Notes about translation of Ubuntu 18.04

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi all!

2.5 weeks left until final freeze, and I'd like to call your attention
to a few things.

The translation coverage of the snapd package (the snappy template) is
poor in many languages. Some issues with the translation template have
probably contributed to that, but also the fact that the template has
had too low priority in the Launchpad interface. I have raised the
priority, so now the snappy template is shown on the first page of the
translation overview for respective language, for instance:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+lang/gl

It should be noted that Launchpad is upstream for the snapd translations.

After the switch to GNOME, some of the core GNOME packages are more
important than when Unity was default in Ubuntu. The GNOME packages are
translated upstream, and in many cases the upstream translations are
simply imported to LP and added to our language packs and there is not
much to do for the translators on the Ubuntu side.

But..

Some of the GNOME packages have Ubuntu modifications with translatable
strings which have to be translated via Launchpad.

gnome-software
gnome-control-center
gnome-online-accounts
gnome-session

I'm sure there are more of the kind, but the ones mentioned are some of
the most important. (Also, due to various packaging issues some of the
Ubuntu specific strings have been made available at Launchpad just
recently.)

It may consequently be a good idea to review the Launchpad translation
overview and look for GNOME templates with untranslated strings, even
for packages which you know are fully translated upstream.

As regards the Ubuntu Desktop Guide: As mentioned previously, the
desktop guide now consists to >90% of pages from the gnome-user-docs and
gnome-getting-started-docs packages, which are translated upstream only.
The ubuntu-docs package (template ubuntu-help), which adds a few pages,
is translated at LP, though.

That's it for now. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications. And,
if you encounter Ubuntu issues when translating, please file bug reports
against the ubuntu-translations project.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Notes about translation of Ubuntu 18.04

Ask Hjorth Larsen
Hi Gunnar,

> Hi all!
>
> 2.5 weeks left until final freeze, and I'd like to call your attention to a
> few things.
>
> The translation coverage of the snapd package (the snappy template) is poor
> in many languages. Some issues with the translation template have probably
> contributed to that, but also the fact that the template has had too low
> priority in the Launchpad interface. I have raised the priority, so now the
> snappy template is shown on the first page of the translation overview for
> respective language, for instance:
>
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+lang/gl
>
> It should be noted that Launchpad is upstream for the snapd translations.
>
> After the switch to GNOME, some of the core GNOME packages are more
> important than when Unity was default in Ubuntu. The GNOME packages are
> translated upstream, and in many cases the upstream translations are simply
> imported to LP and added to our language packs and there is not much to do
> for the translators on the Ubuntu side.
>
> But..
>
> Some of the GNOME packages have Ubuntu modifications with translatable
> strings which have to be translated via Launchpad.
>
> gnome-software
> gnome-control-center
> gnome-online-accounts
> gnome-session

Thank you very much for this useful information.

One question: Is there a way to see, or to know by means of some
public schedule, at what time imports will be done from upstream to
Launchpad?  The idea is to know whether to upload a translation
manually or simply wait for an automatic process.  We can upload our
upstream translations manually, but that's a lot of work when there
many modules.

Best regards
Ask

Re: Notes about translation of Ubuntu 18.04

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Ask!

On 2018-04-01 22:05, Ask Hjorth Larsen wrote:

>> After the switch to GNOME, some of the core GNOME packages are
>> more important than when Unity was default in Ubuntu. The GNOME
>> packages are translated upstream, and in many cases the upstream
>> translations are simply imported to LP and added to our language
>> packs and there is not much to do for the translators on the Ubuntu
>> side.
>>
>> But..
>>
>> Some of the GNOME packages have Ubuntu modifications with
>> translatable strings which have to be translated via Launchpad.
>>
>> gnome-software
>> gnome-control-center
>> gnome-online-accounts
>> gnome-session
>
> Thank you very much for this useful information.
>
> One question: Is there a way to see, or to know by means of some
> public schedule, at what time imports will be done from upstream to
> Launchpad?  The idea is to know whether to upload a translation
> manually or simply wait for an automatic process.  We can upload our
> upstream translations manually, but that's a lot of work when there
> many modules.

I wish I could say there is, but I'm afraid I can't.

