Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Liam Proven
I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.

It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.

But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
will not boot.

Is there a non-PAE kernel available?

If not, I am perfectly able to compile my own - but how to
install/upgrade the rest of the OS?

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Tom H-4
On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.
>
> It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.
>
> But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
> will not boot.
>
> Is there a non-PAE kernel available?
>
> If not, I am perfectly able to compile my own - but how to
> install/upgrade the rest of the OS?

How about apt-pinning linux-image and linux-generic with a priority of
"-1", compiling a kernel, and upgrading?

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Liam Proven
On 20 November 2012 14:55, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.
>>
>> It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.
>>
>> But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
>> will not boot.
>>
>> Is there a non-PAE kernel available?
>>
>> If not, I am perfectly able to compile my own - but how to
>> install/upgrade the rest of the OS?
>
> How about apt-pinning linux-image and linux-generic with a priority of
> "-1", compiling a kernel, and upgrading?

Pardon a silly question or two...

[1] will a pinned package survive a distribution upgrade? I did not realise.

[2] the hand-built kernel would be as a standby, right? Or would it be
the main one and the pinned one the standby or something of that ilk?

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 November 2012 14:55, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.
>>>
>>> It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.
>>>
>>> But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
>>> will not boot.
>>>
>>> Is there a non-PAE kernel available?
>>>
>>> If not, I am perfectly able to compile my own - but how to
>>> install/upgrade the rest of the OS?
>>
>> How about apt-pinning linux-image and linux-generic with a priority of
>> "-1", compiling a kernel, and upgrading?
>
> [1] will a pinned package survive a distribution upgrade? I did not realise.
>
> [2] the hand-built kernel would be as a standby, right? Or would it be
> the main one and the pinned one the standby or something of that ilk?

1) Yes. The update uses apt as a backend and it's a safer and fancier
"apt-get dist-upgrade" after changing "/etc/apt/sources.list".

2) I assumed that you wanted to use a more recent, self-compiled
kernel but, yes, you can use it as a standby too.

Two more pinning thoughts:

You might want to pin linux-headers and linux-headers-generic too, for
completeness.

You have to pin every package thrice; for precise, precise-updates,
and precise-security.

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

NoOp-4
On 11/20/2012 04:30 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.
>
> It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.
>
> But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
> will not boot.
>
> Is there a non-PAE kernel available?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-generic

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Colin Law-4
On 20 November 2012 21:55, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/20/2012 04:30 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.
>>
>> It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.
>>
>> But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
>> will not boot.
>>
>> Is there a non-PAE kernel available?
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-generic

Are you sure that is not the pae version?  I think generic and
generic-pae are the same in quantal

Colin

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

NoOp-4
On 11/20/2012 02:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 20 November 2012 21:55, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/20/2012 04:30 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>> I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.
>>>
>>> It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.
>>>
>>> But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
>>> will not boot.
>>>
>>> Is there a non-PAE kernel available?
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-generic

Forgot to add:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-image-generic
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-headers-generic
Note that both amd64 and i386 are supported and available.

> Are you sure that is not the pae version?  I think generic and
> generic-pae are the same in quantal

That would be:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-generic-pae
Note that only i386 is available (for obvious reasons)

PAE on i386 is the default. However, there should be no reason that Liam
can't install and run the non-pae kernel (well except if his Thinkpad
X31 can't support a newer kernel).

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

NoOp-4
On 11/20/2012 03:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 02:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-generic
>
> Forgot to add:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-image-generic
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-headers-generic
> Note that both amd64 and i386 are supported and available.
>

>> Are you sure that is not the pae version?  I think generic and
>> generic-pae are the same in quantal
>
> That would be:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-generic-pae
> Note that only i386 is available (for obvious reasons)
>
> PAE on i386 is the default. However, there should be no reason that Liam
> can't install and run the non-pae kernel (well except if his Thinkpad
> X31 can't support a newer kernel).

