(No Subject)

ubuntu-users mailing list
Like to ask how do I disable the creation of a swap file during or before installation? Using liveusb.

I am not asking how to disable, delete the swap, ... after installation.

Regards
Ming

Re: (No Subject)

Robert Heller
At Tue, 21 Aug 2018 15:07:53 +0000 Sinming <[hidden email]>, "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Like to ask how do I disable the creation of a swap file during or before
> installation? Using liveusb.

Why in the world would you want to do that?

I know, in theory, with enough RAM, a swap file might never be actually used.
The problem is that without a swap file, should you somehow run out of RAM,
you have the option of "gracefully" degrading, rather than non-so-gracefully
being hit with random programs being killed by the OOM. With the "gracefully"
degradation, you have the option of figuring out what you might need to do and
still have a functional system in the meantime, rather than randomly loosing
critical functionallity. Sometimes the problem is a short-term transitional
issue and the swap file lets you weather it. Like having a spare tire, just in
case one of your (supposedly) puncture-proof tires springs a flat.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Swap file? Was Re: (No Subject)

Peter McD
Am 21.08.2018 um 17:07 schrieb Sinming via ubuntu-users:
> Like to ask how do I disable the creation of a swap file during or before installation? Using liveusb.
>
> I am not asking how to disable, delete the swap, ... after installation.

I should think the least trouble is to set it to a very small size, if
possible. In the end, it is just a file.
Maybe the live system uses a present local swap partition automatically.

cu
Peter

Re: Swap file? Was Re: (No Subject)

Brian-277
On Tue 21 Aug 2018 at 17:52:13 +0200, Peter McD wrote:

> Am 21.08.2018 um 17:07 schrieb Sinming via ubuntu-users:
> > Like to ask how do I disable the creation of a swap file during or before installation? Using liveusb.
> >
> > I am not asking how to disable, delete the swap, ... after installation.
>
> I should think the least trouble is to set it to a very small size, if
> possible. In the end, it is just a file.
> Maybe the live system uses a present local swap partition automatically.

Preseeding wih partman-swapfile/percentage=0 and/or partman-swapfile/size=0
on the kernel command line should give the OP what he wants.

--
Brian.

Re: (No Subject)

Daniel Howard
In my experience, during install, enter the manual partitioner, then you can delete the swap partition, and resize other partitions to take that space.

If you already have a swap partition, you may be able to delete it, and grow the filesystem to take its place. I think gparted might be up to making this task fairly easy.

To respond to Robert Heller: I prefer to start without swap. If you're running a VM, and you run out of memory, you increase the RAM available to the VM. If you're running bare metal, and you run out of memory, provision a swap file.

I prefer to "opt in" to swapping. It is usually not needed, and if you do need it, you can fairly easily add a swap file. If I have to add a swap file, I take that as a hint that either we need more capacity (more RAM or more systems) or that the system's favorite applications are leaking memory.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 8:09 AM Sinming via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Like to ask how do I disable the creation of a swap file during or before installation? Using liveusb.

I am not asking how to disable, delete the swap, ... after installation.

Regards
Ming

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Re: Swap file? Was Re: (No Subject)

Hi

> Preseeding wih partman-swapfile/percentage=0 and/or partman-swapfile/size=0
> on the kernel command line should give the OP what he wants.

Can anyone help on how exactly do I pass either of the top or bottom parameters into the "kernel command line"?

> d-i partman-swapfile/percentage string 0
> d-i partman-swapfile/size string 0

Thanks!

On Tue 28 Aug 2018 at 13:12:32 +0000, Sinming via ubuntu-users wrote:

> > Preseeding wih partman-swapfile/percentage=0 and/or partman-swapfile/size=0
> > on the kernel command line should give the OP what he wants.
>
> Can anyone help on how exactly do I pass either of the top or bottom parameters into the "kernel command line"?
>
> > d-i partman-swapfile/percentage string 0
> > d-i partman-swapfile/size string 0

Any help?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

--