OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
Hello,
My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks...

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Scott-22

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>Hello,
>My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
>numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
>approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
>mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
>distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks...

This one gets my vote.:

http://tinyurl.com/99

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Scott-22
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>Hello,
>My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
>numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
>approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
>mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
>distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks.

This one gets my vote.

http://tinyurl.com/9934g

EDIT: Excuse my previous message. The full URL didn't copy.

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

mtbeedee@gmail.com
On 11/7/05, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
> numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
> approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
> mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
> distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks...

Could always check sourceforge and look at the "most active" thing on
the left column.  Though there are projects that arent on sourceforge
so those dont factor in.

On 11/7/05, Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
> >numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
> >approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
> >mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
> >distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks.
> >

> This one gets my vote.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9934g

Funny stuff... I love it.

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

ompaul
Michael Beattie wrote:

>On 11/7/05, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
>>numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
>>approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
>>mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
>>distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks...
>>

>Could always check sourceforge and look at the "most active" thing on
>the left column.  Though there are projects that arent on sourceforge
>so those dont factor in.

I would imagine it is the GNU/Linux kernel in terms of downloads.

Regards,

Paul O'Malley

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Phillip Sc. Boegh
> On 11/7/05, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
>> numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
>> approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
>> mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
>> distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks...
>>

> Could always check sourceforge and look at the "most active" thing on
> the left column.
Bad suggestion!
And a lot of programs you only get the strange name without their
functionality an further mumerious are windows applications only.

> Though there are projects that arent on sourceforge so those dont factor
> in.
Yes in addition!

Better sugestions?

Phillip

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hello,
> My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
> numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
> approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
> mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
> distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks...

I don't have a definitive answer, but you might check this site, which
tracks several FLOSS projects for activity, the CIA Open Source
Notification System:

http://cia.navi.cx/

I don't think it tracks all projects, and other sites might have more
information. SourceForge also tracks project downloads/activity, but
there are a number of projects that aren't hosted on SourceForge.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <[hidden email]>
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/

"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On ma, 2005-11-07 at 05:09 -0700, Scott wrote:

> >My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --

[...]

> This one gets my vote.
> http://tinyurl.com/9934g

LOL!
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

On 11/7/05, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > Hello,
> > My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
> > numerous patches? Is there any data out there that tries to
> > approximate this? Perhaps a among the tops is Linux, Mono, Wine,
> > mozilla-firefox, openoffice... who else? What about the most active
> > distros (perhaps a tougher one to anwer)? Thanks...
> >

> I don't have a definitive answer, but you might check this site, which
> tracks several FLOSS projects for activity, the CIA Open Source
> Notification System:
>
> http://cia.navi.cx/

Nice project, nice goals. Thanks...

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Derek Broughton-2
Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:

> On ma, 2005-11-07 at 05:09 -0700, Scott wrote:
>
>> >My curiosity says: which of FLOSS projects is the most active --
>
> [...]
>
>> This one gets my vote.
>> http://tinyurl.com/9934g
>
> LOL!

I tend to click on every URL in the posts I read, and Konqueror opens them
in the background, so I often don't see the web page until I've read all my
morning mail & news.  I did that, went to Konqueror, and couldn't think
_why_ I had this page up.  I had to be swinging through ubuntu-users for a
second time to catch on :-)
--
derek

Re: OT: Most active FLOSS project?

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்

Derek Broughton wrote:

>>[...]
>>

>>>This one gets my vote.
>>>http://tinyurl.com/9934g
>>
>>LOL!
>

> I tend to click on every URL in the posts I read, and Konqueror opens them
> in the background, so I often don't see the web page until I've read all my
> morning mail & news.  I did that, went to Konqueror, and couldn't think
> _why_ I had this page up.  I had to be swinging through ubuntu-users for a
> second time to catch on :-)

Yup, you've got me as well :D Apparently they ran out of the free
samples of floss, may be because its free ;-) Ahhhh, if only normal
people understand FLOSS, what a better place this world would be.
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest