No audio through displayport

MR ZenWiz
I have an HP 8740w "elitebook" laptop that comes with a displayport
instead of an HDMI port.

I have tried every possible combination of DP->HDMI adapter and nvidia
vs nouveau drivers and none of these combinations produces an audio
stream that goes through the digital interface the DP (and HDMI) are
supposed to provide.

All I see in the volume control audio settings are five analog stereo
settings and an off setting.  None of these produce sound through the
DP->HDMI cable, and one of them shuts off the sound through the
headset plug, though it does brighten the sound through the built-in
speakers.

I have complained to nvidia, and their response was essentially, well,
that's an old viddeo card, tough luck.

I did a search for "laptop hdmi plug-in video controller" and nothing
turned up in the way of cards, just troubleshooting tips, mostly for
Windows, which I have already seen.

Is there such a thing at all and who sells them?

Is there another option and if so what?

I really like this laptop, but I'll sell it and get another if this
isn't possible.  Too much of a shortfall.

Thanks.
MR

Xen

Re: No audio through displayport

Xen
MR ZenWiz schreef op 23-10-2017 2:49:

> I did a search for "laptop hdmi plug-in video controller" and nothing
> turned up in the way of cards, just troubleshooting tips, mostly for
> Windows, which I have already seen.
>
> Is there such a thing at all and who sells them?

No the card interface is probably too slow for it.

I looked at that too. I had an elitebook 2340p.

There are only video in cards.

However you can probably combine digital audio into HDMI...

I mean it might need a powered device but you *can* inject audio into
HDMI.

> I really like this laptop, but I'll sell it and get another if this
> isn't possible.  Too much of a shortfall.

I never liked DisplayPort...

Tough luck with that I guess, I think support for it is minimal...

Well sorry I can't help you.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
:
> However you can probably combine digital audio into HDMI...
>
> I mean it might need a powered device but you *can* inject audio into HDMI.

Pray tell, how?

Xen

MR ZenWiz schreef op 23-10-2017 21:24:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> :
>> However you can probably combine digital audio into HDMI...
>>
>> I mean it might need a powered device but you *can* inject audio into
>> HDMI.
>>
> Pray tell, how?

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Toslink-HDMI-Converter-Adapter/dp/B002N8PVTM

That stuff. (Google is your friend).

On 23 October 2017 at 04:49, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there another option and if so what?

Is the firmware current?

I think you'll need the nVidia drivers, so no 17.10 with GNOME for
you. But try some live media with the most current X.11 distros you
can find, e.g. Fedora.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
:

> https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Toslink-HDMI-Converter-Adapter/dp/B002N8PVTM
>
> That stuff. (Google is your friend).

Unfortunately, that stuff is a device for combing DVI and audio into
HDMI - totally irrelevant to what I need.  Displayport output is not
DVI, it's supposed to be functionally equivalent to HDMI, but it
doesn't work with my driver (and there's none available as fas I can
find).

Thanks anyway.

Re: No audio through displayport

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 23:16:07 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Xen wrote:
>> https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Toslink-HDMI-Converter-Adapter/dp/B002N8PVTM
>>
>> That stuff. (Google is your friend).
>>
>Unfortunately, that stuff is a device for combing DVI and audio into
>HDMI - totally irrelevant to what I need.  Displayport output is not
>DVI, it's supposed to be functionally equivalent to HDMI, but it
>doesn't work with my driver (and there's none available as fas I can
>find).

Hi,

so a workaround might be to use 3 adaptors or 2 adaptors and a class
compliant USB audio interface.

|Laptop            |   |Adaptor 1              |   |Adaptor 2         |
|       Displayport|---|Displayport--DVI-D male|---|DVI-D female--HDMI|
|                  |                               |                  |
|                  |                               |                  |
|                  |   |Adaptor 3 or USB audio |   |                  |
|  analog audio out|---|analog audio in or USB |   |                  |
|  or USB          |   |             S/PDIF out|---|S/PDIF in         |

It not necessarily is a good workaround ;), but a workaround that
possibly would do the job.

Regards,
Ralf

Xen

MR ZenWiz schreef op 05-11-2017 7:16:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> :
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Toslink-HDMI-Converter-Adapter/dp/B002N8PVTM
>>
>> That stuff. (Google is your friend).
>>
> Unfortunately, that stuff is a device for combing DVI and audio into
> HDMI - totally irrelevant to what I need.  Displayport output is not
> DVI, it's supposed to be functionally equivalent to HDMI, but it
> doesn't work with my driver (and there's none available as fas I can
> find).