Then again... maybe not:
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/182048/will-it-be-possible-to-use-a-non-pae-kernel-in-12-10>

<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~webtom/+junk/linux-image-i386-non-pae/files>

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

NoOp-4
On 11/20/2012 02:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 20 November 2012 21:55, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/20/2012 04:30 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>> I'd like to upgrade Lubuntu 12.04 on my old Thinkpad X31.
>>>
>>> It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM, so not too slow.
>>>
>>> But the Pentium-M doesn't support PAE so the generic kernel in 12.10
>>> will not boot.
>>>
>>> Is there a non-PAE kernel available?
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/linux-generic
>
> Are you sure that is not the pae version?  I think generic and
> generic-pae are the same in quantal

Apologies & you are correct (see my other posts). Found the 'deciding' memo:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-May/035176.html

> Quantal: End of the line for i386 non-PAE
> Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
> Wed May 2 14:57:10 UTC 2012

> As decided by the Tech Board, 12.04 is the last release to have the i386
> non-PAE kernel flavour. So, how do we upgrade folks ? IIRC a non-PAE
> kernel was installed because 1) there was less then 4GB RAM, or 2) their
> CPU did not have PAE support.
>
> The folks in case 2 are simply out of luck (and no longer supported).
>
> I have removed the non-PAE kernel meta package from Quantal that would
> allow a non-PAE upgrade. Its likely that folks attempting an upgrade to
> Quantal will be left with a Precise kernel.
>
> Any ideas on how we might allow PAE capable CPUs to upgrade? Is this the
> job of update-manager ? It seems likely that Debian must have
> encountered this issue before.
>
> rtg
> --
> Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com

And according to a followup, an upgrade is supposed to stop if the
system can't use PAE:

@Liam: maybe try the non-pae kernel from the other links:

<http://askubuntu.com/questions/182048/will-it-be-possible-to-use-a-non-pae-kernel-in-12-10>
<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~webtom/+junk/linux-image-i386-non-pae/files>
<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~webtom/+junk/linux-image-i386-non-pae/view/head:/README>

Personally, I'd just stick with 12.04...

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Liam Proven
On 21 November 2012 03:30, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies & you are correct (see my other posts). Found the 'deciding' memo:

I was going to correct you, but I see that you've saved me the bother.

Yes, the non-PAE kernel has been dropped altogether from 12.10.

I and quite a few other Pentium-M and Centrino v1 owners are not very
happy about this. OK, fair enough, almost all the other chips that
can't do PAE are really old - mostly from the 1990s and realistically
too old for Ubuntu (except possibly Lubuntu). However, the Pentium M
and even some Core/Core2-era Celeron chips - well over 1GHz-class,
more than able to run current Ubuntu versions just fine - are now
excluded.

This was a poor decision, made by people who did not realise how many
recent CPUs, some well under 4-5yo, do not support PAE.

I feel that for people with >3GB of RAM, the recommendation now should
have been to go 64-bit, not PAE.

But /alea jacta est/. It's too late. It is now PAE or nothing.

I am wondering if I could actually create a PPA myself and build a
non-PAE kernel and put it in there. I don't have the skills but I am
sure I could learn.

Building the kernel I can do. It's packaging it & creating a PPA I
know nothing about.

Thoughts, hints and guidance welcome.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

On 21 November 2012 03:30, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personally, I'd just stick with 12.04...

Regarding this - I am not sure that *Lubuntu* 12.04 is in fact an LTS
release. I know that Lubuntu 10.04 was *not* an LTS.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, the non-PAE kernel has been dropped altogether from 12.10.
>
> I and quite a few other Pentium-M and Centrino v1 owners are not very
> happy about this. OK, fair enough, almost all the other chips that
> can't do PAE are really old - mostly from the 1990s and realistically
> too old for Ubuntu (except possibly Lubuntu). However, the Pentium M
> and even some Core/Core2-era Celeron chips - well over 1GHz-class,
> more than able to run current Ubuntu versions just fine - are now
> excluded.
>
> This was a poor decision, made by people who did not realise how many
> recent CPUs, some well under 4-5yo, do not support PAE.
>
> I feel that for people with >3GB of RAM, the recommendation now should
> have been to go 64-bit, not PAE.
>
> But /alea jacta est/. It's too late. It is now PAE or nothing.
>
> I am wondering if I could actually create a PPA myself and build a
> non-PAE kernel and put it in there. I don't have the skills but I am
> sure I could learn.
>
> Building the kernel I can do. It's packaging it & creating a PPA I
> know nothing about.

