No suitable demuxer available.

Shabakthanai
My daughter just sent a Christmas CD of my grandbabies singing.  It won't play
because of a demux problem.  I have installed every demux available in Adept
Package Manager.  What else can I do?  I think it was recorded on a Macintosh
Computer.

Steven

Re: No suitable demuxer available.

Jonas Norlander
2008/12/20 Steven Vollom <[hidden email]>:
> My daughter just sent a Christmas CD of my grandbabies singing.  It won't play
> because of a demux problem.  I have installed every demux available in Adept
> Package Manager.  What else can I do?  I think it was recorded on a Macintosh
> Computer.
>
> Steven

Have you run the "file" command on the files on the CD? Do that and
perhaps it will tell you what kind of  file/codec it is.

/ Jonas

Re: No suitable demuxer available.

Shabakthanai

> Have you run the "file" command on the files on the CD? Do that and
> perhaps it will tell you what kind of  file/codec it is.

I typed in file /dev/sdc1 and did not get anything.  I don't seem to be able
to figure out how to start using the terminal.  I was told to type in kwin
when the desktop did not function.  I can't understand why typing in file and
where I want it to look doesn't show the contents of the DVDROM.

Rock-brain,

2008/12/21 Steven Vollom <[hidden email]>:

>> Have you run the "file" command on the files on the CD? Do that and
>> perhaps it will tell you what kind of  file/codec it is.
>
> I typed in file /dev/sdc1 and did not get anything.  I don't seem to be able
> to figure out how to start using the terminal.  I was told to type in kwin
> when the desktop did not function.  I can't understand why typing in file and
> where I want it to look doesn't show the contents of the DVDROM.
>
> Rock-brain,
> Steven

The file command is used on a file not the DVD device that you tried.
In your case you have to mount the DVD (it is a data dvd?) and then
use file command on one of the files on the DVD, something like this
"file /media/cdrom0/mystrangesoundfile.wav".

This is the output i get on a JPEG picture file:
$ file Angels\ Chill\ Trance\ Essentials\ B.jpg
Angels Chill Trance Essentials B.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01

What programs have you tried to play the files with? I use Amarok for
the most of my sound files, it can handle most of them but if that
don't work i try it with VLC (Video Lan Client) which is a great
program that can play almost all sound and video formats that is
common.

/ Jonas

Re: No suitable demuxer available.

Shabakthanai

> >> Have you run the "file" command on the files on the CD? Do that and
> >> perhaps it will tell you what kind of  file/codec it is.
Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.cda
Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.ogg
Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.wav

Also, there were Lambchop - 02 - Alumni Lawn.cda .ogg .wav and,
Lambchop - 03 - Burly & Johnson.cda .ogg .wav

> use file command on one of the files on the DVD, something like this
> "file /media/cdrom0/mystrangesoundfile.wav".

These are my attempts and the results:

/dev/sdc1: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/sdc1' (No such file or directory)
steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/scd1/Lamchop - 01 - The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
/media/scd1/Lamchop: ERROR: cannot open `/media/scd1/Lamchop' (No such file or
directory)
file /media/scd1/The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
/dev/stdin:                   ASCII text
01:                  ERROR: cannot open `01' (No such file or directory)
file /media/scd1/The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
/dev/stdin:                   ASCII text
The:                 ERROR: cannot open `The' (No such file or directory)
Man:                 ERROR: cannot open `Man' (No such file or directory)
Who:                 ERROR: cannot open `Who' (No such file or directory)
Loved:               ERROR: cannot open `Loved' (No such file or directory)

steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/cdrom1/themanwholovedbeer.wav
/media/cdrom1/themanwholovedbeer.wav: ERROR: cannot open
`/media/cdrom1/themanwh
olovedbeer.wav' (No such file or directory)
steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/cdrom1/The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
/media/cdrom1/The: ERROR: cannot open `/media/cdrom1/The' (No such file or
direc                                               tory)
Man:               ERROR: cannot open `Man' (No such file or directory)
Who:               ERROR: cannot open `Who' (No such file or directory)
Loved:             ERROR: cannot open `Loved' (No such file or directory)
Beer.wav:          ERROR: cannot open `Beer.wav' (No such file or directory)
steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/cdrom1/The_Who_Loved_Beer.wav
/media/cdrom1/The_Who_Loved_Beer.wav: ERROR: cannot open
`/media/cdrom1/The_Who_
Loved_Beer.wav' (No such file or directory)

I included every attempt.