So what do you think HDMI does?

Let me give you the answer:

It combines what is basically DVI and digital audio into one connector,
which is then functionally equivalent, to, as you say, DisplayPort.

;-).

Of course won't work if you need 7.1 channel PCM over HDMI.

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 17:36:31 +0100, Xen wrote:

>MR ZenWiz schreef op 05-11-2017 7:16:
>> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Xen wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Toslink-HDMI-Converter-Adapter/dp/B002N8PVTM
>>>
>> Displayport output is not DVI
>
>So what do you think HDMI does?
>
>Let me give you the answer:
>
>It combines what is basically DVI and digital audio into one
>connector, which is then functionally equivalent, to, as you say,
>DisplayPort.

The problem is that it still would require a combination of adaptors,
because neither S/PDIF, nor DVI-D are provided by the laptop.

"Interfaces
DisplayPort
VGA
FireWire
Microphone input
Headphone output
Modem
LAN
4 x USB 2.0
eSATA
Dock
Battery" -
https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elitebook-8740w-core-i7-720qm-1-6ghz-4gb-ram-320gb-hdd-windows-7-xp-pro-downgrade-series/specs/

So the workaround still wouldn't be too expensive, but complex and
error-prone, at least it would be unfunctional regarding mobility.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2017-November/292222.html

Regards,
Ralf

Re: No audio through displayport

NoOp-4
On 10/22/17 7:49 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> I have an HP 8740w "elitebook" laptop that comes with a displayport
> instead of an HDMI port.
>
> I have tried every possible combination of DP->HDMI adapter and nvidia
> vs nouveau drivers and none of these combinations produces an audio
> stream that goes through the digital interface the DP (and HDMI) are
> supposed to provide.
>
> All I see in the volume control audio settings are five analog stereo
> settings and an off setting.  None of these produce sound through the
> DP->HDMI cable, and one of them shuts off the sound through the
> headset plug, though it does brighten the sound through the built-in
> speakers.
>
> I have complained to nvidia, and their response was essentially, well,
> that's an old viddeo card, tough luck.
>
> I did a search for "laptop hdmi plug-in video controller" and nothing
> turned up in the way of cards, just troubleshooting tips, mostly for
> Windows, which I have already seen.
>
> Is there such a thing at all and who sells them?
>
> Is there another option and if so what?
>
> I really like this laptop, but I'll sell it and get another if this
> isn't possible.  Too much of a shortfall.
>
> Thanks.
> MR

Perhaps kernel related?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1457369
[kernel 3.19.0-18 breaks HDMI audio for snd_hda_intel ]
Note comment 69 & see if that is worth trying:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1457369/comments/69
"date from prior message: I fixed sound, using Pulseaudio. I had to
"apt-get install pavucontrol", and then issue "alsa -force-reload". But
now, sound works with vmlinuz-3.19.0-22-generic. Thanks everyone!"

Maybe try the HP converter cable:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=7353776#!tab=features

Xen

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 05-11-2017 18:24:

> The problem is that it still would require a combination of adaptors,
> because neither S/PDIF, nor DVI-D are provided by the laptop.

For the S/PDIF yeah I didn't realize that.

It's not mobile I know that but I don't know his use case.

DP -> DVI-D is easy.

Usb sound card can be mobile enough but the combining device isn't
mobile.

> So the workaround still wouldn't be too expensive, but complex and
> error-prone, at least it would be unfunctional regarding mobility.

Hardware generally isn't error-prone.

;-).

It's not linux ;-).

:p.

But yeah I personally try to stay away from DisplayPort but I think I
almost bought a HP widescreen elitebook with displayport myself.

But it's a terrible shame that it doesn't work.

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2017-November/292222.html

Yes I saw your message.

That's basically what i said.

Except for the usb -> spdif.

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 20:00:27 +0100, Xen wrote:
>Hardware generally isn't error-prone.

The more combined hardware connected to each other, the more pitfalls.

>Except for the usb -> spdif

"USB --> S/PDIF" or alternatively "analog audio --> S/PDIF"

Xen

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 05-11-2017 20:11:
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 20:00:27 +0100, Xen wrote:
>> Hardware generally isn't error-prone.
>
> The more combined hardware connected to each other, the more pitfalls.

Yes and the farther from the sun the colder it gets.

But it's still pretty cozy on the earth.

General truisms are unwarranted Ralph.

You don't have to educate toddlers.