Some people wanted to drop it for 12.04:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-November/034399.html

I don't know anything about PPAs but Launchpad or the Ubuntu wiki must
have instructions.

I don't think that you can have PPA debs built on Ubuntu build
servers, so you'll have to build your package in a clean install
before uploading it.

I build kernel packages in a chroot populated with debootstrap and
apt-get. Using pbuilder or sbuild is probably more correct but AFAICT
they're meant to be used with debianized sources so I don't use them.

Building a kernel package isn't much more complicated than compiling a
kernel with "make". In both cases, the most complex step's "make
*config". Since you just want to rebuild an Ubuntu pae kernel as
non-pae, you have to change that particular kernel config parameter,
which is "Processor type and features" >> "High Memory Support" >>
"4GB".

I've moved from using "make-kpkg" to "make deb-pkg" to build kernel
packages. The former needs fakeroot (according to the various howtos
that I read when I first started using it and I've never tried using
it without it) so I'm using fakeroot with the latter. I've never used
fakeroot with a straight "make" so I don't know whether it makes sense
to use it for "make deb-pkg". I don't use fakeroot with "make rpm-pkg"
but maybe there's a step in the creation of debs that needs root
perms...

I build kernels with the command below from upstream/pristine sources
rather than Ubuntu ones but you should be able to use (or at least
inspire yourself from) it:

CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) DEBFULLNAME="Tom H"
DEBEMAIL="[hidden email]" KDEB_PKGVERSION="3.7.0.0-9h" fakeroot
make deb-pkg

This creates "linux-image-3.7.0-rc6_3.7.0.0-9h_amd64.deb" (as well as
linux-headers, linux-firmware-image, and linux-libc-dev debs).

Had I added "-t1" to "-rc6" on the "EXTRAVERSION" line at the top of
"./Makefile", the deb's name would've been
"linux-image-3.7.0-rc6-t1_3.7.0.0-9h_amd64.deb".

("-t1" and "-9h" are just for illustration purposes!)

I don't put "3.7.0.0-" in KDEB_PKGVERSION when I do a build, in which
case the debs' names are "linux-image-3.7.0-rc6_9h_amd64.deb" or
"linux-image-3.7.0-rc6-t1_9h_amd64.deb". I added it above because
Ubuntu names its kernel packages this way (more or less!), so I
thought that I'd follow that model in my example. The latest raring
kernel package is "linux-image-3.7.0-3-generic_3.7.0-3.9_amd64.deb".

If you'd rather not build the linux-headers, linux-firmware-image, and
linux-libc-dev debs, you can edit the "builddeb" script
("./scripts/package/builddeb"). The edits are pretty straightforward.

You also use "make-kpkg" in order to build a kernel package; it works
perfectly well but it's "effectively unmaintained" according to a
Debian kernel developer. Should you nonetheless want to use it, you
can run the following after setting your name and email address in
"/etc/kernel-pkg.conf":

CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) fakeroot make-kpkg
--append-to-version -t1 --revision 3.7.0.0-9h --initrd kernel_image

You can set the revision in "/etc/kernel-pkg.conf". If you don't set
it in this file or within the command, it defaults to
"<kernelversion>-10.00.Custom". AFAIR (I only tried it once, a while
ago), if you don't set "KDEB_PKGVERSION" when you run "make deb-pkg",
it defaults to "1". AFAIR!