>ure file:
> $ file Angels\ Chill\ Trance\ Essentials\ B.jpg
> Angels Chill Trance Essentials B.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01

??

> What programs have you tried to play the files with?

I tried Amarok and VLC.

Steven

Re: No suitable demuxer available.

Art Alexion-3
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Steven Vollom
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.cda
> Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.ogg
> Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
>
> Also, there were Lambchop - 02 - Alumni Lawn.cda .ogg .wav and,
> Lambchop - 03 - Burly & Johnson.cda .ogg .wav
>
>> use file command on one of the files on the DVD, something like this
>> "file /media/cdrom0/mystrangesoundfile.wav".
>
> These are my attempts and the results:
>
> /dev/sdc1: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/sdc1' (No such file or directory)
> steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/scd1/Lamchop - 01 - The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
> /media/scd1/Lamchop: ERROR: cannot open `/media/scd1/Lamchop' (No such file or
> directory)
> file /media/scd1/The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
> /dev/stdin:                   ASCII text
> 01:                  ERROR: cannot open `01' (No such file or directory)
> file /media/scd1/The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
> /dev/stdin:                   ASCII text
> The:                 ERROR: cannot open `The' (No such file or directory)
> Man:                 ERROR: cannot open `Man' (No such file or directory)
> Who:                 ERROR: cannot open `Who' (No such file or directory)
> Loved:               ERROR: cannot open `Loved' (No such file or directory)
>
> steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/cdrom1/themanwholovedbeer.wav
> /media/cdrom1/themanwholovedbeer.wav: ERROR: cannot open
> `/media/cdrom1/themanwh
> olovedbeer.wav' (No such file or directory)
> steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/cdrom1/The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
> /media/cdrom1/The: ERROR: cannot open `/media/cdrom1/The' (No such file or
> direc                                               tory)
> Man:               ERROR: cannot open `Man' (No such file or directory)
> Who:               ERROR: cannot open `Who' (No such file or directory)
> Loved:             ERROR: cannot open `Loved' (No such file or directory)
> Beer.wav:          ERROR: cannot open `Beer.wav' (No such file or directory)
> steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/cdrom1/The_Who_Loved_Beer.wav
> /media/cdrom1/The_Who_Loved_Beer.wav: ERROR: cannot open
> `/media/cdrom1/The_Who_
> Loved_Beer.wav' (No such file or directory)
>
> I included every attempt.

Command line programs can't handle file and directory names with spaces.

Use either quotes:

file "/media/scd1/Lamchop - 01 - The Man Who Loved Beer.wav"

or the backslash (sometimes called the escape character) to let it
know the spaces are literal, and not separating parts of the command,
like this:

file /media/scd1/Lamchop\ \-\ 01\ \-\ The\ Man\ Who\ Loved\ Beer.wav

Are you familiar with bash-completion, and using the tab key to type
things for you?  If you use bash-completion to fill in the file name
for you, it will add the appropriate escape characters for you.

>>ure file:
>> $ file Angels\ Chill\ Trance\ Essentials\ B.jpg
>> Angels Chill Trance Essentials B.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
>
> ??

He was giving you an example (using escape characters) and the result.

>> What programs have you tried to play the files with?
>
> I tried Amarok and VLC.

vlc should play all of those formats if the files aren't defective.
Amarok should at least play cda, wav and ogg files out of the box, and
mp3 with the appropriate plugin.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface

Re: No suitable demuxer available.

Bruce Marshall
On Sunday 21 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.cda
> Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.ogg
> Lambchop - The Man Who Loved Beer.wav
>
> Also, there were Lambchop - 02 - Alumni Lawn.cda .ogg .wav and,
> Lambchop - 03 - Burly & Johnson.cda .ogg .wav

Steve:

Mplayer will play both  .ogg and .wav  files which are both audio files.

Just run mplayer against the files.

mplayer  /media/cdrom0/Lambchop\ -\ The\ Man\ Who\ Loved\ Beer.wav

Re: No suitable demuxer available.

Derek Broughton-2
Steven Vollom wrote:

>> Have you run the "file" command on the files on the CD? Do that and
>> perhaps it will tell you what kind of  file/codec it is.
>
> I typed in file /dev/sdc1 and did not get anything.

