OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Phil
I know this is off topic but I don't know where else to ask.

I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that gets
it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I need is an
Ethernet to wireless converter. I've looked at a couple of options from
EBay but I cannot quite see how a wireless connection can be set. Maybe
two wireless devices are required, one at the router and the other at
the video recorder?

Does anyone have experience with Ethernet to wireless converters?

Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm that my
network will still work by simply pulling out the phone line plug
because the router automatically falls back to a mobile phone network
connection.

Thank you for all advice offered.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Wade Smart-2
You do not need any internet connection for any of that except
your video recorder. If you are using your cellular service as your
only internet - that gets a bit interesting. You can get cellular hotspot
modems and allow ONLY your recorder to get programming info.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:34 PM Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I know this is off topic but I don't know where else to ask.
>
> I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
> Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that gets
> it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I need is an
> Ethernet to wireless converter. I've looked at a couple of options from
> EBay but I cannot quite see how a wireless connection can be set. Maybe
> two wireless devices are required, one at the router and the other at
> the video recorder?
>
> Does anyone have experience with Ethernet to wireless converters?
>
> Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
> Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
> still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm that my
> network will still work by simply pulling out the phone line plug
> because the router automatically falls back to a mobile phone network
> connection.
>
> Thank you for all advice offered.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Phil
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Peter Silva
In reply to this post by Phil
google *using raspberry pi as a bridge"
That's using wifi to extend ethernet... this is the same thing but backwards.
about the third hit, I got here:




On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:32 PM Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know this is off topic but I don't know where else to ask.

I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that gets
it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I need is an
Ethernet to wireless converter. I've looked at a couple of options from
EBay but I cannot quite see how a wireless connection can be set. Maybe
two wireless devices are required, one at the router and the other at
the video recorder?

Does anyone have experience with Ethernet to wireless converters?

Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm that my
network will still work by simply pulling out the phone line plug
because the router automatically falls back to a mobile phone network
connection.

Thank you for all advice offered.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Phil
On 16/4/19 10:00 am, Peter Silva wrote:
> google *using raspberry pi as a bridge"
> That's using wifi to extend ethernet... this is the same thing but
> backwards.

Thanks Peter, "wifi to extend Ethernet". I'll do some more research and
I have a spare Raspberry pi.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Phil
On 16/04/2019, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know this is off topic but I don't know where else to ask.
>
> I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
> Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that gets
> it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I need is an
> Ethernet to wireless converter. I've looked at a couple of options from
> EBay but I cannot quite see how a wireless connection can be set. Maybe
> two wireless devices are required, one at the router and the other at
> the video recorder?
>
> Does anyone have experience with Ethernet to wireless converters?
>
> Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
> Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
> still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm that my
> network will still work by simply pulling out the phone line plug
> because the router automatically falls back to a mobile phone network
> connection.
>
> Thank you for all advice offered.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Phil
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>


Without knowing where you are located, try a search for TP-Link MR6400
4G modem/router.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Karl Auer
On 16/04/2019, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
> > Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that
> > gets it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I
> > need is an Ethernet to wireless converter.
> > [...]
> > Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
> > Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
> > still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm
> > that my network will still work by simply pulling out the phone
> > line plug because the router automatically falls back to a mobile
> > phone network connection.

Isn't that EXACTLY what you want and EXACTLY how to test it? Pull the
plug, let it fall back to the mobile connection, check that your
ethernet-connected devices still work. They should.

Your network WILL continue to work locally even in the absence of any
Internet connection, except that (obviously) you will not be able to
connect to anything outside your local network. If you really want to
test it, just pop the SIM out of your router (or pull the 3G/4G dongle
if that's what the fallback uses).

If you use IPv6, you get a prefix dynamically allocated to you, AND
Internet access is interrupted for long enough, devices on your local
link may lose their global unicast addresses. I suspect if that sort of
problem is likely to affect you, you probably already know how to deal
with it.

I'm not sure from your description where you think wireless comes in.
Mobile phone connections such as your router's fallback are often
called "fixed wireless", but they have nothing to do with wifi.