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Tom H-4
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> linux-libc-dev debs, you can edit the "builddeb" script
> ("./scripts/package/builddeb"). The edits are pretty straightforward.
>
> You also use "make-kpkg" in order to build a kernel package; it works
> perfectly well but it's "effectively unmaintained" according to a
> Debian kernel developer. Should you nonetheless want to use it, you
> can run the following after setting your name and email address in
> "/etc/kernel-pkg.conf":
>
> CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) fakeroot make-kpkg
> --append-to-version -t1 --revision 3.7.0.0-9h --initrd kernel_image
>
> You can set the revision in "/etc/kernel-pkg.conf". If you don't set
> it in this file or within the command, it defaults to
> "<kernelversion>-10.00.Custom". AFAIR (I only tried it once, a while
> ago), if you don't set "KDEB_PKGVERSION" when you run "make deb-pkg",

"make deb-pkg" must be run with fakeroot. You can run "...
KBUILD_PKG_ROOTCMD=fakeroot make deb-pkg" rather than the above "...
fakeroot make deb-pkg".

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

volker

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

On 22 November 2012 16:47, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> You also use "make-kpkg" in order to build a kernel package; it works
>> perfectly well but it's "effectively unmaintained" according to a
>> Debian kernel developer. Should you nonetheless want to use it, you
>> can run the following after setting your name and email address in
>> "/etc/kernel-pkg.conf":
>>
>> CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) fakeroot make-kpkg
>> --append-to-version -t1 --revision 3.7.0.0-9h --initrd kernel_image
>>
>> You can set the revision in "/etc/kernel-pkg.conf". If you don't set
>> it in this file or within the command, it defaults to
>> "<kernelversion>-10.00.Custom". AFAIR (I only tried it once, a while
>> ago), if you don't set "KDEB_PKGVERSION" when you run "make deb-pkg",
>> it defaults to "1". AFAIR!
>
> "make deb-pkg" must be run with fakeroot. You can run "...
> KBUILD_PKG_ROOTCMD=fakeroot make deb-pkg" rather than the above "...

Thanks for the info.

I must admit, that sounds /very/ daunting and rather scary to me, but
I will try it when time permits & see if I can wrap my head around it.

TBH, at the moment, switching to Debian is more appealing... O_o

(Although judging from Linux Mint Debian Edition on that machine, I
would have to run the 486 kernel. :¬( )

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

volker
the following procedure appears to be simple: upgrade lubuntu 12.04 ->12.10 whereby you use "apt pinning" for all packages related with the kernel (image, headers, meta package), e.g. you stick with the 3.2 non-PAE kernel. Once the upgrade to 12.10 has finished, remove "apt pinning" and install the non-PAE 3.5 kernel from the mentioned PPA.

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Liam Proven
On 23 November 2012 11:43, volker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> the following procedure appears to be simple: upgrade lubuntu 12.04 ->12.10
> whereby you use "apt pinning" for all packages related with the kernel
> (image, headers, meta package), e.g. you stick with the 3.2 non-PAE kernel.
> Once the upgrade to 12.10 has finished, remove "apt pinning" and install the
> non-PAE 3.5 kernel from the mentioned PPA.

I think you misunderstand.

There *is no* PPA. I was discussing /creating/ a PPA.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

volker
I hope to understand your problem!

You may still consider to follow my suggested procedure for the upgrade 12.04 -> 12.10. In order to do the kernel update from 3.2 to 3.5, install the .deb files from the following link (from my previous post):

https://code.launchpad.net/~webtom/+junk/linux-image-i386-non-pae

Does that make things clearer?

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Liam Proven
On 23 November 2012 12:46, volker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope to understand your problem!
>
> You may still consider to follow my suggested procedure for the upgrade
> 12.04 -> 12.10. In order to do the kernel update from 3.2 to 3.5, install
> the .deb files from the following link (from my previous post):
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~webtom/+junk/linux-image-i386-non-pae
>
> Does that make things clearer?

Yes it does! Thank you.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Colin Law-4
On 23 November 2012 12:46, volker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope to understand your problem!
>
> You may still consider to follow my suggested procedure for the upgrade
> 12.04 -> 12.10. In order to do the kernel update from 3.2 to 3.5, install
> the .deb files from the following link (from my previous post):
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~webtom/+junk/linux-image-i386-non-pae

I believe that it is possible to update using a live CD/USB image.  If
so then, rather than pinning the kernel, could one make a non-pae
12.10 image as described in the link, then use that to upgrade from
12.04 to 12.10 on the target machine?

Colin