For many (most?) GNOME packages, both template updates and translation
imports from upstream happen when respective package is uploaded to
Ubuntu. Unless the upstream .po file is complete at that time, the
untranslated strings in the LP interface may include both upstream and
Ubuntu specific strings.

The information about in which file a string is located may serve as
guidance, admittedly not always easy to interpret, in this respect.

Some packages are set up so the translations are synced with upstream
and thus LP is continually updated with upstream translations. But
AFAIU, the problem with distinguishing between upstream and Ubuntu
specific strings is present also for those packages.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Notes about translation of Ubuntu 18.04

Simos Xenitellis-4
Hi Gunnar,

Do the daily ISOs get the exported Launchpad translations of the previous day?
If not, when do the translations make it to the daily ISOs?

Simos

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 10:25 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> 2.5 weeks left until final freeze, and I'd like to call your attention to a
> few things.
>
> The translation coverage of the snapd package (the snappy template) is poor
> in many languages. Some issues with the translation template have probably
> contributed to that, but also the fact that the template has had too low
> priority in the Launchpad interface. I have raised the priority, so now the
> snappy template is shown on the first page of the translation overview for
> respective language, for instance:
>
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+lang/gl
>
> It should be noted that Launchpad is upstream for the snapd translations.
>
> After the switch to GNOME, some of the core GNOME packages are more
> important than when Unity was default in Ubuntu. The GNOME packages are
> translated upstream, and in many cases the upstream translations are simply
> imported to LP and added to our language packs and there is not much to do
> for the translators on the Ubuntu side.
>
> But..
>
> Some of the GNOME packages have Ubuntu modifications with translatable
> strings which have to be translated via Launchpad.
>
> gnome-software
> gnome-control-center
> gnome-online-accounts
> gnome-session
>
> I'm sure there are more of the kind, but the ones mentioned are some of the
> most important. (Also, due to various packaging issues some of the Ubuntu
> specific strings have been made available at Launchpad just recently.)
>
> It may consequently be a good idea to review the Launchpad translation
> overview and look for GNOME templates with untranslated strings, even for
> packages which you know are fully translated upstream.
>
> As regards the Ubuntu Desktop Guide: As mentioned previously, the desktop
> guide now consists to >90% of pages from the gnome-user-docs and
> gnome-getting-started-docs packages, which are translated upstream only. The
> ubuntu-docs package (template ubuntu-help), which adds a few pages, is
> translated at LP, though.
>
> That's it for now. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications. And, if
> you encounter Ubuntu issues when translating, please file bug reports
> against the ubuntu-translations project.
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Notes about translation of Ubuntu 18.04

Simos Xenitellis-4
Hi Gunnar,

For those languages that have nouns with a genitive form (usually
Eastern European languages),
they can update for date format strings to appear more natural.
The locale files have been autoupdated a few months ago, and the
changes are in 18.04.
This has been posted here a few months ago as well.

In a nutshell, the genitive form of a noun like "April" is a single
word in Greek and looks like "Apriliou".
In English, the genitive form is not a single word, it's "of April".
In Ubuntu 16.04, the locale for the full month name in Greek was
"April" (Απρίλης).
In Ubuntu 18.04, the new locale has "Apriliou" (Απριλίου) instead.

I do not have the definitive list of the locations of the date format strings.

On 2018-04-02 23:37, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Do the daily ISOs get the exported Launchpad translations of the
> previous day?

No.

> If not, when do the translations make it to the daily ISOs?

New language packs are created weekly during the development cycle. So
once such a langpack update has landed, the next 7 (or so) daily ISOs
will carry those langpacks.

On 2018-04-02 23:48, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> For those languages that have nouns with a genitive form (usually
> Eastern European languages), they can update for date format strings
> to appear more natural. The locale files have been autoupdated a few
> months ago, and the changes are in 18.04.
> This has been posted here a few months ago as well.
>
> In a nutshell, the genitive form of a noun like "April" is a single
> word in Greek and looks like "Apriliou".
> In English, the genitive form is not a single word, it's "of April".
> In Ubuntu 16.04, the locale for the full month name in Greek was
> "April" (Απρίλης).
> In Ubuntu 18.04, the new locale has "Apriliou" (Απριλίου) instead.
>
> I do not have the definitive list of the locations of the date format
> strings.

Thanks for that info!