If you have any wifi-connected devices working now - such as (probably)
tablets, laptops or phones - then you do not need any new equipment.
Your router will continue to provide wifi as it does now. This does not
depend on ethernet access either.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Wade Smart-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
I would suggest another brand other than TPLink.
Any other brand.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:27 AM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 16/04/2019, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I know this is off topic but I don't know where else to ask.
> >
> > I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
> > Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that gets
> > it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I need is an
> > Ethernet to wireless converter. I've looked at a couple of options from
> > EBay but I cannot quite see how a wireless connection can be set. Maybe
> > two wireless devices are required, one at the router and the other at
> > the video recorder?
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with Ethernet to wireless converters?
> >
> > Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
> > Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
> > still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm that my
> > network will still work by simply pulling out the phone line plug
> > because the router automatically falls back to a mobile phone network
> > connection.
> >
> > Thank you for all advice offered.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Phil
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> >
>
>
> Without knowing where you are located, try a search for TP-Link MR6400
> 4G modem/router.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>  written by Douglas Adams,
>  published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> ....................................................
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
At Tue, 16 Apr 2019 22:25:38 +0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 16/04/2019, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I know this is off topic but I don't know where else to ask.
> >
> > I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
> > Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that gets
> > it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I need is an
> > Ethernet to wireless converter. I've looked at a couple of options from
> > EBay but I cannot quite see how a wireless connection can be set. Maybe
> > two wireless devices are required, one at the router and the other at
> > the video recorder?
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with Ethernet to wireless converters?
> >
> > Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
> > Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
> > still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm that my
> > network will still work by simply pulling out the phone line plug
> > because the router automatically falls back to a mobile phone network
> > connection.

Yes, typical "Wireless Internet Routers" will work as an Access Point with a
4-port Ethernet Switch, if you disconnect the WAN uplink.

> >
> > Thank you for all advice offered.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Phil
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> >
>
>
> Without knowing where you are located, try a search for TP-Link MR6400
> 4G modem/router.

Another option would be to use a Raspberry Pi 3, configured as a router. (Eg
fun with iptables and  'sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1'...

>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                           

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Karl Auer
On 16/04/2019, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/04/2019, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
>> > Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that
>> > gets it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I
>> > need is an Ethernet to wireless converter.
>> > [...]
>> > Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
>> > Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
>> > still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm
>> > that my network will still work by simply pulling out the phone
>> > line plug because the router automatically falls back to a mobile
>> > phone network connection.
>
> Isn't that EXACTLY what you want and EXACTLY how to test it? Pull the
> plug, let it fall back to the mobile connection, check that your
> ethernet-connected devices still work. They should.
>
> Your network WILL continue to work locally even in the absence of any
> Internet connection, except that (obviously) you will not be able to
> connect to anything outside your local network. If you really want to
> test it, just pop the SIM out of your router (or pull the 3G/4G dongle
> if that's what the fallback uses).
>
> If you use IPv6, you get a prefix dynamically allocated to you, AND
> Internet access is interrupted for long enough, devices on your local
> link may lose their global unicast addresses. I suspect if that sort of
> problem is likely to affect you, you probably already know how to deal
> with it.
>
> I'm not sure from your description where you think wireless comes in.
> Mobile phone connections such as your router's fallback are often
> called "fixed wireless", but they have nothing to do with wifi.
>
> If you have any wifi-connected devices working now - such as (probably)
> tablets, laptops or phones - then you do not need any new equipment.
> Your router will continue to provide wifi as it does now. This does not
> depend on ethernet access either.
>
> Regards, K.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Karl Auer ([hidden email])
> http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
> http://twitter.com/kauer389
>
> GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
> Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
>


I had not properly read the second paragraph of the original post.

From what is stated in that paragraph, I think Karl pretty much sums
it up - the original poster seems to already have all of the equipment
- the modem/router appears to be like the one I suggested - a 4G
modem/router that also can connect to wired broadband (in Australia,
the No B#@@%y Network), but, as Karl said, from the description of the
original poster, simply disconnect the modem/router from the NBN, and,
let it fly.

I am in the process of abandoning the NBN, to switch to 4G for
Internet access, but the first 4g modem/router that I tried (which is
at present, being used as only a wifi router) gave me speeds at ADSL2
levels, at best - speed test results 2-6Mbps (speedtest from
ozspeedtest.com), while my phone as a wifi hotspot, gave me speedtest
results of around 20Mbps; about the same as the best I got from the
NBN (when I could achieve connection to the NBN)

The first 4G modem/router that I tried, has 4 ethernet LAN sockets and
a WLAN socket (via which, it is connected to the NBN modem/router), in
addition to wifi, and, the TP-Link one also has both LAN and WLAN
ethernet sockets and wifi, so if the original poster has similar
functionality in his modem/router, he should have everything he needs,
other than the action of simply disconnecting it from the NBN (?),
and, letting it fly, through 4G.

