Quantcast

No virtual desktop config in System Settings->Desktop Behavior

No virtual desktop config in System Settings->Desktop Behavior

David L-2
Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 16.10 (64 bit) with KDE (I first installed Ubuntu
and then the KDE environment due to some installation problem with the
kubuntu iso).  When I open the Desktop Behavior entry under System
Settings, I don't have an option to configure Virtual Desktops from my
user account that I have been using under 16.04 and older.  From a new
user account, I do have the Virtual Desktop option, but I'd like to be
able to retain my KDE panel settings from my old account and be able
to configure user desktops.

My options under System Settings->Workspace are:
Workspace
Desktop Effects
Screen Edges
Screen Locking
Accessibility
Activities

Any idea why the Virtual Desktop config is missing?

Thanks,

     David

Re: No virtual desktop config in System Settings->Desktop Behavior

Rik Mills-2
What happens if you run in a terminal?

kcmshell5 desktop

have you the package 'kwin-data' installed?

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What happens if you run in a terminal?
>
> kcmshell5 desktop
Could not find module 'desktop'. See kcmshell5 --list for the full
list of modules.

> have you the package 'kwin-data' installed?
Yes.

Here is what I get for kcmshell5 --list
The following modules are available:
about-distro               - Information About This System
autostart                  - Automatically Started Applications
bluedeviladapters          - Bluetooth Adapters
bluedevildevices           - Bluetooth Devices
bluedevilglobal            - Advanced Bluetooth Settings
breezedecorationconfig     - Modify the appearance of window decorations
breezestyleconfig          - Modify the appearance of widgets
cache                      - Configure web cache settings
clock                      - Date and Time
colors                     - Application Color Scheme
componentchooser           - Default Applications
cookies                    - Configure the way cookies work
cursortheme                - Mouse Cursor Theme
desktoppath                - Location for Personal Files
device_automounter_kcm     - Configure automatic handling of removable
storage media
devinfo                    - Device Viewer
dma                        - DMA information
emoticons                  - Emoticon Theme
filetypes                  - Configure file associations
fontinst                   - Font Installation, Preview and Removal
fonts                      - Fonts
formats                    - Numeric, Currency and Time Formats
icons                      - Icon Theme
interrupts                 - Interrupt information
ioports                    - IO-port information
joystick                   - Joystick
kamera                     - Configure Kamera
kcm_activities             - Activities help you to focus on a specific task
kcm_baloofile              - Configure File Search
kcm_desktoptheme           - Desktop Theme
kcm_driver_manager         - Driver management software
kcm_energyinfo             - Energy Consumption Statistics
kcm_fileindexermonitor     - Monitor State of File Indexer
kcm_kaccounts              - Configure your internet accounts such as
Google, Live, Owncloud
kcm_kdeconnect             - Connect and sync your devices
kcm_keyboard               - Keyboard Hardware and Layout
kcm_kscreen                - Manage and configure monitors and displays
kcm_ktp_integration_module - General settings for Instant Messaging and VoIP
kcm_lookandfeel            - Look And Feel
kcm_memory                 - Memory information
kcm_notificationhelper     - Control the notifications for system helpers
kcm_pci                    - PCI information
kcm_phonon                 - Phonon Audio and Video
kcm_plasmasearch           - Configure Search
kcm_printer_manager        - Configure your printers
kcm_pulseaudio             - Configure the Audio Volume
kcm_sddm                   - Select login theme
kcm_splashscreen           - Splash Screen Theme
kcm_ssl                    - SSL Versions and Certificates
kcm_touchpad               - Touchpad settings
kcm_whoopsie               - Automatic Crash and Metrics Reporting
kcmaccess                  - Accessibility Options
kcmdolphingeneral          - Configure general file manager settings
kcmdolphinnavigation       - Configure file manager navigation
kcmdolphinservices         - Configure file manager services
kcmdolphinviewmodes        - Configure file manager view modes
kcmkded                    - Background Services
kcmkwineffects             - Desktop Effects
kcmlaunch                  - Application Launch Feedback
kcmnotify                  - Event Notifications and Actions
kcmsmserver                - Desktop Session Login and Logout
kcmtrash                   - Configure trash settings
kcmusb                     - USB devices attached to this computer
kcmview1394                - Attached IEEE 1394 devices
keys                       - Global Keyboard Shortcuts
kgamma                     - A monitor calibration tool
khotkeys                   - Configure Input Actions settings
kwalletconfig5             - KDE Wallet Configuration
kwincompositing            - Compositor Settings for Desktop Effects
kwindecoration             - Look and Feel of Window Titles
kwinoptions                - Window Actions and Behavior
kwinrules                  - Individual Window Behavior
kwinscreenedges            - Active Screen Corners and Edges
kwinscripts                - Manage KWin scripts
kwintabbox                 - Navigation Through Windows
mouse                      - Mouse Controls
netpref                    - Configure generic network preferences,
like timeout values
nic                        - Network interface information
opengl                     - OpenGL information
oxygenstyleconfig          - Modify the appearance of widgets
powerdevilactivitiesconfig - Per-Activity Power Management
powerdevilglobalconfig     - Advanced Power Management Settings
powerdevilprofilesconfig   - Energy Saving
proxy                      - Configure the proxy servers used
screenlocker               - Screen Locking Timeouts
smb                        - Use to configure which windows (SMB)
filesystems you can browse
smbstatus                  - Samba status monitor
solid-actions              - Manage actions available to the user when
connecting new devices
spellchecking              - Spell Checker Dictionaries and Options
standard_actions           - Standard Keyboard Shortcuts for Applications
style                      - Widget Style and Behavior
translations               - No description available
user_manager               - Add, remove or edit system users
useragent                  - Configure the way Konqueror reports itself
wayland                    - Information about the Wayland Compositor
webshortcuts               - Configure web shortcuts
workspaceoptions           - Workspace Behavior
xserver                    - X-Server information

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 16.10 (64 bit) with KDE (I first installed Ubuntu
> and then the KDE environment due to some installation problem with the
> kubuntu iso).  When I open the Desktop Behavior entry under System
> Settings, I don't have an option to configure Virtual Desktops from my
> user account that I have been using under 16.04 and older.  From a new
> user account, I do have the Virtual Desktop option, but I'd like to be
> able to retain my KDE panel settings from my old account and be able
> to configure user desktops.
>
> My options under System Settings->Workspace are:
> Workspace
> Desktop Effects
> Screen Edges
> Screen Locking
> Accessibility
> Activities

One other thing... if I right click on my pager in the panel and
select "Configure Desktops", nothing happens.