That's not a file, it's a device.
--
derek

Re: No suitable demuxer available. ** RESOLVED **

Shabakthanai
Thanks Bruce.  I have it now.

On Sunday 21 December 2008 10:54:45 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Command line programs can't handle file and directory names with spaces.
>
> I thought that as a possibility and used an underscore for the blank spaces
> on one effort.

That isn't the same.  In Linux, an underscore is a valid file name character,
so "this file.jpg" and "this_file.jpg" are different files and can co-exist
in the same directory.

Command line programs use spaces to separate or delimit parts of the command.
If a file name has spaces, the command line program sees each part of the
name as a separate part of the command. So,

file this file.jpg

is interpreted as if you are asking the "file" command for information on two
separate files, "this" and "file.jpg".  Please see my prior email on how to
handle spaces in file names when using the command line.

Hyphens can also cause problems on the command line because command line
programs have options (usually called parameters or arguments) that start
with hyphens.  Usually (but not always), single hyphens precede single letter
options (e.g. -h for help) and double hyphens precede 'word' options
(e.g. --help for help).  Your files, contained hyphens as well as spaces.

> > Are you familiar with bash-completion, and using the tab key to type
> > things for you?
>
> I don't know what you are talking about.

Bash completion is one of the nicest features of the command line.  All you
need to do is type a few of the starting letters of a file or command and hit
the tab key and bash completion will try to type the rest of the name for
you.

So

/m<tab> gives you a beep because it could be /mnt or /media
/m<tab><tab> will present you with the two choices
/me<tab> gives you /media/
/media/s<tab> beeps
/media/sc<tab> gives you /media/scd

And so on.

Once you get to
/media/scd1/01\ Lambchop\ \-\ The\ Man\ Who\ Loved\ Beer.
you notice that it puts the backslash (escape characters) in for you.

Bash-completion is simple to learn, and you will come to love and depend on
it.

> I have no understanding of the above entry.

The person who wrote it was trying to show you an expample of using the file
command.  The first line:
> >> $ file Angels\ Chill\ Trance\ Essentials\ B.jpg
is the command you would type. Notice the backslashes preceding the spaces in
the file name.  The next line
> >> Angels Chill Trance Essentials B.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
is the command out put or the answer the command gives you to the question you
asked it.  In this case, it tells you the file is a JPEG image using the JFIF
standard 1.01.

> > vlc should play all of those formats if the files aren't defective.
>
> Just after I posted, I was able to get them to play.
>
> I am anxious to learn about bash completion.  I know if I had a person
> sitting by me while I learned bash, I would be able to understand rather
> fast.  I need an answer to a thought at that moment to put things together.
>  When responses are spread out, I have trouble getting back on focus.
> Thanks for the extra information.

Hope this helped.

Re: No suitable demuxer available.

Shabakthanai
> Hope this helped.

Dear Art,

I am so very grateful.  I just know that I will be able to learn this stuff,
it is just no one has explained it as you have.  Not even in the tutorials is
it explained in a way I could grasp.

I may read more into it than exists, but now it is starting to make sense.
When you don't know the why of something, it doesn't take hold, at least in
my memory.  So when someone gives me code to paste into the command line, its
structure is more or less confusing.  If you don't know why to leave a space
or not, you may not notice the space that is left when copying the code to
the command line.  So when you attempt to recall the instruction, you may
leave out or include a space that changes the instruction.  When you fail, it
is learning failure, and confusion follows.  Do you see why I love this
forum?  It is only here that a person seems willing to take the time to
instruct those of us who are rocks, in a response time short enough for the
memory to still be fresh.

Perhaps it is because I have never had anyone to exchange conversation with
realtime.  By that, I mean, this forum is relatively quick to return help on
a problem.  Most forums you may wait a month before seeing a result.  And as
such, unless you have a great memory, it is hard to bring the original
problem back, so that you can learn from the instruction.  I wish I had a
local friend that I could talk with about Linux and computers, someone who
knew what they were doing.  This forum is second only to that.  I appreciate
you all so much.

On Monday 22 December 2008 7:40:12 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> When you don't know the why of something, it doesn't take hold, at least in
> my memory.

I think that is true for most people.  It becomes a recipe rather than a
lesson.