At present, until I get a new SIM card for the new 4G modem/router, me
cellphone as a wifi hotspot, is the only stable and reliable access to
the Internet

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Wade Smart-2
On 16/04/2019, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would suggest another brand other than TPLink.
> Any other brand.
> --

Oh.

I bought one, to switch from the "No B#@@%y Network" (Australian wired
Internet access) to Internet access via 4G.

When I get a SIM card operational for it, I will find how well  it
does (or does not) work...

The other brand (of 4G modem/router) I already tried, I have already
mentioned its unsatisfactory nature.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Phil
In reply to this post by Karl Auer
On 17/4/19 12:47 am, Karl Auer wrote:
> Isn't that EXACTLY what you want and EXACTLY how to test it? Pull the
> plug, let it fall back to the mobile connection, check that your
> ethernet-connected devices still work.

No, once I cancel the landline, the router (or gateway) connection to
the Internet via wifi will no longer be available to me.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Phil
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On 17/4/19 2:06 am, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> At present, until I get a new SIM card for the new 4G modem/router, me
> cellphone as a wifi hotspot, is the only stable and reliable access to
> the Internet

It sounds like we are of a like mind Bret except I want to use my mobile
phone as the only connection to the Internet. I do not want the cost of
two accounts.

So, what I need is a device that will hot-spot to the mobile phone and
give me an Ethernet socket. The Raspberry suggestion is a good viable
option but it's perhaps not as portable as I would like.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Robert Heller
At Wed, 17 Apr 2019 10:49:55 +1000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 17/4/19 2:06 am, Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> > At present, until I get a new SIM card for the new 4G modem/router, me
> > cellphone as a wifi hotspot, is the only stable and reliable access to
> > the Internet
>
> It sounds like we are of a like mind Bret except I want to use my mobile
> phone as the only connection to the Internet. I do not want the cost of
> two accounts.
>
> So, what I need is a device that will hot-spot to the mobile phone and
> give me an Ethernet socket. The Raspberry suggestion is a good viable
> option but it's perhaps not as portable as I would like.


What is not portable about a Raspberry Pi?  Turning a Raspberry Pi involves
exactly the same sort of code/programs/configuration as turning any Linux
machine into a router (and actually, almost all of the appliance routers are
in fact ARM systems running Linux w/ Busybox).  Actually, your mobile is going
to be the real router and the Raspberry Pi just needs to be "switch" across
the wireless / wired parts of your LAN.  The only downside is the is not
802.11ac / Gigabit (does that matter?).

>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                         

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Karl Auer
In reply to this post by Phil
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 10:37 +1000, Phil wrote:
> No, once I cancel the landline, the router (or gateway) connection
> to the Internet via wifi will no longer be available to me.


I don't understand why that would be the case.

You have a router that provides wired and 3G/4G access to the Internet
and also acts as a wifi access point.

If the landline disappears, all that will happen is that the router
will fall back to 3G/4G, everything else will continue as before.

UNLESS the 3G/4G service is provided by the same provider as the
landline, and the two services are connected in some way, i.e.,
removing the landline also removes the 3G/4G access.

Even then, it will not affect your wifi, and Internet access can be
restored by purchasing a new 3G/4G account from the provider of your
choice, and installing the new SIM into your existing router.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Karl Auer
In reply to this post by Phil
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 10:49 +1000, Phil wrote:
> It sounds like we are of a like mind Bret except I want to use my
> mobile phone as the only connection to the Internet. I do not want
> the cost of two accounts.

OK, so this mysterious vanishing 3G/4G connection is in fact because
you are CHOOSING to cancel it. Fair enough.

> So, what I need is a device that will hot-spot to the mobile phone
> and give me an Ethernet socket. The Raspberry suggestion is a good
> viable option but it's perhaps not as portable as I would like.

Grab any access point that can be configured as a station, and use
that. Which means almost any modern commodity access point, but check
before purchase. You do not need a router, just an access point. Make
sure you get one with enough ethernet ports, or get a suitable switch
as well.

Your wifi devices will associate directly with the phone, and your
ethernet devices can be plugged into the ethernet ports on the access
point.

Be aware that most phone hotspots are not capable of handling more than
a very few simultaneous wifi connections.

