upcoming Beta1 release, so new packages will appear in
elatte-unstable repository soon.

Also, with HackZoneNotify interface and new AutoBuilder network
available with Alpha3 release, we are trying to simplify developer's
contribution to the project. Read about how to start contribution here: