OT?

Dave Stevens
I've got an Acer laptop that came with Windows 10 installed and I'd
like to make it dual boot with Ubuntu, don't much care what version.
I've prepared a bootable usb stick. It boots fine with other computers
but not on the Acer. I've disabled secure boot in the BIOS and have no
option to change the boot order, Windows Boot Manager is the only
choice.

Can anyone point me to an information source for this issue? Off-list
is fine.

TIA,

Dave

Re: OT?

Nils Kassube-2
Dave Stevens wrote:
> I've got an Acer laptop that came with Windows 10 installed and I'd
> like to make it dual boot with Ubuntu, don't much care what version.
> I've prepared a bootable usb stick. It boots fine with other computers
> but not on the Acer. I've disabled secure boot in the BIOS and have
> no option to change the boot order, Windows Boot Manager is the only
> choice.

Maybe this helps (sorry it is in German):
<https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/wie-unter-win8-und-windows-boot-manager-ubuntu/>

The main point: In the UEFI setup the person who asked the question
disabled the Windows boot manager. Then he could boot from the USB
stick.

I hope it works for you the same way. BTW: Your question is definitely
not OT:

Nils

Bob

Re: OT?

Bob
** Reply to message from Dave Stevens <[hidden email]> on Sat, 9 Jun 2018
15:27:42 -0700

> I've got an Acer laptop that came with Windows 10 installed and I'd
> like to make it dual boot with Ubuntu, don't much care what version.
> I've prepared a bootable usb stick. It boots fine with other computers
> but not on the Acer. I've disabled secure boot in the BIOS and have no
> option to change the boot order, Windows Boot Manager is the only
> choice.
>
> Can anyone point me to an information source for this issue? Off-list
> is fine.

On a UEFI computer you ned to get to the UEFI boot menu and select the USB
device.  On my computer I have to hold down the Esc key when I power on.

--
Robert Blair

Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.  -- Douglas Casey, Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University