Quantcast

No valid fontpath found

Mike Bullen
I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid fonthpath.  I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?

Thank you
Mike Bullen

Re: No valid fontpath found

Wulfy
Mike Bullen wrote:
I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid fonthpath.  I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?

Thank you
Mike Bullen
Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop, Xubuntu-desktop...]

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Re: No valid fontpath found

Gerald Dachs-2
Quoting Wulfy <[hidden email]>:

> Mike Bullen wrote:
>> I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed
>> xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid
>>  fonthpath.  I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still
>> cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Mike Bullen
> Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop, Xubuntu-desktop...]

I don't believe that Mike would have chosen the server version if he want
to have all the desktop stuff.

Mike, I had success after installing the meta package x-window-system-core.
It depends on all packages you need for running startx.

Gerald

Re: No valid fontpath found

Wulfy
Gerald Dachs wrote:
Quoting Wulfy [hidden email]:

Mike Bullen wrote:

I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed
xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid
 fonthpath.  I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still
cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?

Thank you
Mike Bullen

Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop, Xubuntu-desktop...]

I don't believe that Mike would have chosen the server version if he want
to have all the desktop stuff.

Mike, I had success after installing the meta package x-window-system-core.
It depends on all packages you need for running startx.

Gerald
My mistake.  I assumed a desktop was needed to use X... so if he didn't want a desktop, he wouldn't be installing X...

Quoting Wulfy <[hidden email]>:

> Gerald Dachs wrote:
>> Quoting Wulfy <[hidden email]>:

>>> Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop, Xubuntu-desktop...]
>>>

>> I don't believe that Mike would have chosen the server version if he want
>> to have all the desktop stuff.
>>
>> Mike, I had success after installing the meta package x-window-system-core.
>> It depends on all packages you need for running startx.
>>
>> Gerald
> My mistake.  I assumed a desktop was needed to use X... so if he didn't
> want a desktop, he wouldn't be installing X...

I have set up an ubuntu minimal installation with a minimal X installation
for a Video Disk Recorder. The only X applications are
xineliboutput-sxfe and mms that can be found here:
http://mymediasystem.org/.

I tell this only to give you an example for a X installation without desktop.

Gerald