Regards, K.


> -- 
> Regards,
> Phil
>

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Phil
On 17/4/19 12:10 pm, Karl Auer wrote:
>> So, what I need is a device that will hot-spot to the mobile phone
>> and give me an Ethernet socket. The Raspberry suggestion is a good
>> viable option but it's perhaps not as portable as I would like.
>
> Grab any access point that can be configured as a station,

OK Karl, that sounds like what I need. Because I live in the middle of
nowhere I'll have to search EBay and see what's available.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Karl Auer
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 12:38 +1000, Phil wrote:

> On 17/4/19 12:10 pm, Karl Auer wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > So, what I need is a device that will hot-spot to the mobile
> > > phone
> > > and give me an Ethernet socket. The Raspberry suggestion is a
> > > good
> > > viable option but it's perhaps not as portable as I would like.
> > Grab any access point that can be configured as a station,
> OK Karl, that sounds like what I need. Because I live in the middle
> of nowhere I'll have to search EBay and see what's available.

Check out the MikroTik range (via duxtel.com.au if you are in Oz). Very
good and very cheap. A little idiosyncratic to configure, but very
capable.

Any of these can do what you want, in order of price:

RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT (5x10/100/1000)
RBD52G-5HacD2HnD    (5x10/100/1000)
RB952Ui-5ac2nD      (5x 10/100)
RBmAP2nD            (1x 10/100, 2.4GHz only)

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Phil
On 17/4/19 1:28 pm, Karl Auer wrote:

>
> Check out the MikroTik range (via duxtel.com.au if you are in Oz). Very
> good and very cheap. A little idiosyncratic to configure, but very
> capable.
>
> Any of these can do what you want, in order of price:
>
> RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT (5x10/100/1000)
> RBD52G-5HacD2HnD    (5x10/100/1000)
> RB952Ui-5ac2nD      (5x 10/100)
> RBmAP2nD            (1x 10/100, 2.4GHz only)

Excellent, thank you Karl.

I have set up osmc on a raspberry pi with tvheadend and a cheap TV
dongle. The programme guide only works for channel 7 but I can set the
start and stop time for the ABC for example. It does what I want but
it's a bit of stuffing around.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Jared Norris
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 14:34, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

Excellent, thank you Karl.

I have set up osmc on a raspberry pi with tvheadend and a cheap TV
dongle. The programme guide only works for channel 7 but I can set the
start and stop time for the ABC for example. It does what I want but
it's a bit of stuffing around.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


I could be over simplifying, but you can get a USB to ethernet adapter for most phones these days, wouldn't you be able to just plug that into your existing network when you need it?

Regards,

Jared 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
At Tue, 16 Apr 2019 21:27:19 -0400 (EDT) "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> At Wed, 17 Apr 2019 10:49:55 +1000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >
> > On 17/4/19 2:06 am, Bret Busby wrote:
> > >
> > > At present, until I get a new SIM card for the new 4G modem/router, me
> > > cellphone as a wifi hotspot, is the only stable and reliable access to
> > > the Internet
> >
> > It sounds like we are of a like mind Bret except I want to use my mobile
> > phone as the only connection to the Internet. I do not want the cost of
> > two accounts.
> >
> > So, what I need is a device that will hot-spot to the mobile phone and
> > give me an Ethernet socket. The Raspberry suggestion is a good viable
> > option but it's perhaps not as portable as I would like.
>
>
> What is not portable about a Raspberry Pi?  Turning a Raspberry Pi involves
> exactly the same sort of code/programs/configuration as turning any Linux
> machine into a router (and actually, almost all of the appliance routers are
> in fact ARM systems running Linux w/ Busybox).  Actually, your mobile is going
> to be the real router and the Raspberry Pi just needs to be "switch" across
> the wireless / wired parts of your LAN.  The only downside is the is not
> 802.11ac / Gigabit (does that matter?).

All you really need to do is use *any* Linux machine that has both a hard
Ethernet and a Wireless Ethernet connection (an older Laptop or a desktop with
either a PCI Wireless or a USB wireless dongle) and configure the hard
ethernet (eth0) and wireless (wlan0) into a bridge device.  A Raspberry Pi 3
is a cheap, low-power option -- all of the hardware for $35 in a very small
form factor with no moving parts (eg rotating rust, fans, etc.).

>
> >
>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                                       

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users