Just run this command:

$ LC_TIME=el_GR.UTF-8 locale alt_mon
Ιανουάριος;Φεβρουάριος;Μάρτιος;Απρίλιος;Μάιος;Ιούνιος;Ιούλιος;Αύγουστος;Σεπτέμβριος;Οκτώβριος;Νοέμβριος;Δεκέμβριος

Do you know if there is a strftime() conversion specification available
yet, similar to %B, which refers to this new alt_mon component in the
locale definitions?

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 3:12 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-04-02 23:48, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> For those languages that have nouns with a genitive form (usually
>> Eastern European languages), they can update for date format strings
>> to appear more natural. The locale files have been autoupdated a few
>> months ago, and the changes are in 18.04.
>> This has been posted here a few months ago as well.
>>
>> In a nutshell, the genitive form of a noun like "April" is a single
>> word in Greek and looks like "Apriliou".
>> In English, the genitive form is not a single word, it's "of April".
>> In Ubuntu 16.04, the locale for the full month name in Greek was
>> "April" (Απρίλης).
>> In Ubuntu 18.04, the new locale has "Apriliou" (Απριλίου) instead.
>>
>> I do not have the definitive list of the locations of the date format
>> strings.
>

> Thanks for that info!
>
> Just run this command:
>
> $ LC_TIME=el_GR.UTF-8 locale alt_mon
> Ιανουάριος;Φεβρουάριος;Μάρτιος;Απρίλιος;Μάιος;Ιούνιος;Ιούλιος;Αύγουστος;Σεπτέμβριος;Οκτώβριος;Νοέμβριος;Δεκέμβριος
>
> Do you know if there is a strftime() conversion specification available yet,
> similar to %B, which refers to this new alt_mon component in the locale
> definitions?

There is a GNU extension for glibc2 for this, and it's "%OB" (that's a
capital "o"). That is, a modifier is added to get the alternate month
name.
This was added in glibc 2.27, and it's in Ubuntu 18.04.

Overall, quoting from
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Formatting-Calendar-Time.html
:

"An optional modifier can follow the optional flag and width
specification. The modifiers, which were first standardized by
POSIX.2-1992 and by ISO C99, are:
   E    Use the locale’s alternate representation for date and time.
This modifier applies to the %c, %C, %x, %X, %y and %Y format
specifiers. In a Japanese locale, for example, %Ex might yield a date
format based on the Japanese Emperors’ reigns.
   O    With all format specifiers that produce numbers: use the
locale’s alternate numeric symbols.

   With %B, %b, and %h: use the grammatical form for month names that
is appropriate when the month is named by itself, rather than the form
that is appropriate when the month is used as part of a complete date.
This is a GNU extension."

Things to look for:

1. In previous versions of Ubuntu, %B is the month name in the nominative case.
In Ubuntu 18.04 (glibc2.27 or newer), %B is the month name in the
genitive case. %OB is the month name in the nominative case.

That is, %B has changed in its use. The reason is that %OB was already
implemented that way in FreeBSD,
so glibc2 did the switch as well for compatibility.

2. GCC currently emits a warning when it sees the %OB format, when you
compile code.
It is the code in GCC that checks for security issues in format
strings, and has not been updated yet.

3. The 'date' command does not support yet the %OB format. Apparently,
`date` does not pass the format verbatim to strftime(),

$ date "+%OB %B"
%OB Απριλίου

Simos

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:20 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-04-02 23:37, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> Do the daily ISOs get the exported Launchpad translations of the
>> previous day?
>

> No.
>
>> If not, when do the translations make it to the daily ISOs?
>

> New language packs are created weekly during the development cycle. So once
> such a langpack update has landed, the next 7 (or so) daily ISOs will carry
> those langpacks.

Thanks.

To check if there is a new language pack, I do (now):

myusername@vbox:~$ apt policy language-pack-el
language-pack-el:
  Εγκατεστημένα: 1:18.04+20180322
  Υποψήφιο:      1:18.04+20180329
  Πίνακας Έκδοσης:
     1:18.04+20180329 500
        500 http://gr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://gr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
 *** 1:18.04+20180322 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
myusername@vbox:~$

It says that I have installed the 2018-03-22 version, and there is a
new version 2018-03-29 waiting to be installed.

Simos